PDA

View Full Version : Shifter race op?

Doomwhispo
2017-01-23, 08:58 PM
3 questions-
1 Is it op compared to the races in the phb?
2 And compared to the races in volo's Guide and scag?
Specifically the long tooth version.

Anyone know? One of my character wants to use it and it seems quite strong that regeneration .

3 He said he got it from.unearth arcana are those race balanced with the rest?

solidork
2017-01-23, 09:11 PM
I think they are pretty reasonable, personally.

Also, keep in mind that you get the temporary hit points only once when you initially shift, and that they go away after you finish shifting.

Clone
2017-01-23, 09:11 PM
3 questions-

Anyone know? One of my character wants to use it and it seems quite strong that regeneration .

The shifter races came out before Volo's was released, so I'm not sure if they compared the two.
The main thing is that it is from the Unearthed Arcana, specifically this one:

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Eberron_v1.1.pdf

I say try it out, as the only major ability they get is some temp HP, which is strong, is not uncommon for PCs to have. One thing to remember that if they have Extra Attack, they don't get to use the bite attack twice from being a long tooth, as its a specific type of attack rather than a normal one. Unless I'm misreading it, of course.

If the temp HP ends up being too powerful, suggest you tone it down to twice their CON-modifier rather than CON + level for the temp HP. This will make it more in line with the Warlock Fiend ability I feel. Be adventurous, just make sure he knows that since its Unearthed Arcana, its playtest material and so you have complete control over it.

Zaq
2017-01-23, 09:23 PM
3 questions-

. . . Regeneration? The 4e Longtooth shifter had regeneration, but the 5e one just has a bite attack.

Doomwhispo
2017-01-23, 09:34 PM
Thanks guys. I'm gona let him play it. It looks like a fun race I will see how it goes

X