PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #342 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2006-09-02, 08:50 PM
New comic is up.

BelkarsDagger
2006-09-02, 08:52 PM
Again. Awsome comic.

Lawful Stupid should be an official alignment.

Blood
2006-09-02, 08:52 PM
Wow, Roy. Way to screw up.

Cathrindir
2006-09-02, 08:54 PM
Good job, Roy! At least Belkar will get to watch Roy get his ass kicked...
First page! Woot!

Lauren
2006-09-02, 08:55 PM
*headdesks*

Well done, Roy. Way to pay attention.

geez3r
finally a monolouge that gets the good guy in trouble, this is the first equal representation comic I've seen in a while. Now, the drawn out speech of ironical downfall isn't soley for the BBEG, or in this case Nale.

EDIT: First page

theKOT
Charming. I like the idea of Nale disguising his lackeys as hostages, and the "faux-punk whore" line was good. 7/10.

Platinum_Mongoose
Didn't Nale mention something about the other two additions to the Linear Guild back when they recruited Pompey?

Obligatory first page comment.

dabone
just spotted the new strip, it's okay :)

can't wait for the next strip with lots of explosions :D
(probably)

EDIt : I hope

Pollux
2006-09-02, 08:57 PM
My Saturday is now complete.

<insert obligatory "Yay teh liek f1r5t p4g3 LOLOL" comment>

NullAshton
2006-09-02, 08:58 PM
Illusions do have their places. Neat ambush.

Morrandir
Today is a good day.

Wondering when the half-elf would show up :P

EDIT: Also, I won't say it.

Just to annoy the 1337kiddies.

Pwnd.

Keldar
Poor Roy, talking when he should have been listening. The immortal words of Ackbar come to mind.

Disguising Sabine was a nice touch, though.

ref
2006-09-02, 08:59 PM
Hehe, Roy has screwed up big time!

And, First page.

#FP: 2. hehe...

Rauthiss
2006-09-02, 09:01 PM
first page woot!

hyikim
2006-09-02, 09:02 PM
darn

just missed first page :(

well' time to READ the comic

houseofcommons
2006-09-02, 09:06 PM
Ooooh. This is gonna hurt reeeeeel bad.

Second page. I'll settle.

Blood
2006-09-02, 09:08 PM
Why does everyone care so much about getting first page and first post? Does it make you cool? I feel bad for the Giant sometimes.

Also:

Who else thinks that Haley will be cured soon? I certainly hope so.

sugarmouse121
2006-09-02, 09:11 PM
Missed first page because for some reason the computer logged me out, even though I set it to always stay logged in.

Great comic! At first I thought that the two others- Sabine and Pompey(sp?) were Nale's new recruits- I didn't look very hard at Pompey.

TheDRaconicLord
2006-09-02, 09:12 PM
Hello, Hello. First time poster, LONG time reader.

Buwahahaha, Roy and his big mouth...it's good to see the Good Guy getting trashed with a monologue. Pretty cool it wasn't the Bad Guy for once ;D

Felinoid
2006-09-02, 09:16 PM
Oddly enough, I think this one was made better by accidentally skimming it first. Seeing them appearing behind Roy was confusing until I read the text, and then I burst out into laughter. She's right, Roy IS a dork. :P

Walrusrider
2006-09-02, 09:18 PM
w00t. second page.
haha.

The half-elf is cool.
I want to see the other new members of the Linear Guild.

The Glyphstone
2006-09-02, 09:23 PM
Why does everyone care so much about getting first page and first post? Does it make you cool? I feel bad for the Giant sometimes.

it's a running joke/tradition....very few people actually care that much.

WOOT! Second/third page! WOOT! :D ;D

BlythraB
2006-09-02, 09:26 PM
Who else thinks that Haley will be cured soon? I certainly hope so.
yeah me too

So I checked the website to discuss 341 with my brother and 342 was up and it was SO GOOD! way to go, Giant!!! :)

Adeptus
2006-09-02, 09:35 PM
*big smile*

Way to go Roy... ::) Very funny. :D

[edit: Isn't Pompey uncomfortably close to the big fighter with a greatsword at the ready?]

