PDA

View Full Version : Legends of Anglerre

Grod_The_Giant
2017-01-24, 08:50 PM
Has anyone played this game before? I've just been invited to a campaign using it, and, well... I've played a few Fate games before (Core, Dresden Files RPG) and only have a PDF, so I'm worried I'll miss a bunch of important idiosyncrasies. Any advice?

daniel_ream
2017-01-25, 02:36 AM
Yes. (Well, GMed.)

LoA is closer to Dresden Files than Core, since both DF and LoA are based on Spirit of the Century, and Fate Core is the streamlined version of that.

LoA is more everything: more skills in the list, more stunts available, and PCs start with more Aspects and more Skills and Stunts on their sheet. There are a lot of specific subsystems for magic, siege combat, running kingdoms, Epic-level play, and Crowning Moment of Awesome multiplayer combat maneuvers.

Personally, I think it's too much everything. It's a very heavyweight game, mechanically, for a Fate game. I'd put it on a par with Shadowrun. You can see where the Fate developers took some of the ideas/subsystems in LoA and streamlined them for Fate Core (like Zird's magic system and the stacking of Advantages by multiple players to grant one huge bonus to the final blow).

I'm worried I'll miss a bunch of important idiosyncrasies.

I would describe the game as being nothing but idiosyncrasies, myself. After running a short-lived campaign of it I lost my taste for all the subsystems and exceptional cases. I later rebooted the campaign with Fate Core, and we all had a lot more fun, but it did feel less flavorful for the lack of specific mechanics. YMMV.

hooman_haghighi
2017-01-25, 05:02 AM
thanks...
very goood post.
i like that

mxwholesale. co. uk