PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!

Dunavar
2007-07-20, 11:09 AM
Me again and I'm still very confused. How do I link up with other people, how do I play games, how do I create a character for those am I assuming things about this that aren't real? Please help!:smalleek:

Castaras
2007-07-20, 11:11 AM
...On what? :smallconfused:

crimson77
2007-07-20, 11:11 AM
Well if you are interested in joining a play-by-post (pbp) game then this link will tell you all about it. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46074

North
2007-07-20, 11:12 AM
head to the silly message board games or play by post forums

Azrael
2007-07-20, 02:29 PM
Alright, you seem terribly lost. So let's begin at the beginning, shall we?

This is an internet forum. It's like a cocktail party that everyone's invited to. Small groups form around a topic of conversation, with people flowing between these little groups at their leisure. Some things are debated, other things created and some games are played. And, like any good cocktail party, you'd be better off to assume that some of us are drunk -- it'll be easier to accept odd behaviors that way :smallwink:. There are, at all times, some basic rules that we are all governed by, you've undoubtedly see the links at the top of the page and the top of each forum.

Also, you are new to this party. And as such, there will be a period of adjustment until you've figured out what is going on. Don't feel left out, but on the other hand, realize that you've come into a party that is in full swing. Things are apt to be confusing. Watch, listen and observe -- you'll get the hang of our particular demeanor quickly enough.

Mind you, we're all wearing masks at this party - although there is one corner where people take them off (See the You threads where posters occasionally post pictures of their Real Life selves.) Behind these mask we do not, necessarily, behave in the exact manner we do outside of the cocktail party. Some of us are fairly transparent, while others do put on a bit of a show. But as a general rule of thumb, this cocktail party is *not* a grand stage and we are not in character, acting out a scene. We are ourselves, only gussied up a bit.

Your kind guide feels rather strongly that the more transparent you act, the more likable people will find you. He would even suggest that you be yourself, for dramatic constructions tend to be tiring. But, much like all of life & literature, there are exceptions to the rule. The beautiful, handcrafted masterpieces are a delight. But they are rare. Very. Rare.

Anyhow, on a lighter note: The dramatic do have a place that is all their own -- Within the Silly Message Board Games there is a place called the Town. It is a free form, rules free role playing section where people assume characters completely of their own devising and interact amongst the masses. There are no rigid guidelines to follow and no rule set to learn -- not that there aren't Rules of Posting that still govern *your* behavior. Not your character, but you. Real You.

There is also a section where you can play role playing games (RPGs) in a post by post fashion -- the Play by Post forum. If you're unfamiliar with RPGs in general -- and clearly, you are -- you should, in my opinion, stay clear of Play by Posts (PbP) for now. People have congregated there to play their games, much like you might join your friends for a game of monopoly, and would like it very much if the random neighbors next door did not interrupt. Some day however, once you've at least become familiar with the concepts behind this new and more complex version of monopoly, you should not hesitate to pop into any thread that is recruiting for new players and toss your hat in.

Beyond that, our regular conversations are divided amongst the dozen or so forums -- Banter here, Gaming there, Site issues down below and the like. Each forum even has a nice little explanation about the appropriate content that fits within. Again though, there are Rules from on high that *must* be obeyed.

As an after thought, don't forget the first rule of cocktail parties (no, not the part about where your pinkie should be when holding stemware): It is terribly impolite to discuss politics, religion or wanton impropriety.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-07-20, 11:25 PM
^ And if your name isn't on the list, we can sneak you in the back.

(Mumbles about Azzy saying all the important bits)

Serpentine
2007-07-21, 03:38 AM
Dunny, if you want decent help you're gonna have to tell us exactly what it is you want to do.
Do you want to play a real life game of Dungeons and Dragons? Your best bet is to drop in at a bookshop or comic book store or something similar and find out whether they can give you any information on games or gamers around. Otherwise, you could try getting your friends together to play, and/or ask around to see if you know anyone who has played before. You will probably need access to a Players Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide and a Monster Manual, but you could probably make do with the System Reference Documents (http://www.d20srd.org/)for now. There are character sheets available for download from the 'net, or they can be bought.

Do you want to play a D&D-based computer game? There's Baldur's Gate I&II, Planescape: Torment and Neverwinter Nights I&II.

Do you want to play in the Playground? Play By Post is your best bet and I believe it explains everything in there. It includes a forum for DMs to advertise for potential players.

Is it something completely different? Please, tell us.

Orzel
2007-07-21, 03:53 AM
And, like any good cocktail party, you'd be better off to assume that some of us are drunk -- it'll be easier to accept odd behaviors that way :smallwink:.

Hey, man. you're... your'e the guy. Hey everyone, he's the guy. A smart guy. Azrael is a smart person!

Dunavar, need more info.