Brianish
2006-09-02, 09:53 PM
The flat-footed fighter with the greatsword ready.

The_Bandersnatch
2006-09-02, 09:57 PM
Illusions do have their places. Neat ambush.

Nah, no illusions here... Roy had never seen Pompey before, and Sabine can morph. The magic-y thing that is shown as their standing up is a spell for scutting the ropes.

EDIT: Must resist... temptation... Will weakening... Can't hold out... NOOOOO!

-wootsecondpagewoot!-

*phew* Got that over with....

Chesny
2006-09-02, 10:02 PM
Good comic - came up quickly after 341, too...

Love Roy's comment on his sister's outfit, that's a big bro for ya...

First post ever - second page?

Devils_Advocate
2006-09-02, 10:13 PM
To be fair, Roy probably assumed that if his sister had anything really important to tell him, she would shout something like "Look out, Roy!" Which she probably should've.

Of course, you know what they say about assuming...

Didn't Nale mention something about the other two additions to the Linear Guild back when they recruited Pompey?
Yep. Maybe we'll finally see them soon!

TroyXavier
2006-09-02, 10:24 PM
Such love between the siblings. ::) Anyways, definitely a transition comic but looking forward to seeing what will happen.

Tmabbbb
2006-09-02, 10:24 PM
That made my Saturday complete. I wonder if Nale is as smart as he claims to be? Anyways, I'm anxious to see what the other two members of the Linear Guild are like.

Wow! third page! (It's not exactly good, but this is like the third or fourth time, I've posted on the forums, so it seems good enough.)

EmeraldFire
2006-09-02, 10:30 PM
Loved the "faux-punk whore" line :)

Can't wait to see who/what the new Linear Guild members are!

Rama_Lei
2006-09-02, 10:31 PM
Heh, i was looking at somwetihng, then noticed. "Wait, i thought it was 341?" anyway, well dfone. Escpecially the faux-pas whore line.

Overelemental
2006-09-02, 10:37 PM
Great to see this site updated again more often, and the last two comics have been very good. Way to go mr Giant sir :)

HypnoticMonk
2006-09-02, 10:46 PM
excellent as always sir ::: sincere golf clap :::

woot 3rd page!!!! ;)

Shynthriir
2006-09-02, 11:00 PM
Rory just failed a listen check or soemthing --

Pompey and Sabine switched places from how they were positioned in the chairs as opposed to how they are positioned in the last pannel -- anyone else notice? Not only did they move around, one of the chairs is knocked over, surely that had to make some noise.

Flame_Drake
2006-09-02, 11:12 PM
18 INT doesn't save you from a one-track mind. Poor Roy.

Drake

Stick_Assassin
2006-09-02, 11:41 PM
Hey its updated ... YAY!

Great comic ... looks like Roys going to need a CSW after this ...

Rich you are a god amongst men!

*Smites evil leet users!*

Kahlan
2006-09-02, 11:43 PM
This... is why Fighters should get Listen and Spot as class skills. Because otherwise stuff like this ambush happens.

I feel for Roy. Mainly because this sort of thing happened to a LG character of mine.

But at the same time... it's time to find out who's all in the New Linear Guild. Hooray!

Itdano
2006-09-03, 12:02 AM
Finally! Accidentally clicking on my OOTS bookmark pays off! I never expected to see a new comic up this quickly after the last one. And such a great one too! HOORAY GIANT!

Excellent job turning the monologue ambush around on the good guy! It made me a happy panda.

Spiky
2006-09-03, 12:17 AM
Awesome. Just friggin' awesome!

