PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Elan Ranger/Psion/Slayer gish

danielxcutter
2017-01-24, 08:24 PM
Soooo... I've got an idea for a Order-of-the-Stick style webcomic that I'm trying to make into a reality, and one of the NPC characters is going to be an Elan Ranger(Strong-Arm Style ACF) 2/Psion 8/Slayer 10/Epic Slayer 4(similar to Epic Eldritch Knight) with Claws of the Beast from Expanded Knowledge and the Rapidstrike feat chain.

Yes, I am fully aware that a) Psion(Egoist) is the most optimal discipline choice because of Metamorphosis and b) I should give her Vampiric Claws and the Combat Reflexes + Robitar's Gambit feat chain as well if I want to optimize a lot.

News flash: Neither I nor the character herself will bother with optimizing too much.

While yes, her claws are indeed going to be her most deadly weapons in melee combat, I don't want to focus on just that. Rather, I'd like to make her into a powerful damage dealer in general, in both melee and ranged combat, either with powers or her claws(and maybe actual weapons if she feels like it or has to).

Also, I'd like to make her into a bit of a glass cannon. Not really that much, since she is an Elan and she picked up the really good defensive buffs like Inertial Armor, Vigor, Mind Blank, and Damp Power, but compared to either her quite formidable offensive capabilities, and her teammates(which include a Half-Orc Fighter/Barbarian and a Warforged NG Incarnate), her defensive abilities are somewhat weaker.

Finally, she likes to show off a bit and use flashy powers if the fight's not that tough, like launching Colossal lances with Telekinetic Thrust, but when the chips are down, she'll start spamming high-efficiency, high-effect powers like Energy Missile, Tornado Blast and Disintegration, Psionic, as well as augmenting her claws up to the max. If she's really pissed, she'll use the deadly Temporal Acceleration + Delay Power combo to destroy her opponents completely and use Metamorphosis to turn into devastatingly powerful combat forms.

That's my plan. Any suggestions?

Grod_The_Giant
2017-01-24, 09:53 PM
Umm... okay? Seems like a decent enough build, though I'd probably drop the second Ranger level-- the manifester level is probably more important to you than the feat slot. I guess you need some sort of swift action movement? Hustle or Psionic Lion's Charge (RAW you only need to cast it once!) or something. I'm not sure that the details matter too much for a work of fiction...

danielxcutter
2017-01-25, 01:51 AM
Umm... okay? Seems like a decent enough build, though I'd probably drop the second Ranger level-- the manifester level is probably more important to you than the feat slot. I guess you need some sort of swift action movement? Hustle or Psionic Lion's Charge (RAW you only need to cast it once!) or something. I'm not sure that the details matter too much for a work of fiction...

It was actually for hitting the benchmark of +16 BAB. The bonus feat and skillpoints are icing on the cake.

danielxcutter
2017-01-25, 05:59 PM
Soooo. I take it that I've managed to avoid any obvious blunders and I can go with the idea? Anyone have more advice? If not optimal stuff, how about cool stuff?

Grod_The_Giant
2017-01-25, 06:24 PM
It was actually for hitting the benchmark of +16 BAB. The bonus feat and skillpoints are icing on the cake.
I'd argue that since you're relying on natural weapons for your main offense, the benchmark isn't really worth worrying about. But if you do really want to hit it, Spirit Lion Barbarian 1 is probably better.

danielxcutter
2017-01-25, 07:58 PM
I'd argue that since you're relying on natural weapons for your main offense, the benchmark isn't really worth worrying about. But if you do really want to hit it, Spirit Lion Barbarian 1 is probably better.

Eh, good advice from an optimization viewpoint, but sadly it would not fit with the character. :smallfrown: Sorry.

Does anyone have advice for cool powers or uses of powers that would fit the character?