PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Create Demiplane Master Thread

Zhentarim
2017-01-23, 05:39 PM
I have a number of questions about create demiplane

1) Is it worth it to have a permanent demiplane?

2) How do you enter and leave the demiplane you create?

3) Would it be rules legal to create a demiplane where for every 100 trillion years that pass on the demiplane, only one second passes on the material plane? Could it be useful to do this for endless spell preparation and the like?

4) What can I do to keep enemy spellcasters from finding my demiplane?

Psyren
2017-01-23, 06:06 PM
1) That pretty much depends on its creator. What do you plan on doing with it that you couldn't do with, say, a tower?

2) Assuming simple Plane Shift is not possible, your main routes would be a portal of some kind, Gate, or Wish. All of these would also be usable by people who are not you, so be sure to use de

3) Technically Timeless would do this, but unless you and anyone who visits are immortal, staying there that long might not be wise. Other than the Timeless trait though, the fastest you can make your plane's time flow by RAW is 1 day per round outside.

4) Your best bet is giving them no reason to come looking for you. Once you hit a certain level, it's impossible to truly hide everything you do - between Legend Lore, Vision, Commune, Contact Other Plane etc., people can generally snoop on what you're up to.

Milo v3
2017-01-23, 06:34 PM

Depends on your character concept I suppose.

Normally planeshift.

3) Would it be rules legal to create a demiplane where for every 100 trillion years that pass on the demiplane, only one second passes on the material plane? Could it be useful to do this for endless spell preparation and the like?
No. Closest you can get is half-time or erratic time (which can make it 1 round = 1 day, but it is more likely to be 1 day = 1 round). Unfortunately the timeless planar trait does not work as Psyren suggests. The timeless trait causes the ramifications of time (like hunger and natural healing) to be paused, but it does not cause the plane to have it's time paused relative to other planes.

Steal all the metal of the type assigned to your plane in the universe and cover them all in non-detection magic and lead and really really hope no one steals the metal that's on your person.

Psyren
2017-01-23, 06:51 PM
No. Closest you can get is half-time or erratic time (which can make it 1 round = 1 day, but it is more likely to be 1 day = 1 round). Unfortunately the timeless planar trait does not work as Psyren suggests. The timeless trait causes the ramifications of time (like hunger and natural healing) to be paused, but it does not cause the plane to have it's time paused relative to other planes.

Point, I missed the line that time still flows. It is only effects related to time that get diminished or stopped, which can make setting your watch pretty frustrating I imagine.

Steal all the metal of the type assigned to your plane in the universe and cover them all in non-detection magic and lead and really really hope no one steals the metal that's on your person.

That'll stop Plane Shift (well, sort of - I mean, nothing really stops them from just making more of that metal via PAO or something.) But even if you successfully stop that, there's still things like Gate and Wish that will just take you there without a problem.

Sayt
2017-01-23, 06:54 PM

1. Value and worth are subjective.
2. Natural portals can need added by additional castings of create demiplane (greater). Otherwise, planeshift.
4. Be careful and sneaky with the tuning fork. (Hide it in a wand slotted wespon, for example). Use forbiddance and/or teleport trap to preventer unauthorised incursions

Jack_Simth
2017-01-23, 08:04 PM

Depends heavily on the campaign and the DM. For some DM's, having a fortress of any kind is too much of a temptation. It's a thing you value, and so in making a credible threat to it, he gets easy plot. The trouble is, sooner or later, a credible threat will come to pass, and you'll lose the investment.

However: A place to store things, and a place to rest, is always useful... if it's safe.

With the Pathfinder Create Demiplane line (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/createDemiplane.html), you have the option of ejecting anyone who's in there. Anyone includes yourself, so you can leave very easily (it puts you about where you were when you first cast it).

One of the options in the line of spells is making a permanent portal.

Beyond those options, it's Plane Shift and Gate.

