PDA

View Full Version : DM Gave 2 free spellsl of any class as long its within my casting range

JobsforFun
2017-01-23, 08:48 PM
I am a level 10 cleric currently and my DM have me 2 free spells of any class as long its within the limits I can currently cast which is level 5, my party consists of a Fighter, Cleric (ME), Wizard, and a Rouge (we had a gun slinger in our party and the class was updated to 5e but I believe he is not coming to any more sessions)

My domain is the Death Domain and these are my ability scores:
Strength: 12
Dexterity: 14
Constitution: 18
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 20
Charisma: 12

Current known spells
Cantrips: Guidance, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame, Resistance, Chill Touch, and Thaumaturgy
Lvl 1: Inflict Wounds, Healing Word, Bless, Guiding Bolt, False Life, Ray of Sickness, Shield of Faith
Lvl 2: Prayer of healing, Spiritual Weapon, Blindness Deafness, Aid, and Lesser Restoration
Lvl 3: Animate Dead, Vampiric Touch, Mass Healing Word, Bestow Curse, Remove Curse, Revivify
Lvl 4: Death Ward, Blight, Banishment, Divination
Lvl 5: Cloud Kill, Mass CW, Anti-Life Shell, Contagion

Lemme know if I should switch out any other spells for different cleric spells and what I should learn with these 2 free spells...

Specter
2017-01-23, 08:53 PM
Circle of Power, definitely. It's the best buff paladins get, and that's at level 17. Make it shine.

Other than that, not many ideas. Wall of Force, Animate Objects, Rary's Telepathic Bond... so much going on.

JumboWheat01
2017-01-23, 08:55 PM
Are these spells going to count as spells from their original class or will they be cleric spells for you?

StorytellerHero
2017-01-23, 08:59 PM
The 5th level spell Destructive Wave is always a hoot.

Dimension Door (4th) might be among the most useful non-cleric spells though.

JobsforFun
2017-01-23, 09:00 PM
Are these spells going to count as spells from their original class or will they be cleric spells for you?

They'd act as if they were cleric spells I presume

JobsforFun
2017-01-23, 09:05 PM
The 5th level spell Destructive Wave is always a hoot.

Dimension Door (4th) might be among the most useful non-cleric spells though.

My god Destructive Wave looks amazing!

busterswd
2017-01-23, 09:07 PM
Look up a thread on Bardic Secrets, as this is almost exactly what that perk is. Keep in mind Bards are notoriously bad at nuking, unlike clerics, which is why you'll see calls for Fireball and the like.

That being said:

Counterspell (part of what makes wizards/sorcs so great, make your DM hate you)

Aura of Vitality (party healing on steroids, great for out of combat and decent in combat)

Conjure Animals (transportation, meat shields, etc.)

Polymorph (meat shield, shut down an enemy, etc.)

Haste/Slow

etc.

As a side note, does he mean literally ANY level 5 spell? Because that opens up the top Paladin (and Ranger) spells as well.

JobsforFun
2017-01-23, 09:10 PM
Look up a thread on Bardic Secrets, as this is almost exactly what that perk is. Keep in mind Bards are notoriously bad at nuking, unlike clerics, which is why you'll see calls for Fireball and the like.

That being said:

Counterspell (part of what makes wizards/sorcs so great, make your DM hate you)

Aura of Vitality (party healing on steroids, great for out of combat and decent in combat)

Conjure Animals (transportation, meat shields, etc.)

Polymorph (meat shield, shut down an enemy, etc.)

Haste/Slow

etc.

As a side note, does he mean literally ANY level 5 spell? Because that opens up the top Paladin (and Ranger) spells as well.

He said "ANY" as long as they're within my spell casing range

Vogonjeltz
2017-01-23, 09:12 PM
To answer it might help to know why your DM decided to give you 2 spells from any class? (Did they have something in mind?)

Gignere
2017-01-23, 09:12 PM
You need to start prepping Spirit Guardians.

I like animate objects, if you need more scouting you can consider nabbing arcane eye. That spell is so broken. Wall of force is great too.

JobsforFun
2017-01-23, 09:14 PM
To answer it might help to know why your DM decided to give you 2 spells from any class? (Did they have something in mind?)

We defeated one of the major bosses in his campaign and everyone got their own "reward" and that was mine. (We also did something else I cant remember because this was a little while ago and I just remembered he gave me this because I wrote it on my character sheet.

Vogonjeltz
2017-01-23, 09:19 PM
We defeated one of the major bosses in his campaign and everyone got their own "reward" and that was mine.

