PDA

View Full Version : Knowns spells for a Cleric?

StaleGoat
2017-01-24, 08:13 AM
I might be being really dumb but I can find anything on known spells for a cleric? How do you figure it out?

Bonus Question: Got any tips for playing a cleric?

Jarlhen
2017-01-24, 08:16 AM
I might be being really dumb but I can find anything on known spells for a cleric? How do you figure it out?

Bonus Question: Got any tips for playing a cleric?

Cleric gets the whole list of cleric spells. They can pick from any cleric spells detailed in the PHB. So you get all the general cleric spells and the ones from your domain. Then you just have to pick which ones to prepare for the day.

Spirit guardians+spiritual weapons+inflict wounds can do a lot of damage. No particular synergy, it's just a few good spells for damage. Don't bother healing people while they're up, wait until they're down. At least in the earlier levels. Remember your many, many, utility spells. Clerics get some amazing ones.

Draco4472
2017-01-24, 08:18 AM
Clerics do not know spells. They can prepare a certain amount of any and all spells found on their spell list, assuming they are of a level you can cast. Clerics also have spells that are counted as always prepared based on a chosen domain.

As for playing a cleric, depending on the domain, you can act as a frontline warrior as opposed to backline caster. The war domain happens to be my favorite.

jaappleton
2017-01-24, 08:32 AM
Druids, Clerics, and I think Paladins actually 'know' every single spell in their class list, plus their Domain, Oath, and Land options, respectively.

(Rangers are the only Divine casters that don't get this benefit. I've NO idea why, and it'd go a long way to fixing the class. But I digress...)

Whenever you finish a long rest, you pick a certain number of spells. For Clerics and Druids, it's their Cleric or Druid level, plus their Wisdom modifier. That's what you have prepared for the day. Additionally, you also get your Domain and Land spells.

For Paladins, its half your Paladin level plus your Charisma modifier, I believe. And their Oath spells.

Tips for playing a Cleric: IMO, even with a weapon-based build (Anyone that gets Martial weapon proficiency and additional weapon damage at lv8), it's not worth it to use a two handed weapon. Always carry a shield. You'll benefit more from the additional armor class. Honestly, you can take some hits as a Cleric, but you won't match the damage of a Fighter or Paladin. And that's fine. Try to always have Bless going, it's one of the best spells in the game. Guiding Bolt is a good damaging spell at the first few levels, discard it afterwards. Spiritual Weapon is basically a free attack for a whole fight, so cast it at the start of battle if you can. Remember, as far as healing, someone fights just as well with 3HP as they can with 30HP. That said, Healing Word > Cure Wounds, since HW is only a Bonus Action.

Millstone85
2017-01-24, 08:52 AM
The idea is that your god knows all the cleric spells, and you just pray for [Wis mod + cleric lvl] of them.

StaleGoat
2017-01-24, 08:58 AM
Druids, Clerics, and I think Paladins actually 'know' every single spell in their class list, plus their Domain, Oath, and Land options, respectively.

Ah! Thank you. That explains everything.

And your tips are really helpful! Im actually writing them down so I remember, haha!

jaappleton
2017-01-24, 09:14 AM
This might be the most important tip I give you, from one Cleric to another:

At low levels, especially before level 5, it is incredibly easy to go through all your spell slots. It truly is. You'll see Sacred Flame rolling for some pretty poor damage, and you'll be tempted to want to Inflict Wounds or Guiding Bolt an enemy. And if those miss, you've lost your spell slot and you'll be tempted to do it again, just to make up for your last turn where you didn't accomplish anything.

Don't do it. Your spell slots are a precious resource at low levels. Don't waste them. Think tactically, ALWAYS. Work with allies. If you approach some enemies, and they don't see you yet? Work with the Rogue, for example.

Rogue: "So they don't see us yet. So I'm going to notch an arrow into my bow and attack with surprise, so I'll have Advantage. I'll get to roll my attack roll twice!"
Cleric: "I do the same with Guiding Bolt!"

Any spell that requires an attack roll, you'll want advantage. Because casting it and completely missing? Oh, that's rough. Especially at low levels. It's another reason you'll always want to have Bless going; That +1d4 is going to make or break some rolls.

And always, always try to save one first level spell slot. Why? The emergency Healing Word. Think of this; If you have a 10 Strength and you're in Medium Armor, and the Half-Orc Barbarian gets knocked out, what're you going to do? Let's say you're clearly outmatched, the enemy got the drop on you. The best call is to flee. Barbarian (or Fighter, or Paladin, whatever... The meat shield) is down. Are you going to run over to him, sling him over your shoulder, and run away at full speed and manage to escape? No, that's not going to happen. You're going to get yourself or him/her killed doing that. Healing Word and run.

StaleGoat
2017-01-24, 09:33 AM
And always, always try to save one first level spell slot. Why? The emergency Healing Word. Think of this; If you have a 10 Strength and you're in Medium Armor, and the Half-Orc Barbarian gets knocked out, what're you going to do? Let's say you're clearly outmatched, the enemy got the drop on you. The best call is to flee. Barbarian (or Fighter, or Paladin, whatever... The meat shield) is down. Are you going to run over to him, sling him over your shoulder, and run away at full speed and manage to escape? No, that's not going to happen. You're going to get yourself or him/her killed doing that. Healing Word and run.

I never even thought of these. I'm really used to a spray and pray kind of combat "tactic", so it'll be a bit of a challenge for me but these really help. Especially the first level spell slot. So smart, thank you!

jaappleton
2017-01-24, 09:41 AM
I never even thought of these. I'm really used to a spray and pray kind of combat "tactic", so it'll be a bit of a challenge for me but these really help. Especially the first level spell slot. So smart, thank you!

"Spray n Pray" with a Cleric... ok.

In 5th Edition, it's important to remember some advice a person named TreantMonk once said: It's easier to prevent damage than to heal after the fact.

What is better? Casting a 2nd level Inflict Wounds for 4d10 (22 damage) or Hold Person? Hold Person doesn't hurt... but the enemy can't attack at all, and all attacks against the target (if made within 5ft) are automatically Critical Hits.

Remember, for a Crit, all damage dice are doubles. Rogue's Sneak Attack, the weapon dice, a Paladin's Smite... all doubled.

So never think of how much damage your Cleric can do.

Think of how much it can enable your allies to do, and how much it can prevent the enemy from doing.

That's not to say never try to do damage. Just think of what is better for a given situation.