Nothing that can't wait a few rounds. I'm lovin' Julia!!
(wonder if he'll get to untie her before getting hammered)

Gotta disagree with some of the posts, though. Roy's plan has gone exactly according to plan. Uh, yeah....Anyway, he sprung the trap by walking into it, now he is going to test out that HP total.

charik
2006-09-03, 12:23 AM
Gotta disagree with some of the posts, though. Roy's plan has gone exactly according to plan. Uh, yeah....Anyway, he sprung the trap by walking into it, now he is going to test out that HP total.
And a few Will Saves, most likely.

I was going to mention something else, but it's nothing that can't wait...

psiryu
2006-09-03, 12:34 AM
I have a bad feeling that the rest of Linear guild will end up like the shadow monster.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-09-03, 12:42 AM
Huh, that was an unexpected awesome weekend update.
Muchos LOL-os at the "faux-punk whore" thing, that definitely wwouldn't have been possible if it weren't for not having seen each other for three years :P

Solarious
2006-09-03, 12:44 AM
Roy really needs to start learning not to regard everyone else's ideas as stupid. First, the Oracle, and now his sister?

Not everyone is a Nale, ua know. ;)

Charity322
2006-09-03, 12:51 AM
I reckon Roy does get to untie Julia first and she saves his ass. :P

Deckmaster
2006-09-03, 01:33 AM
This is gonna hurt...

Great comic, Rich, but enough build-up already!

Maybe something will finally happen in the next comic?

WarriorTribble
2006-09-03, 02:30 AM
Oy... Roy truly overestimates teenagers views on fashion...

Antina
2006-09-03, 02:31 AM
great GREAT G R E A T !!!

Just fantastic!!!

Roy failed his spot check again and his teenage sister being EXACTLY THAT ("like I would be friends with THAT" and not telling him to look out)

THANK YOU Mr. GIANT ;D

brother_1
2006-09-03, 02:41 AM
[quote author=Devils Advocate link=board=comics;num=1157244632;start=15#28 date=09/02/06 at 22:13:58]Of course, you know what they say about assuming...[\quote]

You make an @$$ out of you and Ming.

Love the comic, in particular the typical older brother comments.

Page four! W00+!

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-03, 02:42 AM
Mmm.... succubus/erinyes schoolgirls... ... What?

Nerd-o-rama
2006-09-03, 02:43 AM
Okay, two things:

1) Perfect sibling interaction
2) Sabine must stay in the same outfit for the remaining duration of the OotS webcomic. Please.

Behold_the_Void
2006-09-03, 03:52 AM
Roy should be OK. He has his own party set up to cover him.

Most of them are even competent.

Ronald_saveloy
2006-09-03, 05:16 AM
Sabines catholic school girl look is so great! Nice comic!

Oh yeah, and Roy really screwed it up. He ungaged Juli but she is still bound. So, instead of having a wizzard on his side, he has to face Sabine and Pompey alone. And don't forget that Nale and Torg and probably the two new recruits are hiding somewere in the building too.

orcmonk89
2006-09-03, 05:21 AM
Great comic - once again! Roy is such a screw-up when it comes to plans.

Freelance Henchman
2006-09-03, 05:42 AM
I foresee some angry conversation between the siblings re who has any right to criticize anyone's outfit when they themselves always did whatever the heck they wanted, etc. etc.... ::)

Miklus
2006-09-03, 06:53 AM
Roy is going to get his @$$ kicked and he deserves
it for not Listening to the others.

And Sabrine is more slutty than ever. WOOT! ;D

I want to see the last two members of the Linear
guild. I bet one of them begins with an "I". An Imp
maybe...? Naaaah, to weak.

efi
2006-09-03, 07:09 AM
Oh, the last two panels are just too funny! ;D

Xarian
2006-09-03, 07:12 AM
Ah this was a good one again. I knew that plan of his was gonna come tumbling down like a damn house of cards.

I especially like the whorish clothing-remarks. I already see the younger/older-sibling riot breaking loose..

Sengoku
2006-09-03, 08:02 AM
Finally!!!!!

