PDA

View Full Version : character help for a gestalt pathfinder harbinger

sage20500
2017-01-24, 05:58 AM
Im currently working on an app for a level 10 gestalt character for a pathfinder game. 50 point buy with the rp cost system in play, no elan, all paizo and dreamscarred press material allowed, but we are not allowed any spellcasting classes aside from dreamscarred press psionics.

This is my first time messing with path of war, and i was leaning on the idea of doing a bushi zweihander warden\\harbinger that uses a nodachi (to my knowledge it counts as a heavy blade and a pole arm), but aside from mithral current im not sure which disciplines i should be looking at that synergize well together. Black Seraph, Cursed Razor, Eternal Guardian, and Veiled Moon all look like they'd be alot of fun to mess around with all the potential chaos and debuffimg, but im not sure how well they'd do with a skirmishing character that is also acting as an off tank. As of right now, Warder is pretty much mostly being used for free int based combat reflexes and free reach with a nodachi, am unsure if there is possibly something else i could be looking at instead that would help add more fun to the harbinger side.

meemaas
2017-01-24, 01:53 PM
A build I've considered several times is taking a level in Mystic, and then the rest of the levels in Vizier from Akashic Mysteries. It is a bit of a magical class, but similar to Incarnum, it's not real spellcasting.

The idea is you shape and invest into Circlet of Brass, you can easily get a 5 Essence capacity into it, for a +6 bonus to all fire save DCs.

I know what you're thinking, why does this help? Well, that's where Mystic comes in. You generate an Animus every turn, and can spend an animus while performing a strike to turn it into your active element, in this case, Fire.

Now you can add a +6 bonus to the DC of every strike you have that has a DC, which considering Cursed Razor and Shattered Mirror, adds a very effective debuff to every rounds attack.

From there, you can also grab the Light Whip veil (9th level Viziers can bind it) to trip everyone within 15 foot every time someone provokes from you, and the Dark Presence feat can grant you an AoO even for five foot steps. As a bonus, this trip attack would be done with effectively almost full BAB and your Int, instead of the normal stats needed.

Finally, you can use the Loyal Paladin's Spear of Light to replace your weapon, using your veilweaver level in place of your BAB for it, to be more accurate.

Oh and I'm sure you're asking, "What if the target is immune to fire? Doesn't that invalidate the core of the build?" You can break that weakness with the Elemental Focus feat, which at 10th character level lets you harm even fire immune creatures, and wouldn't you know it, you're starting at 10th.

Of course, all of this is just my two cents, and the way I'd handle it. Your mileage may vary.

the_archduke
2017-01-24, 09:33 PM
Being an initiator on both sides of a gestalt is going to be redundant. You can't be in two stances at once and you can only initiate one strike per round and only one counter.

Gestalts are best when you pair an active side with a passive side. All initiators are active, so you need a passive pairing. You also want to fill holes in your chassis with the passive side. Harbinger is medium BaB with a good fort/will and bad reflex save. You also have 4+int skills.

I would suggest a Slayer on the other side of the gestalt, You gain good reflex save, two more skills per level and good BaB. Slayers also like a bit of intelligence, like harbingers. You gain a ton of bonus combat feats from Slayer. The only active part of the Slayer is studied target. You would be using move actions before level 7 and swift actions thereafter. That would cut into your ability to use boosts and counters, but studied is a pretty impressive boost on its own.

Second idea: Aegis. You improve your Bab (though not your reflex save or skill points per level). Aegis is about as passive a class as you can get. Your suit is a set of customizable buffs and fills any defensive holes you could think of. Aegis can also get you improved offense with size increases and reach.