PDA

View Full Version : Optimization helping a DM friend out at making a boss

deathbymanga
2017-01-25, 03:11 AM
So, my friend asked a bunch of us to help him with worldbuilding a campaign he runs by making some Guild-Bosses at 20th level.

He's allowed everything but Dragon Magazine for us to use and has even allowed Pathfinder. However I'm not that great at minmaxing, so I was wondering if I could get some help.

What I have so far is an Evil Necromancer Druid with the Blight Druid Subclass, the Viper and Bloodborn Domains, Undead Leadership, and the Mother Cyst feat. He also has the Concealed Spellcasting and False Theurgy.

Flavourfully, there isn't much reason for him to be a Druid beyond just I really like Blight Druids since they give you 5 Domains full of spells and Necromancer Druids seems really fun. The guy is mostly built around using Necrotic Cysts to brainwash an entire city into becoming worshipers of him as a Cult Leader and leaving Sleeper Cell agents around the city in the form of guards, businessmen, trader, royalty, etc, which he uses to exert his influence around

I rolled his stats and got 13 13 10 14 16 14 (Having the ability to gain life from necrotic energy and poison immunity means having low Fort isn't that bad)

I haven't picked out a race yet, though I'm thinking of going Drow using the Sandform + Incarnate Construct to drop the Character Level to 20.

Thoughts?

Ruethgar
2017-01-25, 03:37 AM
Drow have an ECL 0 variant if you just wanted the flavor, or could fluff a half-drow to be "full blooded", but 3.5 also has LA buy off, which makes it easy to get rid of a mere +2. If you make him undead(Necropolitan) he can take all three of the Leadership feats(Leadership, Undead Leadership: Liberia Mortis and Undead Leadership:Dead Life Web Article) plus Extra Followers for some built in devoutees. Doesn't have good synergy with Wis, but even without investment still nice. You may also want to look to see if any of the Elder Evils merit your devotion based on his personality/outlook and Choas Shuffle the feats away. The undead baby moon comes to mind.

deathbymanga
2017-01-25, 03:53 AM
Drow have an ECL 0 variant if you just wanted the flavor, or could fluff a half-drow to be "full blooded", but 3.5 also has LA buy off, which makes it easy to get rid of a mere +2. If you make him undead(Necropolitan) he can take all three of the Leadership feats(Leadership, Undead Leadership: Liberia Mortis and Undead Leadership:Dead Life Web Article) plus Extra Followers for some built in devoutees. Doesn't have good synergy with Wis, but even without investment still nice. You may also want to look to see if any of the Elder Evils merit your devotion based on his personality/outlook and Choas Shuffle the feats away. The undead baby moon comes to mind.

He's an NPC so having Leadership isn't that necessary, he could easilt just have a bunch of followers without the feat around

Whatever his race is, i don't really know. I just know what he does. He's a Druid who uses the natural order of the world (that people die, zombies exist, and cancer is natural) and twists them for his own self-interest.

Ruethgar
2017-01-25, 09:42 AM
I tend to try and make my NPC have more concrete basis for their resources. Plus the leaderships add loyalty which, depending on the DM, may be harder to turn against the cult than his "normal" followers.

I would probably say the Mother of Monsters would be a little better fit for an Elder Evil then.