PDA

View Full Version : Racial Slurs Referring to d&d races.

The Shadowdove
2017-01-23, 05:30 PM
Hey forum-lurkers,

Edit: Let's include racial slurs for all races! How would a dwarf, halfling, halforc, dragon born, gnome, elf, Goliath, tiefling, human, or any other race refer to or be referred to by a race they are not entirely appreciative of.

My character has been cursed and we don't have access to the 'remove curse' spell at the moment. We don't even know it's a curse in-game, and everyone just thinks my character is insensitive.

I somehow insulted a dwarven king's ghost. Now I can't resist saying a derogatory term whenever I see an elf.

We are being sent as diplomats into the underdark...

Give me a list of slurs you can think of!

Thanks a dozen,

Dove

Callin
2017-01-23, 05:34 PM
Other than your typical nature hippie slurs there are slurs based on their ears. Then you pick on how slow they are to act. Long lives and slow action. Like a tortoise.

GlenSmash!
2017-01-23, 05:36 PM
Hey forum-lurkers,

My character has been cursed and we don't have access to the 'remove curse' spell at the moment. We don't even know it's a curse in-game, and everyone just thinks my character is insensitive.

I somehow insulted a dwarven king's ghost. Now I can't resist saying a derogatory term whenever I see an elf.

We are being sent as diplomats into the underdark...

Give me a list of slurs you can think of!

Thanks a dozen,

Dove

"Knife-ear" is one from the Dragon Age games. "Pointy-ear" is one from the LoTR Two Towers Movie. I don't know much beyond that.

Erys
2017-01-23, 05:40 PM
Shadowrun has a bunch of good racial slurs (found via google); though many won't work because of the genre divide.

One favorite for Elves is "dandelion eater", so I guess with Drow it could be tweaked to "moss licker."

Sigreid
2017-01-23, 05:40 PM
I've always liked "Pointy eare'd molesters of small furry animals."

JumboWheat01
2017-01-23, 05:53 PM
Knife-Ear is a good one, though a LOT of things have pointy ears in D&D games, so it may not be the best.

Spider-lover might work, as it's pretty much geared towards drow. Pale-heads might work too. Ooh, try surface-rejects. That ought to sting.

You could also just start spitting out random things in dwarven. I'm pretty sure any elf would be insulted even if they don't know the language.

TundraBuccaneer
2017-01-23, 05:58 PM
frail bones, twig legs, princes(they are all damsels in distress right?), light weight, half width, mushroom dancers, senile (something or other).

to name a few topics: age, long lived race, skinny, long hair, fair looking, adapted to nature

Fishyninja
2017-01-23, 06:03 PM
If I recall correctly Drow tend to have a Matriarchal based society so insults directed at mothers could be a good bet.

TL/DR Versions: Your Mum jokes.

Or refer to them as Drizzt's that should piss them off.

For regular elves...leaf eater, points (as an alternative to knife ear),Thinwrists, swooning willows, pixies?

Mith
2017-01-23, 06:11 PM
I thought "Elf" was a good enough insult. :smalltongue:

No ideas for now besides "scurriers" as they scurry away like the spider kissers they are. I will share more when inspired.

Draco4472
2017-01-23, 06:39 PM
Well I've always been found of calling Drow 'spider-f*ckers' when insulting them.

For surface elves, 'fairy' could be used in an insulting manner, a blow to their fey ancestry.

'Tree-f*cker' would work for wood-elves. 'Fish-f*ucker' for sea elves.

I'm not great at this sort of thing.

raygun goth
2017-01-23, 06:39 PM
Most slurs are collapsed versions of words that are normal in some instances, while used with an insulting tone (not listing real-world examples here, but there are those that are bastardized versions of a country's name, or a term used to describe the shape of a fruit, or even terms with completely unknown origins). Slurs are also short. This is a very important rule. If it is longer than three syllables, chances are bigots won't want to say it. If it is composed of two or more words, contract it, because that is what people will do.