I've been looking forward for the Linear Guild back in action for a loong time!!!

Thanks Giant!

Nerd_Paladin
2006-09-03, 08:04 AM
First OOTS to get a genuine laugh out of me in a few weeks now. Poor Roy. Proving once again that Wisdom is his dump stat.

Fishybugs
2006-09-03, 08:42 AM
Roy is a little slow....wondering though if we already haven't seen a new member of the Linear Guild.

Nale CLAIMS to have kiidnapped Julia. Maybe she's joined him.

blue_hat_guy
2006-09-03, 08:43 AM
isnt talking a free action
woo 5th page
(i know its not that exiting)

Khaim
2006-09-03, 08:53 AM
Oh yeah, and Roy really screwed it up. He ungaged Juli but she is still bound. So, instead of having a wizzard on his side, he has to face Sabine and Pompey alone.

Actually, she could very well have some Stilled Spells prepared. It would be a nice plot twist, at any rate.

The Demented One
2006-09-03, 09:19 AM
I predict utter awesomery in the next few strips. Roy and Julia vs. the Linear Guild? Oh yeah.

Shara_Littlebottom
2006-09-03, 09:23 AM
Funny comic, liked the boxes in the background for some odd reason. Also nice to see a new comic so soon after the last one. :-)

<speculation> If Sabine and Pompey are planning to simply attack Roy, after the suprise round they'll have a ticked off (and hurt) fighter who's been itching to try out his new sword in their face. A lot depends on where the rest of the LG are, and what spell Pompey is about to cast. Hold Person might be more useful than a big flashy evocation spell.

V and Durkon are supposed to be covering Roy so the next few rounds should get .... interesting. :-D

And does Haley have line of sight into the warehouse?</s>

fithi
2006-09-03, 09:34 AM
Oh, this is going to be fun...;D

Enjoyable comic, Giant, and I'm looking forward to seeing the result of this encounter.

Wisdom? What's that? Jeez, Roy is definately clueless...

Furin_Mirado
2006-09-03, 10:24 AM
That was a brilliant plan. Tie up Julia along with two people that look like her classmates. Because of course Roy wouldn't recognize Pompey and Sabine can look different all the time. Plus you tend to let your guard down around people that are tied up. I'd use a scenario similar to this one if I didn't know my players read this comic. :P

Sundog
2006-09-03, 10:54 AM
Roy so deserves the ass-whupping he is about to receive... ;D

Kaerou
2006-09-03, 10:57 AM
hahahaha

That comic is Awesomes! One of my favorites so far.. great work Giant!

hyikim
2006-09-03, 10:59 AM
First OOTS to get a genuine laugh out of me in a few weeks now.

well there havent been realy that many oots in the past few weeks :(

are we getting a new member to the order? or will Julia just leave her older brother to do other things(like finish school)

BPDave
2006-09-03, 11:50 AM
A lot depends on where the rest of the LG are, and what spell Pompey is about to cast. Hold Person might be more useful than a big flashy evocation spell.

Hold Person is an enchantment spell, and therefore prohibited to Pompey. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0254.html

fwiffo
2006-09-03, 11:57 AM
Ahh... good old Roy. The strategist and tactician of the group, walking into a hostage situation blissfully unaware that anything could possibly go wrong. Not even a twinkle of doubt. And that is *after* discussing with Belkar that this will be a trap.

What a case of not-using-his-brain! What a bright shining example of a boneheaded stupidity. On a ... ummm... Roy's part. Yeah, must be on Roy's part.

NullAshton
2006-09-03, 12:40 PM
And evocation is a banned school as well, so no flashy fireballs. Just conjurations and illusions.

Roy seriously needs to get his spot check up. I mean, he failed to spot two people five feet away from him, that had no concealment to make any sort of hide check. Comeon!

Also failed sense motive check big time on his sister. Two times already, possibly a third.

I think Roy needs to retire his old D20. It's not doing too well for him.

