PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying [Undine] How to justify gaining the racial ability to breat water at level 3?

Zhentarim
2017-01-24, 02:34 PM
Lets say I have a really old undine that has never breathed water her whole life. Then, at level 3, I give her the aquatic ancestery racial feat. How would I roleplay gaining that ability? I could do this at 1st level, but my build kind of requires that I have selective channelling as my first feat.

Inevitability
2017-01-24, 02:38 PM
Old injury to the airways that got healed?

Receiving the blessing of a water deity/spirit?

Horrifying physical experimentation involving grafted gills?

Zhentarim
2017-01-24, 02:38 PM
Old injury to the airways that got healed?

Receiving the blessing of a water deity/spirit?

Horrifying physical experimentation involving grafted gills?

I like the second one because she is a cleric.

Fouredged Sword
2017-01-24, 02:59 PM
"OH! THAT's what those flippy things on the side of my neck do! The things you learn EH?"

TheIronGolem
2017-01-24, 03:02 PM
If the campaign isn't starting at level 1, or if aquatic issues haven't come up before you took the feat, you can just say you had the ability all along and don't need to tell a mini-story to justify it (unless you want to).

Zhentarim
2017-01-24, 03:08 PM
If the campaign isn't starting at level 1, or if aquatic issues haven't come up before you took the feat, you can just say you had the ability all along and don't need to tell a mini-story to justify it (unless you want to).

Well, it starts at level 1 and the whole campaign is underwater.

Strigon
2017-01-24, 03:15 PM
Gills, on a very basic level, function entirely differently from lungs.
Having spent your entire life not needing to use gills, you never learned how to use them. Only recently did you discover exactly how they worked.

Firebug
2017-01-24, 05:22 PM
Have you seen the movie Splice?

Basically, you 'accidentally' drown and realize that you can actually breath water, you just hadn't tried in a stressful situation.

Zhentarim
2017-01-24, 06:47 PM
Have you seen the movie Splice?

Basically, you 'accidentally' drown and realize that you can actually breath water, you just hadn't tried in a stressful situation.

I like that one, too!

Particle_Man
2017-01-25, 12:12 AM
You get bitten by a radioactive spiderfish. Or at least an abyssal one. :smallbiggrin:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abyssal_spiderfish