PDA

View Full Version : What encounter have you always wanted to try on your party?

Arenabait
2017-01-24, 01:54 PM
Mine would have to be a squadron of kobold paratroopers. I want to get a bunch of kobolds, put them on the backs of vultures, have them jump off of the birds, pull a parachute, and drop into the middle of a fight that the party thought they were about to win.

Tiwanoz
2017-01-25, 05:01 AM
Seemingly easy goblin encounter, with one Goblin Arcane Trickster hidden. Who will attempt to steal spell focii or component pouches.

TurboGhast
2017-01-25, 09:47 AM
The walls of the room are closing in, threatening to crush the PCs. Simultaneously, the room's filling with water, potentially drowning them. Other traps, designed to hinder common escape tactics, are sprinkled around the room.

Connington
2017-01-25, 11:03 AM
The walls of the room are closing in, threatening to crush the PCs. Simultaneously, the room's filling with water, potentially drowning them. Other traps, designed to hinder common escape tactics, are sprinkled around the room.

...are the PCs supposed to be able to get out?

Arenabait
2017-01-25, 11:12 AM

Soooo... Tomb of Horrors?

Asmotherion
2017-01-25, 11:19 AM
An opportunity to have them fight against a Nothic. Never had the chance so far.

TurboGhast
2017-01-25, 12:39 PM
...are the PCs supposed to be able to get out?

Yes, they'd just need to use an uncommon escape method. The extra traps are optional, the main point of the room is simultaneous use of crushing walls and filling the room with water.

Soooo... Tomb of Horrors?

Wait, did Tomb of Horrors actually use this trap??

Ruslan
2017-01-25, 12:46 PM
An opportunity to have them fight against a Nothic. Never had the chance so far.I always wanted that too! If only for the chance to say "You know Nothic, Jon Snow!"

Fishyninja
2017-01-25, 01:05 PM
An opportunity to have them fight against a Nothic. Never had the chance so far.

They are [insert colourful language.....mutter grumble.

I always wanted that too! If only for the chance to say "You know Nothic, Jon Snow!"

See above.

First we were nice to the Nothic, we fed it, gave it shinies etc. It left us alone and we were happy but the ranger had to go and steal it's chest and then it got all annoyed and had to try and murder us. I buried it though to make amends.

Flashy
2017-01-25, 02:35 PM

I actually ran one as a party companion last session (hard to explain) and they're sort of dull in combat? They're either rotting gaze or melee attack every round with no really interesting alternate actions.

I find them more interesting as out of combat characters but ymmv.

Fishyninja
2017-01-25, 03:11 PM
I actually ran one as a party companion last session (hard to explain) and they're sort of dull in combat? They're either rotting gaze or melee attack every round with no really interesting alternate actions.

I find them more interesting as out of combat characters but ymmv.

Our DM slightly modified Rotting Gaze, if we failed the save, as well as taking the damage the Nothic was able to fill our minds with our worst fears and Anxieties which gave us disadvantage on attacks we then had to make a Wis Save to counter this.

INDYSTAR188
2017-01-25, 03:42 PM
This is related to Out of the Abyss so I will describe it in the spoiler but I have wanted to run the Maze Engine encounter since I first got the book! We only get to play about once a month or so, and are in Gracklsturgh/Whorlstone Tunnels at the moment. That means it will probably be a long time before we actually get there (stupid real life commitments).

Ok so this takes place pretty far into the module and I believe the expected PC level is about 11 or 12. The module describes the engine as:

"Deep in the Labyrinth lies the Maze Engine - a mechanical, magically powered device capable of altering reality."

Later they describe the environment:

"The Maze Engine is wedged halfway down a 20-foot-wide, 100-foot-deep crevasse located in the middle of a large cavern. The bottom is filled with magma. A shimmering curtain of heat rises from the crevasse."

The players have to climb down (or use magic, obviously) and use an Arcana check to activate the Engine. In addition to the crazy stuff the Engine does once activated (more on that in a sec), there is a nalfeshnee posted there by Baphomet and 2 magma mephits appear each round until there is constantly 12 of them!

Here's a sample of the craziness of this encounter:

"At the end of its turn during round 3, the engine shifts. Any creature standing on it must make a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw. If the save fails by 5 or more, the creature is knocked off the engine and into the magma. Otherwise a creature failing its save slides down the spherical side of the engine but automatically grabs one of its bands before falling."

So it goes on to describe that on round 6 it shifts again. On round 9 it slides down the crevasse towards the magma! Then they're rolling to avoid being dropped off. On round 13 the engine sinks into the magma. Also, on each of its turns you roll a d100 to see which of its effects happens and I'll list a couple random ones here (just rolled a 65, 86 and 9).

65 - The engine spews harmless, multicolored sparks (whew caught a break!).
86 - The engine flashes violet-white light, returning all extraplanar creatures (including the modrons, demons, etc) to their native plains.
9 - The engine flashes white light, all characters are transported, as they are now, back to the beginning of the adventure! (I think my guys would prob kill me so I will take that out/change it somehow).
37 - One more cuz these are so awesome! Loud whispers emanate from the hollow interior of the engine. Each character actually touching the Engine increases one ability score of their choice by 2 (to a max of 24)!

INDYSTAR188
2017-01-25, 05:27 PM
Seemingly easy goblin encounter, with one Goblin Arcane Trickster hidden. Who will attempt to steal spell focii or component pouches.

This is actually really awesome!

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-01-25, 10:37 PM
Ourselves.

