PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Creating a Low OP Summoning Class in 3.5

Jazzman0o
2017-01-24, 04:39 PM
Hello,
So I am a relatively new player (I have played only for a few months) and I wanted to know if it was possible to make a summoning class for 3.5. I am playing in a Low OP campaign and it would have to be a 5th level character although the idea could be to evolve the character into a summoner. From what I know there is no dedicated summoning classes in 3.5 but several classes have summoning spells. So perhaps it is possible to make a summoner who at lower levels dubs as a healer (we currently do not have a healer in the party)?
We currently have; a Dragon Breath adept, a Barbarian who took a level in fighter, a Rogue and a Druid.
Anyways, any help is more than welcome and if you have any further questions just ask. Thanks for the help!

The Glyphstone
2017-01-24, 04:52 PM
If your other Druid doesn't mind doubling up, Druids actually can do both of those fairly well. They cast Summon Nature's Ally spontaneously, so you can load your actual spell slots up with Cure spells and convert them into Summons as necessary.

After that, you next best option is a Cleric with the Summoner domain (from Spell Compendium). If you start out with the domain and pick up the Domain Spontaneity feat later, that would give you the increased summoning opportunities you wanted as well.

Jazzman0o
2017-01-24, 05:46 PM
If your other Druid doesn't mind doubling up, Druids actually can do both of those fairly well. They cast Summon Nature's Ally spontaneously, so you can load your actual spell slots up with Cure spells and convert them into Summons as necessary.

After that, you next best option is a Cleric with the Summoner domain (from Spell Compendium). If you start out with the domain and pick up the Domain Spontaneity feat later, that would give you the increased summoning opportunities you wanted as well.

Thank you for the idea. I dont really want to be the second druid in a party and sadly we are only using the spells from Spell Compendium. On a tangent what would you recomend as a fun "Shamany" kind of class. Im hoping to be a full caster that can focus primarily on healing but can also deal decent damage.

J-H
2017-01-24, 06:02 PM
Spirit Shaman from Complete Divine casts off of the Druid list. Each day, you pick a number of spells (based on level) from the Druid list. Those are your spells known for the day, and for that day they act as spells known similar to a sorceror.

There's a feat (don't recall where, CDiv) that lets you spontaneously convert spell slots to SNA just like a druid.

Spirit Shamans have some fun fluff and some decent class abilities (permanent always-on protection from evil at level 4, etc). There's less bookkeeping required than for a Druid.

Shinn
2017-01-24, 06:06 PM
Maybe you can ask your DM for using Pathfinder's summoner : d6 Hit Dice (maybe d4 for 3.5), low BAB, 2/3 Caster, but he automatically knows any summoning spell for an extended duration (1 minute per CL), and gets an Eidolon, basically a summonable Cohort that you can customize.
He doesn't gets any Healing spells, but you can still get a Wand and recharge it with your unused spell slots.
Here's the class : http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner

Coretron03
2017-01-24, 07:12 PM
Maybe you can ask your DM for using Pathfinder's summoner : d6 Hit Dice (maybe d4 for 3.5), low BAB, 2/3 Caster, but he automatically knows any summoning spell for an extended duration (1 minute per CL), and gets an Eidolon, basically a summonable Cohort that you can customize.
He doesn't gets any Healing spells, but you can still get a Wand and recharge it with your unused spell slots.
Here's the class : http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner

If he wants to summon primarily I would recommend using the summoner class from pathfinder too but in lower Op remove some stuff by being a master summoner. The key points are 5+ Cha summon moster spells per day, gining augment summons for free at level 2. Remove the eildrion entirely because it carries alot of pathfinder stuff with it. The chassis could either stay the same or be lowered to d6 hitdie and half bab. Also let the summoner use the wizard spell list but with bard spells known and casts per day.