PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Overruning and attack

Roctopus
2017-01-25, 08:20 AM
Hi all,
tried to find the answer in the forum without luck.

May I overrun an enemy, to reach an adjacent square, and after strike him in the same round?

Thank you.

SilverLeaf167
2017-01-25, 08:29 AM
No, because using Overrun is a standard action. That means you no longer have a standard action left to use on the attack afterwards.

Overrun
You can attempt an overrun as a standard action taken during your move. (In general, you cannot take a standard action during a move; this is an exception.) With an overrun, you attempt to plow past or over your opponent (and move through his square) as you move. You can only overrun an opponent who is one size category larger than you, the same size, or smaller. You can make only one overrun attempt per round.

Emphasis mine.

Roctopus
2017-01-25, 08:31 AM
Thank you.

mabriss lethe
2017-01-25, 04:08 PM
Or more precisely: Normally, no. But certain action economy shenanigans can make it possible.

A few examples:

-A factotum with Cunning Surge could do it all day long by burning inspiration for extra standard actions.

-Anyone could do it occasionally with access to a Belt of Battle (use a swift action and burn charges to gain a standard action)

-There's a scepter in the magic item compendium that lets you knock out a piddly 1d6 fire ranged touch attack as a swift action (I can't think of its name, but it's included in the item set section. Not great, but might be useful if you've managed to snag some Sneak Attack damage from somewhere.