PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Giant Based Campaign (Players as them)(Brainstorm)

bunnynoah
2017-01-24, 11:10 PM
So here's the down low: I thought about this as a potentially colossal campaign (get ready for bad puns) that could be both fun and bring players to a new height.

The rules would be simple:
- You can only be a true giant of either frost, fire, cloud, or storm subtype.
- You cannot choose evil, even when your race is all or partially evil.
- There are two additional sizes after Colossal: Titanic and Mountainous. (Meaning literally the size of mountains and possibly other geographic features)
- certain classes are not permitted as they wouldn't be practical at this size.

The quest would involve a group of giants trying to fight enormous enemies that the small folk couldn't possibly dream of fighting. Each have their own goals and views toward the small folk. Eventually a titanic (insert entity here) reveals itself and the brave giants must fight it as if they were mice against an elephant.

What do you guys think? It's really rough, but it has potential in my eyes.

Edit: Changed the title in case of confusion.

bunnynoah
2017-01-25, 12:10 PM
Anybody interested in helping?

The_Iron_Lord
2017-01-25, 03:19 PM
That sounds really cool!! For a campaign like this, you might want to create size categories above Colossal; the Epic Handbook technically has one, but it doesn't really count...The modifiers should be easy to advance, as they all follow a geometric pattern.

That said, you do have to be careful: not all giants are on equal footing or strength. This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21553387&postcount=897) post should help you in defining their relative abilities, along with the discussion found in the rest of the thread.

EDIT: Also, I've always thought the Elder Titan from the Epic Handbook (CR 30) deserves to be bigger than Colossal...

Sizes
Large(Fire, Stone, Hill, and Frost)
Huge(Cloud and Storm)
Gargantuan
Colossal
Immense (?)
Titanic (?)

Amechra
2017-01-25, 03:31 PM
Which edition are you thinking of running it in?

bunnynoah
2017-01-25, 03:36 PM
Bigger than colossal is a great idea!

I'm used to 5e, so that would be ideal.

bunnynoah
2017-01-25, 07:33 PM
Also, is there still LA in 5th edition? It wouldn't matter as it says all of the Giants have -0 LA, which means no adjustment (I think)

bunnynoah
2017-01-25, 11:41 PM
Edited main post for some new rules. I'm not sure if they're ok.

Potato_Priest
2017-01-27, 08:34 PM
Bigger than colossal is a great idea!

I'm used to 5e, so that would be ideal.

Is colossal even a size category in 5e? As far as I'm aware, it goes like this
Tiny
Small
Medium
Large
Huge
Gargantuan

All giants are huge. Where do your new sizes fit in? Do any existing monsters change size?

bunnynoah
2017-01-28, 01:27 AM
There is colossal, but after reviewing the PHB, I realized we were using pathfinder for the sizes. ( OR maybe 3.5e) The Giants should technically all be huge.

Flashy
2017-01-28, 03:38 AM
Also, is there still LA in 5th edition? It wouldn't matter as it says all of the Giants have -0 LA, which means no adjustment (I think)

LA is not a thing in 5e.

Given that Frost, Fire and Cloud are all CR 9 those would probably fine, but Storm Giants are considerably more powerful at CR 13. Probably don't want to allow those in with the others. How do you plan to handle ASIs? The giants are already breaking the normal maximum in some areas, so how high are they allowed to go?

LeonBH
2017-01-28, 03:50 AM
He could make each player the equivalent of a CR 13 creature even if they chose Frost, Fire, and Cloud, just to keep things even.

It's a bit worrying though because, if Giants are going up against Mountain-size creatures... I can't even begin to think of the stat scores of those enemies. You need very high level spellcasters to deal with that, or very powerful legendary magic items.

bunnynoah
2017-01-28, 11:46 AM
The thing is, since the main focus of the campaign is that you're bigger and stronger than the normal races, everything will be adjusted for that. Enemies will be stronger than if you were playing in a normal campaign, as your character will be stronger. Encountering smaller enemies might not even be worth the time as they aren't that significant.

Either that, or we make everything weaker so that, relatively, giants would be as strong as normal races, normal races would be weaker, and the same goes for all enemies. This is more manageable for the player, but would take time to completely redesign their stats.

Potato_Priest
2017-01-28, 02:27 PM
The thing is, since the main focus of the campaign is that you're bigger and stronger than the normal races, everything will be adjusted for that. Enemies will be stronger than if you were playing in a normal campaign, as your character will be stronger. Encountering smaller enemies might not even be worth the time as they aren't that significant.

Either that, or we make everything weaker so that, relatively, giants would be as strong as normal races, normal races would be weaker, and the same goes for all enemies. This is more manageable for the player, but would take time to completely redesign their stats.

I'd make the PCs really badass rather than make the npcs lame.

So, a few suggestions for rules right off the bat

Rather than increase the size of the players' hit dice, give them 2 or 3 hit dice instead of 1 at each level. For example, a level 3 giant barbarian has 6d12 hit dice, while a level 3 giant wizard has 6d6.

Cap player's strength and con at 26-30, possibly cap all ability scores up there to maintain class balance.

Triple weapon & unarmed strike damage dice. At least double spell damage dice.