For elves, some examples might include:

Peezies
Kwessers (from Tel-quessir)
Toffs (derogatory for upper class or snooty people)
Mudders (wild elves/wood elves)
Pictos (wild elves, derivative of "painted" or "wearing woad")
Arties (sun elves; ar-tel-quessir)
Toiks (moon elves; teu-tel-quessir)

"Tel-quessir more inclined towards nature can choose to be buried under the roots of a tree in Cormanthor and subject to a particular blessing of either High Magic or druidic magic. They are then transformed into a Treant. Female Tel-quessir can also choose to transform themselves into either a dryad or a nymph when they die through a ritual."

Dang, this is all kinds of fodder.

Withers, pobbos, rooters (rooting being slang for the act of sex, comparing dirty sex to being buried in tree roots), dippers, quitters, heepos (they're "quitting" the cycle of nature and circumventing the afterlife like hypocrites).

JellyPooga
2017-01-23, 06:41 PM
Simply suffixing or prefixing every instance of the word "elf" with "bastard" should do the trick. Even in the most nonsensical and inappropriate context.

e.g.
"This is an elf bastard blade"
"Hmm, I suspect that guy is a half-elven bastard"
"This tastes like bastard elven wine"

It's a decently PG-13 slur that should pass most censorship standards, yet still carrying that truly truly offensive tone appropriate to a curse of this nature.

Potato_Priest
2017-01-23, 07:06 PM
A few from the hobbit:
Faithless woodland sprite
Pointy eared princess

Generally, you should focus your insults around their immasculinity and frailness.

Dimers
2017-01-23, 07:42 PM
Ponce, fop, popinjay, dandy, prancer.

Nancy-boy.

'Touched', short for 'Lolth-touched' but with a double entendre.

For sexual insults, twig-d*ck or pebble-t*ts might do. Gimme a broad build any day of the week, this light-and-skinny look is for the birds. :smallannoyed:

Dwarf-lover out!

EDIT: My daughter just suggested "almost-human." Considering what drow think of everybody else, "sub-human" might get under their skin.

ChubbyRain
2017-01-23, 07:50 PM
"Knife-ear" is one from the Dragon Age games. "Pointy-ear" is one from the LoTR Two Towers Movie. I don't know much beyond that.

Those sound like a 5 year old is trying to swear. Not a very good slur at all.

2D8HP
2017-01-23, 07:52 PM
LEAF MUNCHING, SQUIRREL KISSING, TWIG LIMBED FREAKS!
(for surface elves)

STICKY, SPIDER KISSING, 'SHROOM ADDLED, TWIG LIMBED FREAKS!
(for Drow)

JumboWheat01
2017-01-23, 08:11 PM
Those sound like a 5 year old is trying to swear. Not a very good slur at all.

It's less the words and more the tone they're delivered with. It's one thing you can't really translate into text.

ChubbyRain
2017-01-23, 08:24 PM
It's less the words and more the tone they're delivered with. It's one thing you can't really translate into text.

Yeah, no.

Slurs have to have some sort of meaning, some sort of bite.

I got called a cracker once, that's a slur that is actually pretty smart... Crack (sound that a whip makes) + er (a person) = racist.

You would need to have something with substance, just pointing out that a race has pointy ears... Just makes you look stupid.

JumboWheat01
2017-01-23, 08:26 PM
Yeah, no.

I got called a cracker once, that's a slur that is actually pretty smart... Crack (sound that a whip makes) + er (a person) = racist.

You would need to have something with substance, just pointing out that a race has pointy ears... Just makes you look stupid.

I've always assumed it was because crackers are white and salty. Never really made any sense to me.

ChubbyRain
2017-01-23, 08:37 PM
I've always assumed it was because crackers are white and salty. Never really made any sense to me.

Nope.

I love how so many people don't get it XD.

Sigreid
2017-01-23, 08:37 PM
Really, just take any racist, bigoted statement or joke you've ever heard and point it at elves.

Cybren
2017-01-23, 09:09 PM
Yeah, no.

