PDA

View Full Version : Since when is 4 a Swarm?

Sans.
2017-01-25, 12:17 AM
When I pictured Meteor Swarm for the first time, I pictured an actual swarm of tiny meteors zooming towards the target. Who blows up. :smallbiggrin:

StorytellerHero
2017-01-25, 12:37 AM
You could also picture it as big meteors made up of a ton of tiny meteors that break apart on impact and briefly swarm around their targets.

Finback
2017-01-25, 04:53 AM
It's actually a typo.

Meteor's Warm.

Hence the burninating.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-01-25, 04:57 AM
I thought they just wanted it to sound more intimidating than 'meteor shower'... :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2017-01-25, 06:48 AM
It used to be 4 or 8 - then the 8 option got eliminated.

Regitnui
2017-01-25, 07:02 AM
How big are these meteors? Remember, one of sufficient size caused the Tunguska event (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event), after all.

Arkhios
2017-01-25, 07:10 AM
How big are these meteors? Remember, one of sufficient size caused the Tunguska event (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event), after all.

http://www.openminds.tv/wp-content/uploads/I-am-not-saying.jpg

Shoreward
2017-01-25, 07:43 AM
A little self-indulgent on my part, but... My own little explanation of what occurred to cause this, in story form. :smallbiggrin:

Archmagister Telais peered over the stack of notes in front of him, catching the eyes of the young apprentice sitting in the opposite chair. The apprentice lowered his gaze.

Telias sighed and set the papers down on the desk. In any other magisterial office, this might have kicked up a cloud of dust – but the Archmagister prided himself on cleanliness. He clasped his hands together and leaned back to gaze down the rims of his spectacles.

“An interesting spell you have devised,” he said, breaking the silence. “What was it that you called it, again?”

“Meteor Swarm, sir.”

Telais nodded as though remembering. “Ah, yes. A fascinating name. Perhaps you could explain your reasoning...?”

The apprentice's face scrunched with confusion. He frowned.

“Well, you know the old saying, sir. Two is company, three is a crowd...”
“Aha, yes. I am familiar with the idiom.”
“I was thinking... if three is a crowd, and four is bigger than three, then four must be the next biggest thing.”
“An enlightening thought process.”

The apprentice fidgeted in his seat, growing visibly uncomfortable. “What would you have called it, sir, if you don't mind my asking?”

Telias tilted his head and reclined in his seat. After a moment to think, he answered.

“Meteor Quartet, I shouldn't wonder.”

The apprentice baulked, sitting up straight for the first time.

“What do you think this is,” he asked, “Bard's College?”

coredump
2017-01-25, 08:15 AM
Good news then.... just reread the spell. It's not '4 meteors' its "4 points" and multiple "orbs" (plural) hit everything around those 4 points. Its 4 swarms of meteors.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-01-25, 08:15 AM
http://www.openminds.tv/wp-content/uploads/I-am-not-saying.jpg

Why not both? Maybe a mind flayer arcanist cast Meteor Swarm...

Ursus the Grim
2017-01-25, 09:47 AM
Because when you get hit by four meteors, are you really stopping to count them?

Tanarii
2017-01-25, 09:53 AM
Good news then.... just reread the spell. It's not '4 meteors' its "4 points" and multiple "orbs" (plural) hit everything around those 4 points. Its 4 swarms of meteors.
Good call. I definitely have always viewed it as four orbs, one per impact point. but rereading it from this point of view, it definitely reads as if it's many meteors hitting aroun each point.

Here's a question. Since the meteors are strongly implied to fall down to the impact point from above, what happens if there is a 10ft ceiling? What if there is a 15ft tall creature, with a 16ft ceiling?

adonis53
2017-01-25, 09:59 AM
I've always assumed that the meteors shoot out from the caster’s hands or around there because why else would it require line of sight?

Tanarii
2017-01-25, 10:04 AM
I've always assumed that the meteors shoot out from the caster’s hands or around there because why else would it require line of sight?

Many spells require being able to see that don't have anything that traverses to the target. And the orbs 'plummet to the ground' which implies falling from above.

I agree it's not a for sure interpretation. But it's a long stronger implication than coming from the caster in a direct line. So maybe you're thinking of previous editions, some of whichthey explicitly came from the caster in a direct line?

Btw they could come from the caster in an arc (and end up plummeting). And yes, technically they could go in a straight line to the target area then plummet to the ground. But to me, that's not a straightforward reading of the words.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-01-25, 10:05 AM
why else would it require line of sight?

Because blindfolding yourself and randomly carpet-bombing a huge area of land is not a Good Idea?

Tanarii
2017-01-25, 10:13 AM
Because blindfolding yourself and randomly carpet-bombing a huge area of land is not a Good Idea?
Sounds like a description of the Vietnam war /ba-dum *tish*

Sans.
2017-01-25, 12:45 PM
I would call it Meteor Storm. 4 isn't a swarm, but stuff exploding is definitely a storm.

spartan_ah
2017-01-26, 08:53 AM
you know what they say...
2 is a company, 3 is a crowd, 4 is a swarm...

shuyung
2017-01-26, 03:54 PM
A logical puzzle that would probably interest you is the Sorites paradox.

Tawmis
2017-01-27, 02:02 PM

Actually, I always say 2 is attempted murder...

http://data.iwastesomuchtime.com/February-12-2012-18-29-49-atempt.jpg

JumboWheat01
2017-01-27, 09:31 PM
Actually, I always say 2 is attempted murder...

http://data.iwastesomuchtime.com/February-12-2012-18-29-49-atempt.jpg

This is funnier than should be allowed. I'll have to save this for later use.

Foxhound438
2017-01-28, 01:28 AM
*me, every time I have to use a swarm of x creature on my party*

"You see exactly 4 bees fly out of the nest after you smack it. Roll initiative."

Alatar
2017-01-28, 04:19 AM
Three is a crowd, so four is a swarm. Well, I guess you could call it a foursome if, you know, we were talking about golf.

Finback
2017-01-29, 09:08 PM

Five is *right out*.