Castamir
2006-09-03, 12:52 PM
Roy seriously needs to get his spot check up. I mean, he failed to spot two people five feet away from him, that had no concealment to make any sort of hide check. Comeon!
What failed spot checks? He noticed them pretty well, they were both bound at the time. He has no eyes on the back on his head, and is too absorbed with his sister to keep looking around.

On the other hand, he did fail his listen checks. You can stand up silently, but at least one chair got knocked over -- this is something one should notice from less than two meters.

Shara_Littlebottom
2006-09-03, 12:54 PM
"And evocation is a banned school as well, so no flashy fireballs. Just conjurations and illusions. "

Oops! My bad! :-) Hmm summon monster, stinking cloud, stuff like that.... Lots of fun possibilites! :-D

TreesOfDeath
2006-09-03, 01:11 PM
Pompey does at least seem pretty weak, and Roy seems to have a plan of sorts, so maybe hes not going to get hopelessly raped. Then agian.....

avalon_redmoon
2006-09-03, 01:31 PM
LOL! "cheap faux-punk whore"...OMG! Priceless! Julia's going to kick his butt for that one when it's all over....

Ahhh...poor Roy...so serious, so delightfully clueless...

Baldknight
2006-09-03, 02:17 PM
Fantastic.

Once again Roy shoots himself in the foot with his big mouth. ;D

The_Kobold_Hero
2006-09-03, 02:28 PM
Wait, doesn't casting a spell that close to a target prevoke an attack of opptunity?

At any rate, good cliffhanger giant!

Hacktor
2006-09-03, 02:46 PM
I thought Roy had ...superior mental stats .... Ya right ... oh and good job ilustrating the siste-brother relationship ...good job again :)

Kish
2006-09-03, 02:51 PM
well there havent been realy that many oots in the past few weeks :(
You know, contrary to what some people seem to think, there were two comics in the week that just ended, and two in the week before that.

dragon95046
2006-09-03, 02:51 PM
Wait, doesn't casting a spell that close to a target prevoke an attack of opptunity?

At any rate, good cliffhanger giant!

It is true that casting a spell would normally provoke an attack of oppurtunity from anyone threatening the caster, however, in this case, Pmpey is not being threatened by Roy, as Roy is still flat-footed and will be until he takes his first action.

Since Sabine and Pompey got the drop on Roy, they should each get a Standard Action in the surprise round before starting regular combat rounds. Depending on what everyone rolled for initiative it is possible that Sabine and Pompey can each take two actions before Roy takes his first, and he would remain flat-footed until then.

Unless Roy has Combat Reflexes, which lets you take attacks of oppurtunity even when flat-footed.

Space-Is-Curved
2006-09-03, 02:56 PM
Even if you can take attacks of oprtunity when you are flatfooted you still have to be aware that someone is casting a spell. If it was silenced he would have no idea.

Jachra
2006-09-03, 03:05 PM
Not to mention he's yelling like an idiot. ;D

Unless that first spell knocks him out, though, the halfidy is in serious trouble... welllll, aside from the baatezu/tanar'ri and the two suckers hiding somewhere nearby.

_JM_
2006-09-03, 03:29 PM
Obviously it is far more important to use your ability to provide concise relevant information, such as "TRAP! Fake hostages!", when using a Spell (and beat the 25 word imit) than when speaking to someone in person and where failing to use that ability could have painful consequences. And of course she has been so busy being tied to a chair she hasn't really had any thinking time to consider what to say while staring at two of her abductors.

Still, much funnier with Roy monologing and Julia deciding she'd rather have her brother die than warn him of the imminent attack.

And it is good in a way as it shows that Roy doesn't need to be upset over having not seen his sister in over three years as, aside from Pompey, who'd want to spend any time having to interact with that? :P

Trobby
2006-09-03, 03:47 PM
Hmm...knowing that Roy has a most delicious mind, I can only presume that either he has wisdom as a dump stat, or he rolled a natural 1 on either wisdom or charisma.