I think, perhaps, that someone who can be described with a colloquial term for "white person" isn't really in a position to say what is or isn't an adequately biting racial slur

The Ship's dog
2017-01-23, 09:11 PM
In the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett's, Elves are really quite evil creatures. Every single one of them is a sadistic sociopath (with the exception being in The Shepherd's Crown) and if you say 'Elf' they come calling.

As a precaution then, people say things like "the Gentry" or "the Shining ones", spit on the ground and touch iron. Because Crow are anything but 'shining' you could say 'the Shining ones' sarcastically and spit on the ground at their feet.

Not sure if it makes much sense but that's my contribution.

MustacheManny
2017-01-23, 10:28 PM
To quote The 10th Kingdom: Suck an elf!
It's not really a slur but more of an expletive. As far as a racial slur, 'keeb' short for Keebler elf. Bark-biter, Frail-fey... this is harder than I anticipated.

2D8HP
2017-01-23, 11:24 PM
In the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett's, Elves are....
As a precaution then, people say things like "the Gentry" or "the Shining ones", spit on the ground and touch iron.....

I'm a big fan of how Pratchett's (and Clarke!, and Gaiman!) portray the "Fair Folk" (elves), and having an elfophobic character in D&D sounds intriguing.

....Bark-biter....

Ooh! I wish I thought of that!

Sigreid
2017-01-23, 11:49 PM
I think, perhaps, that someone who can be described with a colloquial term for "white person" isn't really in a position to say what is or isn't an adequately biting racial slur

That's pretty racist. I am typically regarded as white (other stuff in there), and I find cracker, white boy and several other terms offensive since their sole purpose is to draw separating lines over a bit of genetic code that should not matter at all.

raygun goth
2017-01-24, 12:11 AM

"I should explain to your Lordship what is meant by crackers; a name they have got from being great boasters; they are a lawless set of rascalls on the frontiers of Virginia, Maryland, the Carolinas and Georgia, who often change their places of abode." - 1766, G. Cochrane

"Crack" as in "to boast," as in, colloquially, "make a crack."

It also referred (non-derogatory use) to a particular group of settlers dwelling in Georgia and Florida (one half of my family is descended from Florida Crackers - one of my uncles still owns his corn plantation that our ancestors worked). By at least the 1860s, it had become derogatory in the United States. S'got nothing to do with whips.

Cybren
2017-01-24, 12:24 AM
That's pretty racist. I am typically regarded as white (other stuff in there), and I find cracker, white boy and several other terms offensive since their sole purpose is to draw separating lines over a bit of genetic code that should not matter at all.

I think any further discussion of this is going to get a lot of people in trouble so I'm stating for the record I'm not continuing

Quoxis
2017-01-24, 11:42 AM
I think any further discussion of this is going to get a lot of people in trouble so I'm stating for the record I'm not continuing

Now i imagine drow gangs looting cities while high elves discuss whether they can stop them without it being racism.
Also Drow saying "I'm a drow, i can't be racist."

Plaguescarred
2017-01-24, 12:14 PM
Too Girly To Tel'Quessir

Complete Handbook Sucker

Shemale

EvilAnagram
2017-01-24, 12:27 PM
Frolicking tree rats seems appropriate.

Asmotherion
2017-01-24, 12:39 PM
Drow Applicable:

-Spider Kisser
-You are very manly (to a Female Drow Fighter)
-Quit ordering around, and bring your wife here... she's obviously more accustomed in that are than you (Drow Male/Hurts 'cause it's true)
-Your mama jokes (to any Drow, especially a noble)
-I'm thankful your females are showing their boobs to everyone, or I couldent tell who's what down here. You people have the same voice tonality and manerism reguardles of gender... though admitingly, your women are slightly more manly than your men.
-Back in my village there is also a temple for women like you... it's called a brothel (to a Drow Priestess)
-"Anything suggesting phaleocratic ideas or male superiority over females" (to drow Females)
-I don't get it... You say you believe in this cLolth, yet non of you wear nearly enough of them (To Drow Priestess)

You said Underdark, that's why I included only Draw applicable ones.

