PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Psionic Wilder - 3.5

jdizzlean
2017-01-23, 11:37 PM
So, i'm making a back up character for my current game.

I want to build a Psion, the wilder variant, as a blaster. CHA is the leading stat for this.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1082052

I've rolled stats, but open to moving them around if need be.
I haven't applied skill points yet, or chosen bonus languages.

I went w/ Athasian Human as the race for the bonus psionic abilities, any +1 LA is negated at creation in our game.

I've chosen powers and feats. But have yet to build a psicrystal.

I've looked over prestige classes, but don't see anything really worth doing, so i chose a bump to fort save as my 2nd feat.

any input is welcome, i've not played a psion before so i'm not sure if what i'm doing is perhaps not the best option.

thanks

Bad Wolf
2017-01-24, 12:15 AM
Well for starters, Psion and Wilder are two different classes. You don't get a Psicrystal (psions get it for free correct?), And I'd advise you to use your feats for stuff like Expanded Knowledge. Anarchic Initiate is a very good PrC, and you should check it out if you have CPsi.

For powers, you'll want to choose ones that can be versatile, which are those that can be augmented. Energy Ray is a very good example, as it scales with your level.

jdizzlean
2017-01-24, 12:43 AM
Well for starters, Psion and Wilder are two different classes. You don't get a Psicrystal (psions get it for free correct?), And I'd advise you to use your feats for stuff like Expanded Knowledge. Anarchic Initiate is a very good PrC, and you should check it out if you have CPsi.

For powers, you'll want to choose ones that can be versatile, which are those that can be augmented. Energy Ray is a very good example, as it scales with your level.

I have it listed as psion - wilder for my own benefit, i realize they're different classes

I used the feat: psicrystal affinity to gain a psicrystal as a wilder.
expanded knowledge is good, but it's a lvl 3 feat, can't take it at creation

I looked at energy ray, but it has power resistance, which crystal shard does not. I may take it later on for the versatility, but as for straight boom boom, i think shard is better. Both scale w/ lvl, they just require another PP to increase the dmg.

Anarchic Initiate sounds interesting, i had dismissed it before, i see the potential now.

As for feats, is it worth dropping great fortitude for Enervation Endurance to cut the penalty in half?

Calthropstu
2017-01-24, 06:03 AM
The moment you get access to 2nd level powers, take expanded knowledge and select Astral Construct. The boost ability you gain from your wilder abilities turns your essentially summon monster 2 into summon monster 3. You'll be casting summon 9 by level 13. Even as a mere utility power, it's insanely potent.

Since you are going blaster type, take the usual suspects: Energy ray, energy missile, energy ball etc. Being able to choose your energy type at will is extremely useful (something dreamscarred press changed for pathfinder) and makes psionic characters shine. Energy Adaptation, much later on, is obscenely useful. The biggest problem with wilders is power selection. The number of powers you get is EXTREMELY small. So feats like expanded knowledge are very much a necessity.

Waazraath
2017-01-24, 07:09 AM
I'd go for the educated wilder variant: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a (for another few powers known). There are a few prestige classes that can be nice for wilder, like santified mind, but the opportunity cost for them is quite high. Staying in the wilder class up to 20 isn't weird. If the psionic variant for Abjurant Champion is allowed (from complete mage), it's great (but that one isn't worked out properly).

Troacctid
2017-01-24, 02:37 PM
You should be making copious use of dorjes and power stones to make up for your dearth of powers known. You don't need a UPS check for most of them; abuse that.

Invest in social skills. You don't have Diplomacy, but you have Bluff and Sense Motive. They're powerful skills. Use them. And get dorjes of Conceal Thoughts and Empathy to use them better.

Make your known powers count. You don't get a lot of them, so the ones you pick need to be versatile enough to serve you in a wide variety of scenarios. Avoid redundancy (e.g. don't take multiple blasting powers), and avoid powers that you're unlikely to use multiple times in a day.

If you want to blast, the best power for it is Energy Missile. It hits multiple enemies while simultaneously smashing their gear. Very efficient. Energy Stun is also good, as is Disintegrate.

Take the Educated Wilder variant. There's literally no downside to it. It's just free feats.

Calthropstu
2017-01-24, 05:18 PM
You should be making copious use of dorjes and power stones to make up for your dearth of powers known. You don't need a UPS check for most of them; abuse that.

Invest in social skills. You don't have Diplomacy, but you have Bluff and Sense Motive. They're powerful skills. Use them. And get dorjes of Conceal Thoughts and Empathy to use them better.

Make your known powers count. You don't get a lot of them, so the ones you pick need to be versatile enough to serve you in a wide variety of scenarios. Avoid redundancy (e.g. don't take multiple blasting powers), and avoid powers that you're unlikely to use multiple times in a day.

If you want to blast, the best power for it is Energy Missile. It hits multiple enemies while simultaneously smashing their gear. Very efficient. Energy Stun is also good, as is Disintegrate.

Take the Educated Wilder variant. There's literally no downside to it. It's just free feats.

I believe energy missile needs expanded knowledge, as does energy ball. The 40 foot radius blast centered on the manifester, however, is available without a feat. It's hard to pull off without hitting your team mates though. Energy bolt is also available without a feat (psionic version of lightning bolt). Energy ray, the one available at first level, is also available without a feat. Most of the better blast powers are specifically limited to kineticist.

Disintegrate is amazing though, and is easily one of the best powers available.