Either way, it was a pretty stupid mistake. Poor Roy...so out of it with the fashion sense...

...AAAH!! ;o; Page 6?! That's my least favorite page!

Bilbo27
2006-09-03, 03:50 PM
Just like Roy to screw up again. How many times is it now?

What happened to Nale's last wizard? I forgot and too lazy to look back.

greenb
2006-09-03, 04:32 PM
What happened to Nale's last wizard? I forgot and too lazy to look back.
Was dragged away by The Lawyers for violating the intellectual property of another author who shall be nameless. (EDIT: see #65 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0065.html))

Shea Landford
2006-09-03, 04:46 PM
What do I have to say on this comic? Nothing that can't wait two rounds. (lol)

silvadel
2006-09-03, 05:54 PM
What we see here is an object lesson in why Warriors should never have int>14. It is almost animical to the class.

Chump_and_William
2006-09-03, 06:00 PM
Good Comic Rich, same as always. I do wonder if haley will get fixed, its a pain to translate the text if your as lazy as me. :(

w00t! 7th page! Personal Best! ;D

charik
2006-09-03, 06:40 PM
Julia tried to warn Roy, but he kept interupting her to continue his ranting at Nale. It was only after his "faux-punk whore" comment that she decided to watch him suffer first.

And I have to agree with Haley re Sabine: skank. :)

fwiffo
2006-09-03, 06:42 PM
Oh, goody. We didn't have a decent lawful stupid turnaround since Miko and the Ogres performance. At least then, people had a good reason to suspect lawful stupidity with a character that is barely capable of teamwork and only minimally developed at the time. Two things that Roy isn't.

Spiky
2006-09-03, 06:57 PM
Fantastic.

Once again Roy shoots himself in the foot with his big mouth. ;D
I think he shot into his own mouth with his big foot.

And does Haley have line of sight into the warehouse?</s>
Nope. Roy didn't even have line of sight and he was IN the warehouse.

Noneoyabizzness
2006-09-03, 07:16 PM
had a lawful good fighter in 2e that tried to help two black robed people who fell off a roof on borth openings of an alleyway

ahhh the flaws of assuming things on appearances and not watching your back...

but roy is a high level character, he shouldn't be this naive

xyzchyx
2006-09-03, 08:54 PM
Mmm.... succubus/erinyes schoolgirls... ... What?Succubus.

It's been established, based on her abilities, that Sabine is a Succubus.

Erinyes cannot drain levels. Succubi can.

Blaznak
2006-09-03, 09:00 PM
I'm betting the boxes are just window dressing, but you have to wonder... is there anything in there? part of the plan?

Oh well.

I wonder why V or Durkon didn't do any scrying of the interior first???

Later!

Ironers
2006-09-03, 09:05 PM
After reading the strip a few times, I think Roy did what he did intentionally. He knows its a trap, so what better way to draw them out then by rushing in.

Then again, he could just have fumbled a few rolls right there and then...

Corp
2006-09-03, 10:39 PM
"Faux-punk whore*

beauty :D

Daedrous Avari
2006-09-03, 11:24 PM
Didn't see a new one coming so soon. Nice.

Roy, that idiot... Walk right into it.

Tobimaro
2006-09-03, 11:30 PM
Yeah, it does seem awfully convienent that Pompey and Sabine were able to switch places. But then again, with the way that Roy was ranting, they had enough time to move into better position. ;)

As for Pompey's possible spell selection, he most likely has several Summon Monster spells, plus a Acid Arrow (2nd level Conjuration), and a couple of others. If he is high enough level, I would suggest Animal Growth (works on some of the summoned monsters) and a Phantasmal Killer (good for those low-Wisdon fighters). And with him being a Conjurer, he also should have a Teleport (for emergencies).

Varian7
2006-09-05, 09:11 AM
Poor Roy! Even smart people can sometimes do stupid things!