Ah, well, I'd pick something thematic or game-changing from another class that I could use routinely.

Dream and Hold Monster come to mind.

Spectre9000
2017-01-23, 09:21 PM
I'm going to second the suggestions for Animated Objects and Destructive Wave. Best offensive spells at 5th level in the game imo.

JumboWheat01
2017-01-23, 09:27 PM
I second Dimension Door. Teleports are always fun and nice to have.

As for something a little disturbing, how bout Evard's Black Tentacles. A bit of magical damage, a bit of control, all in one tidy, disturbing package.

JobsforFun
2017-01-23, 09:42 PM
I am thinking of Circle of Power, Dimension Door, Animate Objects, or Destructive Wave

Leaning more towards Animate Objects and Destructive Wave but not sure

Gignere
2017-01-23, 09:48 PM
I am thinking of Circle of Power, Dimension Door, Animate Objects, or Destructive Wave

Leaning more towards Animate Objects and Destructive Wave but not sure

You already have a fantastic selective AoE as Cleric, spirit guardians up cast that and you don't need destructive wave.

furby076
2017-01-23, 09:51 PM
Circle of Power, definitely. It's the best buff paladins get, and that's at level 17. Make it shine.

Other than that, not many ideas. Wall of Force, Animate Objects, Rary's Telepathic Bond... so much going on.

I dont think paladim/ranger specific spells translate directly. So circle of power, a paladin only spell, would ksot likely be lvl 8 or 9

JobsforFun
2017-01-23, 09:56 PM
You already have a fantastic selective AoE as Cleric, spirit guardians up cast that and you don't need destructive wave.

I am not sure about the spirit guardians because I am Lawful Evil and it'd be necrotic damage, although with Death Domain I can ignore necrotic resistance our DM last session had a few enemies that were vulnerable to Radiant damage and I think destructive wave might be a better choice so I am not sure.

Gignere
2017-01-23, 10:11 PM
What about Freedom of Movement? Level 4 Druid spell it is good because it doesn't take up concentration and it lasts an hour so you can definitely prebuff with it.

Potato_Priest
2017-01-23, 10:14 PM
If you have some way to get better dex like one of those amulets that increase stats to 19, I'd take quick quiver. 2 attacks as a bonus action is pretty awesome. You could even use your next ASI to get sharpshooter and become a real sniper-cleric.

If it was me personally, I know I'd take polymorph for its incredible versatility and Bigby's hand for great battlefield control.

JobsforFun
2017-01-23, 10:58 PM
If you have some way to get better dex like one of those amulets that increase stats to 19, I'd take quick quiver. 2 attacks as a bonus action is pretty awesome. You could even use your next ASI to get sharpshooter and become a real sniper-cleric.

If it was me personally, I know I'd take polymorph for its incredible versatility and Bigby's hand for great battlefield control.

I was thinking about polymorph but you can't cast spells while in the form if any of my team mates need healing I would need to dispel the polymorph in order to heal.

Potato_Priest
2017-01-23, 11:02 PM
I was thinking about polymorph but you can't cast spells while in the form if any of my team mates need healing I would need to dispel the polymorph in order to heal.

Polymorph isn't for you. It's for the useless guy in your party who decided to take pole-arm master on a sorcerer with str 14, (true story) or who plays a bard whose only combat spell is vicious mockery. Turn him into a T Rex and suddenly he's dealing damage with the fighter and tanking up a storm. If you use it on yourself, you really run the risk of losing concentration and thus, your spell (your concentration saves come from the animal, not from your stat block). If you use it on a team mate, you can just sit back and watch them dominate. It's 100+ temp hp and a damage buff on most characters, and is incredibly versatile.

JobsforFun
2017-01-23, 11:26 PM
Polymorph isn't for you. It's for the useless guy in your party who decided to take pole-arm master on a sorcerer with str 14, (true story) or who plays a bard whose only combat spell is vicious mockery. Turn him into a T Rex and suddenly he's dealing damage with the fighter and tanking up a storm. If you use it on yourself, you really run the risk of losing concentration and thus, your spell (your concentration saves come from the animal, not from your stat block). If you use it on a team mate, you can just sit back and watch them dominate. It's 100+ temp hp and a damage buff on most characters, and is incredibly versatile.

Within the group everyone seems to do decent damage as their characters, I'll think about it and look it over, I believe our Wizard has Polymorph though.

Sigreid
2017-01-23, 11:51 PM
I would go with something like teleport or teleport circle or some other thing that is just completely outside your normal power set to increase your flexibility.

