PDA

View Full Version : Single-round invulnerability spells/powers?

Xarteros
2017-01-24, 01:04 AM
Looking for something that I can activate whilst falling to become immune to 100% of the fall damage upon impact. It either needs to be somehow automatically triggered upon contacting the ground, or easily usable in the round you land in.

It's mostly for flavour, it can be a one-use item if need be, but I'm just looking for appropriate powers or spells to make it work. The goal is to deploy Warforged troops in from airships above, leaving nice impact craters where they land but without damaging them.

So far, I've found Timeless Body (psionic power) that makes you immune to all harmful effects, attacks and powers (presumably fall damage counts as an effect?), but that's a bit too all-encompassing and can't be quickened.

Note, I don't care about flight, or slow fall, or anything that partially reduces the damage, the goal is to make them leave impacts, but without taking damage at all. Also, the shenanigans of Troll Blooded Warforged Juggernaut (All non-fire/non-acid damage is nonlethal, WFJ immune to nonlethal damage) are not allowed for this purpose

Any level of spell/cost of item is welcome, as long as it lets me leave a nice crater behind each troop =)

Deophaun
2017-01-24, 01:26 AM
Also, the shenanigans of Troll Blooded Warforged Juggernaut (All non-fire/non-acid damage is nonlethal, WFJ immune to nonlethal damage) are not allowed for this purpose
What about a regular Warforged Juggernaut with earthen grace?

Xarteros
2017-01-25, 08:59 AM
What about a regular Warforged Juggernaut with earthen grace?

Ooh, I stumbled upon that the other day and didn't even think about it for this! Good catch, it suits the purpose really well, and could be applied to each Warforged whilst they're still on the airship.

Only downside is that it would require each unit to have Warforged Juggernaut in their character builds. I suppose one solution would be to find another way to become temporarily immune to nonlethal damage, but I think it'd be easier to look for an alternate/additional spell

Deophaun
2017-01-25, 09:23 AM
Another alternative would be to get enough temporary HP where the falling damage doesn't matter. A psionic tattoo of a 20ML vigor power would do it for the vast majority at 2000 gp a pop.

Uncle Pine
2017-01-25, 09:45 AM
Construct Essence, Lesser is a 2nd level Sor/Wiz spell from Races of Eberron that grants immunity to nonlethal damage to a living construct touched and a few other benefits for 1 minute/level. Since Earthen Grace is a 3rd level spell, you can have a battery of spellcasters cast the two spells on your warforgeds.
If you plan to buff a lot of warforgeds, you should take a look at the Warweaver PrC in Heroes of Battle, as they can "chain" touch spells with their allies without needing an impressive amount of cheese.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-01-25, 10:06 AM
Other than War Weaver, which is excellent, there's a lesser metamagic rod of chain spell, or straight-up the Chain Spell feat with a little metamagic reduction.

Uncle Pine
2017-01-25, 10:44 AM
Other than War Weaver, which is excellent, there's a lesser metamagic rod of chain spell, or straight-up the Chain Spell feat with a little metamagic reduction.
Chain Spell can only be applied to single target spells with a range greater than touch. Both Construct Essence and Earthen Grace are touch spells, so you'd need to add Reach Spell beforehand to chain them. Chain is a +3 metamagic, Reach is +2, which means that you'd be using 7th and 8th level slots as a base before metamagic reducers. It's doable, but may or may not be acceptable depending on the level of cheese OP wants to achieve.

For example, if you can afford to buy a Codex Anathema for your little project (LoM 214, 37,500 gp), you can train a half-elf to buff a large amount of "living construct bombs" starting from level 6.
Build: Half-elf Wizard 5/Half-elf Paragon 1.
Feats: Reach Spell (lv 1), Sanctum Spell (flaw), Chain Spell (lv 3), Invisible Spell (lv 5), Arcane Thesis (Construct Essence, Lesser) (lv 6), Arcane Thesis (Earthen Grace) (lv 6).
The two spells are cast with a 3rd and 4th slot respectively and affect a number of targets equal to CL.

I can't believe I've actually suggested to use a half-elf for something.

MisterKaws
2017-01-25, 11:07 AM
Refluffed epic Tumble?

ExLibrisMortis
2017-01-25, 11:21 AM
Chain Spell can only be applied to single target spells with a range greater than touch. Both Construct Essence and Earthen Grace are touch spells, so you'd need to add Reach Spell beforehand to chain them. Chain is a +3 metamagic, Reach is +2, which means that you'd be using 7th and 8th level slots as a base before metamagic reducers. It's doable, but may or may not be acceptable depending on the level of cheese OP wants to achieve.
Well, yes, good point. Maybe the metamagic rod plus Reach Spell, then.

At ECL 12, you can use Practical Metamagic (Chain), Arcane Thesis (both spells), and five levels in Halruaan Elder (metamagic reduction and circle magic) to cast those spells without metamagic cost and at CL 20, allowing you to affect 20 targets per casting (CL 21+ does not allow additional targets). With just two levels of Halruaan Elder and a second Practical Metamagic (note: skill rank prerequisites make this hard), you do the same at level 9, except that your caster level is sadly also 9. With slight early entry and a 13th level consisting of Archmage, you can drop Reach Spell.

War Weavers can do this at touch range at level 6, or at close range at level 10. In addition, they don't require any extra feat investment whatsoever, it's all class features. The only downside is they can only affect 6-8 targets (6-8 casting ability modifier at levels 6-10), and it takes 10 minutes to reattune to a new group, so you will need one Weaver per unit (which is not a bad thing at all, really).

If, under some interpretation, you can direct a Chained spell into an Eldritch Tapestry, and target a separate stack of secondary Chain Spell targets for each person in the tapestry, I see serious potential for a War Weaver metamagic reduction build, throwing Chained buffs around like nobody's business. You'd have a structure with a Main Node, [ability mod] Nodes spread in different directions, and [caster level] soldiers per Node. You could probably do something like that with just wizard/war weaver, since you can cast fifth-level spells through the tapestry (the tapestry automatically enhances touch spells to close range, but I don't think that allows you to apply Chain to them).

Fizban
2017-01-25, 11:37 AM
Build the necessary spells as Wondrous Architecture for 1/4 at-will cost. If a ship doesn't count as a building you can still get 1/2 cost by making it weigh several hundred pounds so it's hard to move around. Warforged that pass through the drop ring get buffed on the way past. Note that Earthen Grace only applies to falling on earth or stone, so if you land on a building, or a tree, or water, you're gonna have a bad time.

Anti-Impact armor from Complete Warrior cuts the damage in half, making it significantly easier to finish mitigating it through other means, cl10 vigor would handle it.