I think it would be awesome to fight "evil" versions of ourselves. Same stats and all. See how we do, see if the DM can run it fairly.

Armok
2017-01-25, 11:50 PM
There's a certain NPC I decided early on who would become the lead antagonist of this arc of play. The party has so far let a handful of evil characters survive, one of which is a devil they neglected to chase after learning it's loose in the world.

I'm very excited for the moment this all comes together, which might be next week by the pace they're going. The antagonist already has several of his pieces in place...

Laserlight
2017-01-25, 11:55 PM
Mine would have to be a squadron of kobold paratroopers. I want to get a bunch of kobolds, put them on the backs of vultures, have them jump off of the birds, pull a parachute, and drop into the middle of a fight that the party thought they were about to win.

Much the same, except steampunk kobolds on aerial manta rays instead of vultures, and they're reinforcements for kobold lancers on kanga-raptors.

I am also planning to have the PCs use shields to snowboard down a double black diamond slope while being chased. Preferably by some sort of undead that can slide down the slopes after them.

Eunostus
2017-01-26, 02:47 AM
An encounter with a green hag in her lair with her awakened cauldron might be fun. She can cast spells and perhaps uses potions and poisons. Her cauldron breathes fire and attacks with the mixture currently bubbling away inside it. Maybe there are some pixies or sprites in glass jars the PCs can free for aid

Fishyninja
2017-01-26, 02:51 AM
This is related to Out of the Abyss so I will describe it in the spoiler but I have wanted to run the Maze Engine encounter since I first got the book! We only get to play about once a month or so, and are in Gracklsturgh/Whorlstone Tunnels at the moment. That means it will probably be a long time before we actually get there (stupid real life commitments).

Ok so this takes place pretty far into the module and I believe the expected PC level is about 11 or 12. The module describes the engine as:

"Deep in the Labyrinth lies the Maze Engine - a mechanical, magically powered device capable of altering reality."

Later they describe the environment:

"The Maze Engine is wedged halfway down a 20-foot-wide, 100-foot-deep crevasse located in the middle of a large cavern. The bottom is filled with magma. A shimmering curtain of heat rises from the crevasse."

The players have to climb down (or use magic, obviously) and use an Arcana check to activate the Engine. In addition to the crazy stuff the Engine does once activated (more on that in a sec), there is a nalfeshnee posted there by Baphomet and 2 magma mephits appear each round until there is constantly 12 of them!

Here's a sample of the craziness of this encounter:

"At the end of its turn during round 3, the engine shifts. Any creature standing on it must make a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw. If the save fails by 5 or more, the creature is knocked off the engine and into the magma. Otherwise a creature failing its save slides down the spherical side of the engine but automatically grabs one of its bands before falling."

So it goes on to describe that on round 6 it shifts again. On round 9 it slides down the crevasse towards the magma! Then they're rolling to avoid being dropped off. On round 13 the engine sinks into the magma. Also, on each of its turns you roll a d100 to see which of its effects happens and I'll list a couple random ones here (just rolled a 65, 86 and 9).

65 - The engine spews harmless, multicolored sparks (whew caught a break!).
86 - The engine flashes violet-white light, returning all extraplanar creatures (including the modrons, demons, etc) to their native plains.
9 - The engine flashes white light, all characters are transported, as they are now, back to the beginning of the adventure! (I think my guys would prob kill me so I will take that out/change it somehow).
37 - One more cuz these are so awesome! Loud whispers emanate from the hollow interior of the engine. Each character actually touching the Engine increases one ability score of their choice by 2 (to a max of 24)!

I would love to play this encounter, I love the randomness of it and the fact that it is in essence timed as well. So as well as this going on you have the mechanics of trying to escape, battling monsters and a wild sorcerer's wild magic table on speed

MrStabby
2017-01-26, 05:53 AM
Mass casters. Lots of low level casters, level 2 or 3 vs a higher level party. Lots of saves vs condition effects, lots of low level spells.

Maybe a mage school, a devil cult, a seminary for a faith... Not sure yet.

DragonSorcererX
2017-01-26, 07:32 AM
My encounter would be a Dragonborn Blackguard Wyvernrider! Because aerial battles are badass!

INDYSTAR188
2017-01-26, 01:52 PM
I would love to play this encounter, I love the randomness of it and the fact that it is in essence timed as well. So as well as this going on you have the mechanics of trying to escape, battling monsters and a wild sorcerer's wild magic table on speed

I know right? My absolute favorite encounters to design and/or DM involve interesting terrain and an immersive environment. The magma/crevasse, the enemies and the randomness of the Engine are a really good combo!

Also when I first read the encounter I kinda laughed at the mephits but they actually get some nasty stuff for a 1/2 CR creature. Specifically they can cast heat metal once per day and can use a fire breath attack. Not too shabby! The nalfeshnee looks like a pretty interesting baddie too.

Fishyninja
2017-01-26, 01:56 PM
I know right?

My DM likes throwing in timed events into battle, he willa ctually set a countdown going and we have to get to a certain objective in real time. For example, fighting a load of enemies and the cave starts to collapse due to a support strut being taken out, he then may set a 2 or 3 minute timer for us to finish combat and get the hell out of there.

Kefvin
2017-01-27, 03:22 AM
Ourselves.

I think it would be awesome to fight "evil" versions of ourselves. Same stats and all. See how we do, see if the DM can run it fairly.

This happened to my party in a PF campaign. Was the hardest fight of the campaign. One of my favourite fights ever.