PDA

View Full Version : Magical Headwear: Add to the List

The Shadowdove
2017-01-23, 05:06 PM
Hey forum-lurkers.

One of the least worn magical items I have encountered in my 11 years of d&d ( I know, I joined the fun late) is headwear.

I believe we had a circlet of intellect once, borrowed, in one of our 3e games.

Let's hear some items you've encountered, as well as whatever you can come up with!

Thanks a dozen,

Dove.

The Shadowdove
2017-01-23, 05:07 PM
the list

1)Hat of Disguise-Post #3
2)Goggles of the night-Post #3
3)Hat of the Fisherman's wife(resistance to cold)-Post #4
4) helm of teleportation (recharge at dawn, cast teleportation)- Post # 5
5) Helm of Brilliance- Post #6
6) Ioun stone- Post #6
7) Resistance to psychic damage/charm-Post #9
8) alignment change- Post #8
9)comprehend languages- Post #10
10)true seeing helm-Post #11

Addaran
2017-01-23, 05:38 PM
Hat of disguise has always been a favorite of mine.

With how easy it is to get darkvision in 5ed, i'd really want googles of night vision if i play one of the few races deficient in that regard.

Flashy
2017-01-23, 05:41 PM
The group in one of the campaigns I play in had the Hat of the Fisherman's Wife, a fuzzy hat which magically granted resistance to cold damage.

I think that may be the only piece of magical headgear I've ever seen though?

Potato_Priest
2017-01-23, 08:00 PM
I've seen (and destroyed with lightning) the Helm of Teleportation, a fantastically campaign-breaking magic item. That was back when our group was still experimenting with buying magic items.

Gignere
2017-01-23, 08:44 PM
Current game we have Goggles of Night, Helm of Brilliance, and a unique Crown. We also have an Ioun Stone not sure if you count that as headgear because it swirls around the head.

The Shadowdove
2017-01-23, 09:05 PM
Current game we have Goggles of Night, Helm of Brilliance, and a unique Crown. We also have an Ioun Stone not sure if you count that as headgear because it swirls around the head.

Sure, I'll count Ioun stone. Even though i think you can wear a head item with it. Since it's a magical item in it's own right.

What did this unique crown do?

Note: The items don't have to be things that exist in published material. I'm just as curious to see what people have encountered that is unique to their game as well!

StorytellerHero
2017-01-23, 09:11 PM
Helmet of Alignment Change was a cute surprise back in 2e.

Gignere
2017-01-23, 09:16 PM
Sure, I'll count Ioun stone. Even though i think you can wear a head item with it. Since it's a magical item in it's own right.

What did this unique crown do?

Note: The items don't have to be things that exist in published material. I'm just as curious to see what people have encountered that is unique to their game as well!

Requires attunement and had three powers:

1. Resistance to psychic damage
2. Advantage on saves against charm effects
3. Bonus action to grant a d6 to ability checks, saves, or attack rolls. 3 times a day.

Naanomi
2017-01-23, 09:47 PM
Our group just found a helm of comprehend languages (neogi were using it to facilitate trade negotiations for slaves from various worlds)

furby076
2017-01-23, 09:50 PM
Helm of true seeing is not only awesome, but looks cool
Helm of brilliance. In older editions...first order of business, use every gem except 1 light gem immediately. I aint wearing a bomb on my head
Helm of disguise is cheap and great

The Shadowdove
2017-01-24, 01:38 PM
Awesome so far, keep em coming.

We had a had that wasn't magical in one of our games, basically a white cowboy hat, but our foppish bard got into trouble later when he realized the fancy hat he was wearing belonged to a missing ranger.

We've also encounter goggles of the night.

Plaguescarred
2017-01-24, 03:39 PM
Hat of Telepathy

Circlet of protection

Helm of Mind Shielding

Vizier's Turban (not so much a magic item but a symbiotic creature http://www.lomion.de/cmm/viziturb.php)

Saeviomage
2017-01-24, 06:19 PM
Helm of the ram (ring of the ram, except uses a melee attack instead of a ranged spell attack).

Goggles of minute seeing - allowed you to tell the time

Kileonhardt
2017-01-25, 12:18 AM
I know they've all been listed already but in my current session we've used headband of intellect, hat of disguise, helm of comprehend languages, and goggles of night.

Human loved the goggles, Bladesinger loved the headband for super boosting INT early, the other two just stuck around a while for random uses.

Plaguescarred
2017-01-25, 06:45 PM
Helm of the ram (ring of the ram, except uses a melee attack instead of a ranged spell attack).Now that's cool!