BW022
2017-01-24, 12:36 AM
My advice... aim for either long-term class ability spells, or rituals. Gaining more spells isn't so useful if you can't spare the slots to cast them or doing so really hurts your general abilities. My thoughts would be to consider...

Summon Stead Effectively a class ability.

Rary's Telepathic Bond A ritual, lasts an hour, and helps everyone. Allows secret and telepathic communication between party members. Wonderful for rogues scouting, for combat tactics during a fight with intelligent foes, for social situations where you can alert each other quickly, etc. As a ritual, typically won't cost any slot. One of the highest level rituals and of pretty good use.

Uzgul
2017-01-24, 03:57 AM
If you want to improve your melee and at will damage, you can pick up shillelagh and green flame blade.
Shillelagh let's you use your wisdom instead of strength for a 1d8 club/quarterstaff.
Green flame blade just makes your one attack per round better.
Once you reach 11, you would do
1d8+5+1d8(divine strike)+2d8(gfb) damage to the primary target plus 2d8+5 to a second.
That also works well with your channel divinity.

hymer
2017-01-24, 04:59 AM
Depending on your table's playstyle, I'd strongly consider Freedom of Movement. If you don't run up against control effects, it's little use, of course. But if you do, well...

And depending on how much say you have in what you get, or how generous the DM is, Conjure Woodland Beings is one of the most versatile spells in the game.

MrStabby
2017-01-24, 07:00 AM
Wall of force makes DMs cry - as does counterspell.

Shield is always a good spell - it's low level but don't rule it out. You concentration is important.

Draco4472
2017-01-24, 09:53 AM
Counterspell can be wonderful, but you might find it go unused for a few sessions.

JobsforFun
2017-01-24, 09:55 AM
Counterspell can be wonderful, but you might find it go unused for a few sessions.

Counterspell is a great spell but our Wizard has it and he uses it whenever he can but I am still looking :).

JobsforFun
2017-01-24, 10:02 AM
My advice... aim for either long-term class ability spells, or rituals. Gaining more spells isn't so useful if you can't spare the slots to cast them or doing so really hurts your general abilities. My thoughts would be to consider...

Summon Stead Effectively a class ability.

Rary's Telepathic Bond A ritual, lasts an hour, and helps everyone. Allows secret and telepathic communication between party members. Wonderful for rogues scouting, for combat tactics during a fight with intelligent foes, for social situations where you can alert each other quickly, etc. As a ritual, typically won't cost any slot. One of the highest level rituals and of pretty good use.

I keep thinking about it more and more and I like the Telepathic bond a lot and it could be really useful to the party but Circle of power seems like something that would help a lot against this DM since our last fight was against a boss who kept using spells that required saving throws. I do know that I wanna do Destructive Wave because it does good damage and you have radiant DMG and necrotic DMG all in one package.

Zanthy1
2017-01-24, 10:23 AM
I keep thinking about it more and more and I like the Telepathic bond a lot and it could be really useful to the party but Circle of power seems like something that would help a lot against this DM since our last fight was against a boss who kept using spells that required saving throws. I do know that I wanna do Destructive Wave because it does good damage and you have radiant DMG and necrotic DMG all in one package.

I'll second find steed simply because you rarely have to prepare it, and depending on the DM you can get some great mounts. My DM said I could summon any medium or large creature from the back of the PHB, so I ride a giant spider. Other options in the back are a giant eagle, panther, bears, all sorts of good stuff. They;re intelligent and have great movement abilities (fly, climb, and swim speeds) and once you cast the spell, you don't need to prep it until the mount dies. Since you're getting more spells but not spell slots, its nice to have an extra ability without losing your daily casts.

Potato_Priest
2017-01-24, 11:16 AM
Wall of force makes DMs cry.

I can personally attest to this. I've saved the party from a "rocks fall" encounter with it. If the wizard knows what they're doing, they probably know this one themselves, though.

KnotaGuru
2017-01-24, 12:08 PM
Circle of power is awesome. Destructive wave is okay, and would work well paired with spirit guardians but clerics have flamestrike. Sure the AoE is smaller but it still deals radiant damage and is scalable. Have you considered Bigby's Hand? It's like a mini wall of force but has offensive capabilities as well. I love versitile spells.

JobsforFun
2017-01-24, 03:33 PM
Circle of power is awesome. Destructive wave is okay, and would work well paired with spirit guardians but clerics have flamestrike. Sure the AoE is smaller but it still deals radiant damage and is scalable. Have you considered Bigby's Hand? It's like a mini wall of force but has offensive capabilities as well. I love versitile spells.