In Pathfinder, no. The Create Demiplane line (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/createDemiplane.html) is very specific about what you can do. Closest you can get is "Time: By default, time passes at the normal rate in your demiplane. By selecting this feature, you may make your plane have the erratic time, flowing time (half or double normal time), or timeless trait (see Time)." from Create Demiplane, Greater. That said... the interaction between the timeless trait and Time Stop is an interesting question. That might get you what you want, which would be VERY useful (time stop; plane shift to your demiplane in the first round; Rest up and prepare spells while the time stop doesn't tick down; prepare just for this encounter; buff up; Gate back to where you started; permit Time Stop to expire).

Forbiddance, be careful about who you let know about it, hide your focus well. Make the place small, and keep it mostly full (so there's no open space to go to). Nothing can really STOP people from getting there (if nothing else, Wish has a very pesky clause), but you can make it expensive to do. Which won't stop the DM, who is likely to be the only person to try. This is mostly pointless.

Edit:
Oh yes, if you're using Genesis (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/g/genesis) on the other hand, then the ejection clause doesn't apply. You can, however, use the Create Demiplane line to make changes to your Genesis-created demiplane, though.

If you want a permanent demiplane, I would suggest Genesis with modification via the Create Demiplane line, rather than the Create Demiplane Line plus Permanency. The biggest reason being Genesis is inherently Instant, which means no dispelling - plus it'll generally be bigger (one Genesis casting gives you a 60 foot radius sphere, which works out to 9.05×10^5 cubic feet; at caster level 20, Create Greater Demiplane gives you 400,000 cubic feet, which is only 4x10^5 cubic feet... and if you cast Genesis a second time to enlarge your plane, the radius jumps to 7.24×10^6 cubic feet: Create Greater Demiplane is linear in volume with more castings, Genesis is polynomial in volume with more castings, AND starts out with more volume... and only costs 2,500 gp more to make Permanent than Genesis costs initially).

WhatThePhysics
2017-01-23, 08:21 PM

1) Yeah, maybe.

2) While everyone's been suggesting Plane Shift, I'll suggest Astral Caravan as a lower level alternative. Etherealness is much higher than both, and Shadow Walk is slightly higher than Plane Shift, but both can let you use the planar pathways described in Manual of the Planes.

3) If you become a deity with a divine rank of 16+, and specify the demiplane as your godly realm, you can spend a year and one day to add the flowing time trait.

4) As stated by others, there's a point where you can't hide from sufficiently determined and resourceful foes. You could, however, set up some sort of automatic system that immediately detects and deals with observers and intruders. I'd go into the specifics, but once you can create your own demiplane, the game becomes a bit too tedious and contrived for my tastes.

Jack_Simth
2017-01-23, 08:40 PM
That'll stop Plane Shift (well, sort of - I mean, nothing really stops them from just making more of that metal via PAO or something.) But even if you successfully stop that, there's still things like Gate and Wish that will just take you there without a problem.Plus the use of critters with Plane Shift as an SLA, no focus needed.
2) While everyone's been suggesting Plane Shift, I'll suggest Astral Caravan as a lower level alternative. Etherealness is much higher than both, and Shadow Walk is slightly higher than Plane Shift, but both can let you use the planar pathways described in Manual of the Planes.

3) If you become a deity with a divine rank of 16+, and specify the demiplane as your godly realm, you can spend a year and one day to add the flowing time trait.Note: This thread is tagged Pathfinder. Manual of the Planes and Dieties and Demigods are both 3.X books. Listed as compatible with minor mods per Paizo, but not to be taken as a given at most tables.

WhatThePhysics
2017-01-23, 08:48 PM
Note: This thread is tagged Pathfinder. Manual of the Planes and Dieties and Demigods are both 3.X books. Listed as compatible with minor mods per Paizo, but not to be taken as a given at most tables.

My mistake, I didn't notice the tag.

Zhentarim
2017-01-23, 08:55 PM
My thought is since we have a CG party fighting a LE government, we could put the plane in a safehouse, and go there as needed. I like the advice I've gotten so far and will definitely look into it. I'd love a chance to have a fortress where I can go and always be prepared.