PDA

View Full Version : Optimization PO Challenge: The Prepared Wizard

icefractal
2017-01-23, 07:01 PM
Much has been written about Wizards, and the general consensus is that with sufficient preparation, they can handle just about anything - except another Wizard (or other equally versatile caster). If we look at any given situation, there's a way a Wizard can deal with it, and usually a way they can trivially deal with it, and those ways have been enumerated in multiple threads.

What I haven't seen much of is: What does The Prepared Wizard look like in concrete detail? It's all very well to have a cloud of possibilities, but to use one as a PC or NPC we have to nail those down to realities. Therefore, this is a challenge to develop that Wizard, for the benefit of everyone who wants to use one in a game, and maybe make some interesting discoveries along the way.

The Challenge:
What spells, feats, items, preparations, and so forth would you use to protect a Wizard from the hazards of living in a D&D setting and having enemies? The less of the character's resources are used for this, the better.

System: Pathfinder, Paizo + DSP
The reason for using Pathfinder here is primarily the existence of the SRD. With 3.5 builds, there's no (legal) way to look up all the spells/feats/etc used without having the books at hand. Also, I think there may be more left to discover in Pathfinder, with the shorter time it's been around. I threw DSP stuff in because it's fun and a fair number of GMs allow it, but feel free to make a "Paizo only" build if you want.

Setting: Golarion
In terms of "what creatures exist" for Simulacrum and other purposes, any published creature or NPC does.
Outside of that, any character that could exist as a 20th level PC can exist, but the fewer of these you need to specify the better.

Character: Human Wizard 20, standard WBL, 20 point buy.
* Holing up in a demiplane and acting through proxies is the easy way, but we can do better. This Wizard lives in a metropolis (such as Absalom), has a house there where they spend several hours a day, walks around the city (alone, or at least apparently alone), meets people in person, and has a reputation that involves their real identity.
* The less of the character's resources (specialization/archetypes, items, spells prepared, feats, wealth) you use for this purpose, the better. Using more than half of a given category would be a failure; we want to do things other than survive. Spells known are free.
* Since wealth is a resource we're optimizing, no ignoring it via Blood Money / Wish / whatever.
* No NI loops, for the same reason.

Keeping it Real
This is a Practical Optimization challenge, and the whole point is to be concrete. So things only count to the extent that you specify them. Using divinations is an important asset, but you have to say what divinations you'd use and what questions you'd ask with them. If your divination strategy is too complex for a flow-chart type of approach, then I'll create a potential threat and you can divine against that. Same goes for prepared spells, obviously.

Making a whole build can be a lot of work, so go ahead and post partial stuff or single tricks if you want, that's useful also. However, please skip anything super-vague like "Use Planar Binding to get all info, details left as an exercise for the reader" - see Keeping it Real.

Mato
2017-01-23, 09:13 PM
Much has been written about Wizards, and the general consensus is that with sufficient preparation,I'm pretty sure all of those articles are about D&D, not pathfinder, but w/e.

icefractal
2017-01-23, 10:55 PM
It's not going to be the heights that a 3.5 Wizard can reach, but PF Wizards are still T1 casters, are they not?

I'll start an attempt myself, maybe an easy target to beat will give people some inspiration.
1) Class: Diviner, Scorpion Familiar (any familiar archetype)
2) Spells: Greater Magic Weapon, Life Bubble, Mind Blank
3) Items: Cracked Dusty Rose Prism (probably in a Wayfinder to be less conspicuous), +1 Guardian Dueling Gauntlet, Cloak of Resistance +5.
4) Other Expenditures: Cyclic Reincarnation (5k; +3 to mental stats, why wouldn't you?), Permanency for Lesser Create Demiplane (17.5K, add all the traits you want with Greater Create Demiplane).

So far, that's 39 Initiative, always acts in the surprise round, and +10 to saves. Costs are pretty minor, except for taking the school pick, but there's obviously more to do here. The "other expenditures" aren't technically defensive, just for reference since you'd want them anyway.

If we start adding minions, then things get a lot crazier. For instance, a Trompe L'oeil Wizard 20 would only cost 11K, and could completely remove the buff cost to you by spending its slots instead. Even personal spells could be added this way by using Magic Jar.
With DSP material added, make it a Sorcerer 20 instead (or any spontaneous caster), add a Wilder 10 also (6K), and use Psychic Reformation to switch spells at will.

I think you can get a lot of mileage out of minions that you just keep at home to buff you as needed, but if you want to take them along with you inconspicuously, that's not hard either. One way is to make an article of clothing which is an Animated Object. A Sorcerer minion with the Impossible bloodline can use Magic Jar to possess that object. Or a Ghost with the Vehemence power.

It's not such a barren field, is what I'm saying. :smallbiggrin:

vasilidor
2017-01-24, 12:21 AM
point buy: str10, dex12, con 12, int 18, wis 9, cha 10
race bonus: +2 int
level adj: lv 4 +1 wis, lv8 +1 int, lv 12 +1 int lv 16 +1 int lv20 +1 int
traits: hedge magician, reactionary
archetype: exploiter wizard
Arcane Reservoir:13/23
exploits: lv1: quick study (allows the wizard to swap out prepped spells as a full round action for the cost of a AR point) 5th:counter spell 9th: force strike 13th: counter drain 17th:greater counter spell
skills:spell craft(20 ranks) fly (10 ranks) knowledge arcana (20 ranks) knowledge planes (20 ranks) knowledge dungineering (20 ranks) knowledge religion (20 ranks) knowledge nature (20 ranks) knowledge local (20 ranks)
feats: scribe scroll, improved initiative, toughness, bouncing spell, disruptive spell, craft wonderous item, leadership, minor spell expertise (shield), empower spell, craft staff, faith magic, split slot, quicken spell, intensify spell, arcane builder (craft staff), immortality
spells learned at level
1: mage armor, grease, sleep, mount, enlarge person, alarm, identify
2: burning hands, charm person
3: invisibility, scorching ray
4: Glitterdust, Web
5: fly, haste
6: dispel magic, summon monster 3
7: improved invisibility, enervation
8: charm monster, arcane eye
9: teleport, lesser planar binding
10: summon monster 5, prying eyes
11: true seeing, plane shift
12: legend lore, contingency
13: greater teleport, spell turning
14: greater arcane sight, greater scrying
15: polymorph any object, clone
16: greater prying eyes, symbol of dispelling
17: wish, mages disjunction
18: summon monster 9, hold monster mass
19: domminate monster, time stop
20: resplendant mansion, greater create demiplane

dont wanna go through items right now...

Coretron03
2017-01-24, 05:15 AM
Ok, OP, how would you feel about a wizard that has another 17th wizard through class features, along with a 14th level and a 16th level cleric following them around permanently :smalltongue:. Define PO because I think I might have broken it into a couple thousand pieces in my build without even using any spells apart from 1 summon monster 9.