PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Vampire Templates Comparison: Which is better?

Getsugaru
2017-01-24, 11:35 PM
A player from one of the games I am currently playing previously expressed an interest in playing a vampire character. Likewise, in the process of flipping through the Draconomicon, I found the Vampiric Dragon Template. Normally these two templates would never need a comparison against each other as one can only be applied to dragons while the other can only be applied to the two types of humanoids. Everything changes, however, when we bring in our lovely little friends, the kobolds.

Now, for the purposes of this question, I've brought in our friend Meepun from over on the brilliant gameologists/minmaxboards (say hi to the playground, Meepun). Now for the sake of this experiment, we'll assume that Meepun has been studying under Schrodinger and therefore both does and does not have the Dragonwrought feat. This therefore means that Meepun theoretically qualifies for both types of Vampire templates and must therefore choose between the two. The question, therefore, is which one?

Vampire Template
Vampiric Dragon Template

Current and future HD Become d12
HD Remain unchanged, but gains bonus hit points equal to 4 * HD

Natural Armor bonus improves by +6
Natural Armor bonus improves by +2

Gains a Slam Attack as a Natural Attack
Does not gain a Slam Attack as a Natural Attack (already has natural attacks)

Blood Drain gives 5 Temporary Hit Points per successful attack
Blood Drain does not give Temporary Hit Points

Gains Children of the Night (Su): Summon swarms of rats, bats, or a pack of wolves to serve for an hour (arrive in 2d6 rounds); Standard Action
Gains Charm (Su): Charms all creatures within 30 ft per age category (as charm monster); Full Round Action

Gains Dominate (Su): Can dominate with a gaze (as CL 12 Dominate Person) to a range of 30 ft
Gains Domination (Su): Can dominate with a gaze (as CL 18 Dominate Monster) to a range of 30 ft plus 10 ft per age category

Energy Drain applies to weapons and slam attacks; inflicts two negative levels and gives 5 Temporary Hit Points per level bestowed; once per round usage
Energy Drain applied to claw attacks only; inflicts one negative level and does not give Temporary Hit Points; no limit on usage per round

Create Spawn (Su): Can control a number of HD equal to the vampire's own times 2
Create Spawn (Su): No limit on how many spawns under the Vampiric Dragon's control; can additionally create Vampiric Dragons and Zombie Dragons under their control

Gains Alternate Form (Su): Can turn into a bat or wolf (normal or dire)
Does not gain Alternate Form (Su) if not already possessed

Gains DR 10/Silver and Magic; natural weapons treated as magic for purpose of overcoming DR
Does not gain DR if not already possessed

Fast Healing (Ex): If reduced to 0 HP, turns to Gaseous Form (20 ft Flight Speed, Perfect Maneuverability); can travel nine miles within two hours to retreat to coffin; is helpless for 1 hour before rising to 1 HP
Fast Healing (Ex): If reduced to 0 HP, turns to Gaseous Form (40 ft Flight Speed, Perfect Maneuverability); can travel eighteen miles within two hours to retreat to hoard; is not helpless for 1 hour before rising to 1 HP

Gains Gaseous Form (Su): at will; indefinite duration
Does not Gain Gaseous Form (Su)

Gains Cold and Electricity Resistance 10
Gains Cold and Electricity Resistance 20

Gains Spider Climb (Ex)
Does not Gain Spider Climb (Ex)

Vampire Weaknesses: Can survive direct sunlight for one round, second round destroys; running water deals 1/3rd maximum health as damage, destroys on third round (exception: any vampire with a swim speed); a stake to the heart instantly slays a vampire, but returns to life if stake is removed unless body is destroyed; cannot tolerate the odor of garlic; recoils from mirrors and holy symbols; cannot cross running water (but can be carried over in their coffin); cannot enter a private building unless invited
Vampire Weaknesses: Can survive direct sunlight for a number of consecutive rounds equal to its age category, destroyed one round after; is not harmed by running water; a stake to the heart instantly slays it as normal for a vampire (stake size requirement changes with Vampiric Dragon Size); returns to life if stake is removed unless body is destroyed; not repelled by garlic or mirrors; can cross running water; cannot enter a private building unless invited (tend to get around this by destroying the building and picking through the rubble)

Gains +6 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Int and Wis, and +4 Cha; loses Con
Gains +4 Str, +6 Dex, +2 Int and Wis, and +4 Cha; loses Con

LA +8
LA +5

Specific limitations when a cleric, sorcerer or wizard
No specific class limitations

Now then, with all of the above in mind (and going only off the two templates and not the obvious draconic silliness advantages of being a dragonwrought kobold), which template will Meepun want to obtain when Meepun dies to a vampire's blood drain? Personally, I'm inclined to call the Vampiric Dragon template better; the LA 3 less, the weaknesses are more easily managed, there are more control abilities and they are both stronger and based on better spells, and getting back to your hoard (which, by the way, you can carry about with you as an adventurer) is easier with the doubled movement speed. I also feel the boosted Dexterity is better than the strength for a Kobold, who natively has a Dex bonus and a Str penalty. Not having to worry about the Con penalty as well thanks to the Undead type factor is also a boon, in my opinion.