I think I am going to switch out 'Bestow Curse' for Spirit Guardians, I could learn flame strike but I thought greater restoration might be better but I am not sure.

Byke
2017-01-24, 03:51 PM
From a pure min/max perspective, Destructive Wave, Wall of Force or Animate Object.

But I would also look at Shield, Mirror Image, Bigby's (interesting bonus action options) and Watery Sphere (underrated control spell for creatures <= large, that can force movement on huge creatures)

It really comes down to what niche you want to fill with these extra spells.

MrStabby
2017-01-24, 05:39 PM
From a pure min/max perspective, Destructive Wave, Wall of Force or Animate Object.

But I would also look at Shield, Mirror Image, Bigby's (interesting bonus action options) and Watery Sphere (underrated control spell for creatures <= large, that can force movement on huge creatures)

It really comes down to what niche you want to fill with these extra spells.

Speaking of bonus actions - heat metal is an awesome spell

Deleted
2017-01-24, 08:41 PM
I am a level 10 cleric currently and my DM have me 2 free spells of any class as long its within the limits I can currently cast which is level 5, my party consists of a Fighter, Cleric (ME), Wizard, and a Rouge (we had a gun slinger in our party and the class was updated to 5e but I believe he is not coming to any more sessions)

My domain is the Death Domain and these are my ability scores:
Strength: 12
Dexterity: 14
Constitution: 18
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 20
Charisma: 12

Current known spells
Cantrips: Guidance, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame, Resistance, Chill Touch, and Thaumaturgy
Lvl 1: Inflict Wounds, Healing Word, Bless, Guiding Bolt, False Life, Ray of Sickness, Shield of Faith
Lvl 2: Prayer of healing, Spiritual Weapon, Blindness Deafness, Aid, and Lesser Restoration
Lvl 3: Animate Dead, Vampiric Touch, Mass Healing Word, Bestow Curse, Remove Curse, Revivify
Lvl 4: Death Ward, Blight, Banishment, Divination
Lvl 5: Cloud Kill, Mass CW, Anti-Life Shell, Contagion

Lemme know if I should switch out any other spells for different cleric spells and what I should learn with these 2 free spells...

I feel like, offensively, you are ok as you are.

I would go with Fly and Counterspell

JobsforFun
2017-01-25, 03:06 PM
Not sure if anyone can still help me on this thread but since I already listed my cleric abilities on this thread and such would it be better to multi-class at level 11 to something like fighter or just go full cleric?

KnotaGuru
2017-01-25, 03:35 PM
I'd stay cleric. You're spells are what make you powerful, you want to advance your spell progression.

Deleted
2017-01-25, 03:40 PM
I'd stay cleric. You're spells are what make you powerful, you want to advance your spell progression.

This right here.

Dip only if you find something fun that you want or you want to make a specific character.

MrStabby
2017-01-25, 04:02 PM
I would stick with it.

The only reasons to dip would be to gain more martial prowess or more spell options.

More martial prowess would probably mean taking at least 5 levels for a second attack - which is very costly.

More spell options is not needed at all as your DM has given you the magical secrets feature so you can pick what you thought it might have been worth multiclassing to get.

Sigreid
2017-01-25, 06:12 PM
IMO dips are good for a quick power boost when you know you aren't going to level very high. If you are going for the long haul, I believe you are better off single class.

JobsforFun
2017-01-25, 07:37 PM
What spell should I go with? I get a Lvl 6 spell and there isn't much to choose from. Another question, Lesser restoration is quite helpful but is greater restoration useful or should I switch it out?

KnotaGuru
2017-01-25, 08:03 PM
Blade barrier is a fun level 6 spell. Lesser and greater restoration have their uses. Any reason you can't have both? At level 10 with a +5 WIS mod, you can prepare 15 spells plus 10 domain spells (2 from each level).

JobsforFun
2017-01-25, 08:10 PM
Blade barrier is a fun level 6 spell. Lesser and greater restoration have their uses. Any reason you can't have both? At level 10 with a +5 WIS mod, you can prepare 15 spells plus 10 domain spells (2 from each level).

I just wanna make sure I am using my cleric abilities to the best of my abilities :D

MrStabby
2017-01-25, 08:20 PM
Forbiddance isn't an all the time spell but it is superb.

A ritual - so it needn't consume a spell slot, and it creates a nice safe area where you are hard to magically ambush and is screws over fiends, undead, fey, elementials, celestials of your choosing.

You can tailor it to your parties own spells - someone likes conjure animals, fey are allowed. You have a necromancer then allow undead.

It is a great effect for not even using a spell slot. Downside is the one off cost of the material component.