ChubbyRain
2017-01-24, 12:39 PM

I'm sorry, but are suggesting that because I'm white I'm ignorant of a topic? Being hurt by a slur isn't the same as understanding what makes a good slur or understanding MY HUGE MULTICULTURAL FAMILY when they are slured at.

Want to know why the watermelon stereotype hurts so much? The watermelon was an example of freedom in the beginning as freed black ex-slaves needed an easy crop to grow, so they grew and sold watetmelons. The very symbol of freedom got turned around. My old black aunt won't touch watermelon even though she loves it almost as much as I do.

My uncle is from Turkey, and is Muslim, guess what he has had to deal with?

My mother in law (she had one daughter while in China) is in her 60's, born and raised in China... Think about all the things she went through. It didn't get much better when she came to the states.

Hell, even from myself. I'm from white trash, try getting a job when you sound twangy as all hell. They automatically assume you are a stupid red neck and they pass you over. I had to relearn how to speak, due to my thick accent, once I left the country side.

So keep your racism to yourself, I don't need to hear it

Ruslan
2017-01-24, 01:04 PM
I just call them "Tree Lovers". Except instead of "Love", a different 4-letter word is used.

TentacleSurpris
2017-01-24, 01:13 PM
My dwarf character liked to use:

Bark-eater
Leaf-chewer
Dew-drinker

TheUser
2017-01-24, 03:59 PM
I had a character who was a racist against elves (he was half-elf ironically....) he used to nag our Elf mage incessantly.
"Damn long-ears...Hey! just because you live so long doesn't mean you have to take your sweet time gettin' things done! Pick up the pace you dainty priss of a tree-hugger!"

Fishyninja
2017-01-24, 04:05 PM
Skinnymeats - though this really only applies to people who want to eat them.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-01-24, 04:41 PM
Skinnymeats - though this really only applies to people who want to eat them.
*sigh* Guys, we've been through this...

19. Drow are not good eating.

arrowed
2017-01-24, 05:05 PM
Fey-mongrels.
Human-lovers/ breed-with-anythings
Discount dryads.
Web-wearing demon-lovers.

Demonslayer666
2017-01-24, 05:56 PM
Cloud-hopping daisy-sniffers.

Addaran
2017-01-24, 06:15 PM
*sigh* Guys, we've been through this... Quote Originally Posted by Things Mr Welch can no longer do during an RPG
19. Drow are not good eating.

Where is this quote from? I'd love to read the full list of wisdom nuggets. =p

ApplePen
2017-01-24, 07:41 PM
Someone at my game table once got real world upset because my character was racist towards elves. Here's a few I used to use;

Willow-****
Babyface
Boylover
Thimble lush
Piss drinker
Three quarterling
Prancer
Fop
*****rdly Craven armchair warrior
Bird boned
Knife ear
Weed eater

Rhynear
2017-01-24, 07:59 PM
Just tell them that their mothers were hamsters and their fathers smelt of elderberries.

Wymmerdann
2017-01-24, 08:00 PM
+1 to "Knife Ears" purely because Dragon Age Origins gives us such an extended and immersive example of it. It DOES rely on context and delivery, but extended and appropriate use of it does the trick masterfully [it also packs a nice benefit of not being homophobic, which some anti-elf puns tend to come across as].

The idea that a racist epithet is too childish is self-defeating, and I'd encourage that poster to do a run through of the city elf origin in Dragon Age to give it a fair hearing.

Frankly, I find the behaviour-mocking insults less credible. They remind me of "cheese eating surrender monkey" for the French: less to do with severe social inequality and oppression, and more to do with poking fun [albeit stupidly] at a neighbour.

JumboWheat01
2017-01-24, 08:17 PM
Just tell them that their mothers were hamsters and their fathers smelt of elderberries.

Considering Boo (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Boo), having a parent as a hamster may be a good thing.