Still, I'm curious to everyone's thoughts about the matter.

Inevitability
2017-01-25, 04:35 AM
Vampire Dragon, hands down. 3 LA is a huge difference, especially on a caster (which a dragonwrought kobold is probably going to be).

Also, the lack of spawn creation limits are pretty abusable. You could literally round up a small town (not difficult for a mid-level adventurer), turn them all, and have a few hundred CR 4 minions within days.

eggynack
2017-01-25, 04:48 AM
Yeah, you don't seem to lose all that much compared to a vampire by going vampire dragon instead, and three levels of anything is great. Worth note though, vampires absolutely get undead traits. Undead traits are just the things that undead get, and vampire makes you undead, so you're getting all that stuff except where explicitly stated otherwise.

Getsugaru
2017-01-25, 11:25 AM
Yeah, you don't seem to lose all that much compared to a vampire by going vampire dragon instead, and three levels of anything is great. Worth note though, vampires absolutely get undead traits. Undead traits are just the things that undead get, and vampire makes you undead, so you're getting all that stuff except where explicitly stated otherwise.

Actually, just going off the SRD (which is where I got all my information for the Vampire template), it doesn't state anywhere in the template that they gain undead traits; the lack of an example of a vampire just makes it more arguable. So rather than state that you do get it when it says nothing about getting it (as opposed to the Vampiric Dragon which explicitly says it does), I left it open to DM fiat. Of course, I'd be more than happy to update the table if the difference is proven to be the same for both.

Flickerdart
2017-01-25, 11:29 AM
You could literally round up a small town (not difficult for a mid-level adventurer), turn them all, and have a few hundred CR 4 minions within days.

It's not like that's particularly difficult (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-327984.html)for a regular vampire.

Inevitability
2017-01-25, 11:48 AM
It's not like that's particularly difficult (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-327984.html)for a regular vampire.

Fair point, but I would like to note the dragon doesn't need to locate 10th-level characters or legendary tigers, but can just munch down on commoners (which are significantly easier to find in most campaigns). In addition, the dragon doesn't find half his minions freed and angry at him if a cleric annihilates one of his buddies.

Uncle Pine
2017-01-25, 12:01 PM
Actually, just going off the SRD (which is where I got all my information for the Vampire template), it doesn't state anywhere in the template that they gain undead traits; the lack of an example of a vampire just makes it more arguable. So rather than state that you do get it when it says nothing about getting it (as opposed to the Vampiric Dragon which explicitly says it does), I left it open to DM fiat. Of course, I'd be more than happy to update the table if the difference is proven to be the same for both.
The two vampires statted in the actual Monster Manual have undead traits.

In general, every creature of a type has that type traits unless otherwise noted. For example, see here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#undeadType):

Undead Type
Undead are once-living creatures animated by spiritual or supernatural forces.

Features
An undead creature has the following features.

12-sided Hit Dice.
Base attack bonus equal to ½ total Hit Dice (as wizard).
Good Will saves.
Skill points equal to (4 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die, if the undead creature has an Intelligence score. However, many undead are mindless and gain no skill points or feats.
Traits
An undead creature possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

No Constitution score.
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
Cannot heal damage on its own if it has no Intelligence score, although it can be healed. Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures. The fast healing special quality works regardless of the creature’s Intelligence score.
Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.
Proficient with its natural weapons, all simple weapons, and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Undead not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Undead are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

Under the rules for applying a template (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#readingATemplate), there's also:

If a template changes the base creature’s type, the creature also acquires the augmented subtype unless the template description indicates otherwise. The augmented subtype is always paired with the creature’s original type. Unless a template indicates otherwise, the new creature has the traits of the new type but the features of the original type.

Specifically, the vampire template turns any humanoid or monstrous humanoid into an Undead (therefore acquiring undead traits) with the augmented humanoid or monstrous humanoid subtype, which as far as I know has little meaning outside of the following:

Augmented Subtype
A creature receives this subtype whenever something happens to change its original type. Some creatures (those with an inherited template) are born with this subtype; others acquire it when they take on an acquired template. The augmented subtype is always paired with the creature’s original type. A creature with the augmented subtype usually has the traits of its current type, but the features of its original type.

Getsugaru
2017-01-25, 12:27 PM
Well, if they mention it in the MM, then I'll fix the table right now.

Troacctid
2017-01-25, 01:17 PM
Vampiric Dragon is better and it's not close. Even if they had the same LA, just upgrading from Dominate Person to Dominate Monster alone would probably put it ahead. Add in the fact that the Vampiric Dragon gets an extra 3 levels of ECL to play around with and there's no contest.