PDA

View Full Version : My list of downtime activities

Ruslan
2017-01-23, 11:21 PM
To me, 'downtime' is an abstraction. There is no "10 days" or "2 months". There is one downtime period between adventures. And here's what I let my PCs do during this period:

Basic survival at a modest lifestyle during downtime costs 10 gp. All income and expenses specified below are on top of that.
You may purchase any number of mundane items, as long as you have the money to spare (for normal listed cost), and sell mundane items (for 75% of listed cost).
In addition, you may choose to do TWO of the things below during the downtime. You can't choose the same option twice, unless specified.
Please note that some choices require feedback from me, so please be sure to choose in a timely fashion. If you do not choose, option #1 will be chosen for you.

1. Take up non-adventuring work.
- You find work as a craftsman, bodyguard, teacher, performer, temple acolyte or whatever non-adventuring work is applicable for your character.
- You earn 10 gp x (your level) during the downtime period.
- You may choose this option twice (burning the candle at both ends!), to earn twice as much

2. Learn a new skill, tool or language.
- Specify which skill/tool/language you want to become proficient in.
- Most skills/tools/languages take more than one downtime period to learn. Be prepared to spend several periods on this.
- It also may cost money to find a tutor.
- You may choose this option twice, to accelerate the learning.

3. Reunion
- Reconnect with people from your background (your partners in crime, your former military buddies, members of your noble house, etc).
- They may have useful advice or information for you.
- You may also choose to have them shelter you for free (no need to spend the 10 gp mentioned above)

4. Spell research (wizard only)
- Choose a Wizard spell of any level you could cast, and add it to your spellbook.
- This research costs 50 gp per spell level, half of that if a spell is from your school of specialization.

5. Find magical or exotic items to purchase
- Describe what kind of items you'd like to find for sale, and how much money you're willing to invest.
- The DM will have something for you, although maybe not exactly what you were looking for.

6. Research
- Go to the library or gather rumors in a local pub.
- You may have a specific question(s) in mind, of just general search for information.
- The DM will have some interesting information for you.

7. Carouse
- For a while, you engage in a hedonistic lifestyle, throwing lavish parties and getting drunk.
- This costs at least 20 gp, although you may choose to spend more.
- Lots of interesting things can happen! And probably will!

8. Make a new contact
- Choose the kind of VIP you'd like to be introduced to (eg. town's mayor, the leader of the thieves' guild, etc).
- Costs at least 10 gp, may cost more, depending on the importance of the person

9. Spread rumors
- You may spread rumors about yourself (to glorify yourself, or even establish a false identity) or about someone/something else.

10. Scribe a scroll (spellcaster only)
- Scribe one of the spells you know onto a scroll.
- A spell may be cast from a scroll once, effectively increasing your number of spell slots.
- A scroll is a one-use item.
- It costs 50 gp per spell level to scribe a scroll, half of that if you’re a Wizard and the spell is from your school of specialization

11. Practice your combat skills, or meditate and pray for good fortune
- You gain Inspiration at the start of the next adventure.

12. Recuperate
- If you suffer from any debilitating illness, long-term effects of poison, etc., you become cured at the end of downtime.

13. Brew potions or poisons (Proficiency with Alchemist Supplies, Herbalism Kit or Poisoner Kit required)
- Describe the effect of the potion or poison, the DM will have the money and time requirements for you.

14. Craft (proficiency with appropriate tools required)
- You may attempt to craft a suit of armor, a carriage, a boat, etc.
- Expensive items may have to be crafted over several downtime periods.
- Some gold for raw materials will have to be expended.

Do you have any ideas for cool downtime activities? Add your own!

Cespenar
2017-01-24, 12:56 AM
There's the classic:

16. Purchase/Set-up/Run an establishment.

Also,

17. Find and hire any kind workers/underlings/help.

18. Put out job contracts of your own.

19. Seek a quest or counsel from your deity.

20. Do charity work.

Ruslan
2017-01-24, 03:29 PM
#19 is same as Research (#6) under a different fluff. I'll update Research to be "Go to the library, gather rumors in a local pub, or pray for counsel from your deity".

Rest look good, I'll add them to the list! Keep'em coming!

Hrugner
2017-01-24, 03:36 PM
Any stretch of time that isn't micromanaged. Even something as short as a shopping spree is a non-played event that I count as downtime. I've been trying to work out a system for accumulated hours to be spent, so we don't slow down game play with downtime stuff, but haven't come up with a good system quite yet.

Maxilian
2017-01-24, 03:40 PM
I would add

21 -Hunting / Gather resources from the nearby area

*May it be hunting for Animals for pelts or meat (or just materials in general)
*Looking for herbs, fruits or seeds
*Mining from a close and known location

Note: For those characters that will most likely spend most of their downtime out of town cause.... Rangers and Druids hate people (A silly generalization)

22 -Training a third party

*Train an animal to listen to certain simple commands
*Train a follower or another intelligent creature in a skill that the PC have

Note: For those that want to train a certain animal that they got from the stables (maybe he got himself a Warhorse) or something he could tame from the wilds (We always have that player that see X creature and want to tame it -They may or may not fail but if they don't they will want to train it in the future)

Fishyninja
2017-01-24, 04:08 PM
I would add

21 -Hunting / Gather resources from the nearby area

Drunkenly convincing my ranger comrade (as I am a monk) that shooting deer is ineffective and you should just run up to them and kick them in the face.

Note we were 6 flagons in both.

Ruslan
2017-01-24, 04:27 PM
Drunkenly convincing my ranger comrade (as I am a monk) that shooting deer is ineffective and you should just run up to them and kick them in the face.This falls under "Carouse" :smallbiggrin:

Fishyninja
2017-01-24, 04:38 PM
This falls under "Carouse" :smallbiggrin:

I'll think you find that it is called Deer Boxing and I am currently waiting for the trademark papers to be signed.

Ruslan
2017-01-24, 04:51 PM
You might be too late (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIRT7lf8byw)

Fishyninja
2017-01-24, 04:54 PM
You might be too late (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIRT7lf8byw)

I have been in discussion with this gentleman and he has agreed his actions were for defence and not sport.

I also love the shocked look on the Kangaroo's face.

XmonkTad
2017-01-25, 07:40 AM
Would you allow "Fortify a Location" to downtime activities? The orcs aren't here yet, so let's organise the townsfolk into laborers so they can at least get a palisade wall up. Or does that count as adventuring?

Asmotherion
2017-01-25, 08:53 AM
I am currently working on a list of magical "pets" one could gain during downtime activities, as well as homebrewing rules on how to do so. If interested, please check the link in my signature.