GorinichSerpant
2017-01-24, 09:59 PM
It may seem a bit of a cop out but you could say that you shout out something angry in dwarven regardless of whether or not your character knows dwarven. If anyone in the party knows that language then say that it's an untranslatable turn of phrase.

Deleted
2017-01-24, 10:05 PM
If you are making an insult, it needs to hurt.

Real slurs wouldn't be acceptable on most forums... Even if they are directed at fantasy characters...

Elfcest/Incest-lings

Why do all elves look alike? Well when a brother elf and a sister elf love each other...

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-01-25, 03:51 AM
Where is this quote from? I'd love to read the full list of wisdom nuggets. =p

From the list of 2450 things Mr. Welch can no longer do during an RPG (http://theglen.livejournal.com/16735.html). Essentially like Skippy's List (http://skippyslist.com/list/), and it's what our very own Things I May No Longer Do When Playing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?478028-Things-I-May-No-Longer-Do-While-Playing-X-Bard-is-not-a-valid-choice) thread is ripped off from inspired by. All come highly recommended.

Sir cryosin
2017-01-25, 08:21 AM
We were joking around last night before are game. Talking about in high school people would use food names as insults.

Douche
2017-01-25, 08:57 AM
I play a dwarf myself, and I'm currently in the Underdark, and I hate Drow cuz they destroyed my brewery!

So I call them all filthy grey-skins. I also said they'd lick a goblins toes for a copper, the cave-dwelling cretins.

The Shadowdove
2017-02-02, 05:57 PM
These are all amazing so far!

I got a good laugh out of many of them as well.

Perhaps we could get some more.

Include some for other races too if you like!

I need a lot for Drow, my character hates drow.

Princess
2017-02-02, 07:20 PM
Something to remember with all this, especially in the world of D&D, is that this sort of thing will start fights. I see a lot of wood elf hate in this slur list, but wood elves are a rural isolationist society where everyone learns archery. So they probably have a much more biting term for anyone using these slurs:

Target practice.

wardeng
2017-02-02, 07:40 PM
Lolliepop - In the old days, just Lollie, derived from their demon goddess. In newer times the -pop was added to further demoralize and infantilize the too serious, long-lived race.

IESs (pronounced eyes) - An acronym standing for "in exile of the surface" implying an otherness or lack of connection to any ancient origin.

Oozebait - especially for children

Funger - referring to the bioluminescent fungi common in drow cuisine

Grey Watcher
2017-02-02, 09:10 PM
I think my favorite D&D slur is from Start of Darkness: a goblin calling humans "roundteeth" (though it works from nearly any of the "monstrous" to any or all of the conventional player races.

Dr. Cliché
2017-02-03, 06:24 AM
I seem to recall 'lawn ornament' being used in one of the Pratchett books. I think it was referring to a dwarf, though I imagine it could also work for Gnomes and possibly Halflings too.

Regitnui
2017-02-03, 07:40 AM
Pity the disc world trolls don't have a analogue in D&D...

Fishyninja
2017-02-03, 03:42 PM
These are all amazing so far!

I got a good laugh out of many of them as well.

Perhaps we could get some more.

Include some for other races too if you like!

I need a lot for Drow, my character hates drow.

Referring back to a previous post of mine in this thread:

If I recall correctly Drow tend to have a Matriarchal based society so insults directed at mothers could be a good bet.

TL/DR Versions: Your Mum jokes.

Or refer to them as Drizzt's that should piss them off.

quinron
2017-02-03, 04:16 PM
If you really want to insult a drow, you don't need racial epithets - you just need to refer to them like surface elves in a way that indicates you clearly know better.

AbyssStalker
2017-02-03, 04:48 PM
Hmm...

Dumbinatrix, Sootglutes, maybe you could just call them a drider and get away with it...

Or you could just call em peasants, riff-raff, or commoners, something to imply that they are low class, and are beneath your notice.

rlc
2017-02-04, 05:45 AM
Weird-ass ear lady boy