PDA

View Full Version : Earliest Level to Get Zone of Truth (or the Equivalent)?

Palanan
2017-01-23, 10:42 PM
I’m looking for a way to get Zone of Truth as early as possible—either the spell itself or, better yet, an SLA or something similar.

This is central to a character concept, but ideally I’d like the character to be a non-caster, who has access to the ability via some other means than divine spellcasting.

I’m open to any official material from 3.5 or Pathfinder, with the exception of psionics. Given that, how early could a character get this ability?

Doctor Despair
2017-01-23, 10:57 PM
Arcane Disciple + Precocious Apprentice gives it to us at level 1, I think. I'm not sure about getting it as an SLA that early though.

Jack_Simth
2017-01-23, 10:58 PM
Touch of Truthtelling (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/touch-of-truthtelling) is Cleric/Oracle-1. Not quite Zone of Truth, but handy.

Palanan
2017-01-24, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Jack_Simth
Touch of Truthtelling is Cleric/Oracle-1. Not quite Zone of Truth, but handy.

I hadn’t known about that spell, and that’s an interesting option.

For my purposes I’m still interested in options which ideally wouldn’t require levels in a spellcasting class. I suppose Touch of Truthtelling on a wand could be one approach, but is there a more elegant solution?

mistermysterio
2017-01-24, 06:07 PM
If you don't mind pathfinder 3rd party (path of war), you can make an initiator with the Bushi template/archetype and take the Honesty Bushido at level 2.

Honesty: The Universal Truth speaks to the bushi,
allowing him to detect falsehood wherever it may hide.
The bushi can use discern lies as a spell-like ability with
a caster level equal to his initiator level. He can use
this ability for a number of rounds per day equal to his
initiation modifier, although these rounds need not be
consecutive.

Not exactly a zone of truth, but has a decent amount of RP opportunities, etc. (and it's also a SLA and not a spell).

Jack_Simth
2017-01-24, 06:14 PM
I hadn’t known about that spell, and that’s an interesting option.

For my purposes I’m still interested in options which ideally wouldn’t require levels in a spellcasting class. I suppose Touch of Truthtelling on a wand could be one approach, but is there a more elegant solution?

Hmm... do you count Bard as a spellcasting class for this purpose? The class qualifies for both Arcane Disciple and Precocious Apprentice, so can pull off Doctor Despair's trick at level 1 as well.