PDA

View Full Version : The Old Library: Help me build an adventure!

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-07-20, 12:19 PM
Okay, the PC's are going to be sent on a mission to get a scroll with some old information in it. It is in an anachic library from centuries ago, and will be empty, except for a few pests.

At least, that's what the PC's think.

I would like suggestions for a few encounters.

1. Along the way. This is a ruined city underground, so undead/subterran would work well here.

2. The walls of the library: a few defenses, either creature or built, to defend the library from intruders. Can be bypassed with a library card, if a character possesses one. (They don't at the moment.)

3. Inside the library: They will find a librarian, undead. She tells them to go down to the basement, and otherwise gives directions and advice. No fights here.

3a. The vault. If the PC's look around enough, they are bound to find the vault. It is defended by a creature made of chains. To defeat it, they must hit some of the chains until they open for a moment, and then slip through and break the power gem. This will be optional, but treasure filled.

4. The lower floor, west wing. Here's that scroll... oh dear, it would seem that a monster likes this volume very much, and isn't about to hand it over. Beat him down. Right here, we need an intelligent monster that likes to read. Too bad it can't be a beholder. The monster will run away up the stairs, collasping them.

5. The stairway has collapsed, and the PC's are going to have to take the back way up. That happens to be infested with creatures. Dang.

6. Convince Librarian to give them cards. Nice little use of diplomacy.

7. Nasty reading monster returns, and this time, with some magic item. Nice cap to the adventure.

So, I'm gonna need monsters. Interesting ones. the party has 6 level 5 members, so they are EL 6.

rollfrenzy
2007-07-20, 12:31 PM
For the reading monster I like the idea of maybe a ghost or vampire here, that will just sit and ignore the pcs until they try to touch the scroll. then will attack (I really get the feel of the ghost from theopening scene of Ghostbusters).

Tweekinator
2007-07-20, 12:31 PM
How focused are they on combat? If they are all at least decent in combat, you may want to consider an ogre mage for your reading monster.

Telonius
2007-07-20, 12:38 PM
Intelligent monster that likes to read... I'd suggest a Gargoyle, or possibly a Svirfneblin or evil Gnome. Gargoyle could be interesting, especially if the library has a few stone statues of gargoyles. Alternate idea: a Ghost or Spectre that tosses tiny Animated Objects (i.e. books) at the adventurers.

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-07-20, 12:42 PM
Ogre Mage is what, CR 9? And invisible. That would be an encounter full of pwnsauce, and not the good kind either.

The old DM REALLY overused gargoyles, so no.

Spectre... They don't really have the capability to hit that. Perhaps a Ravid... but I think that's also CR9. I like the idea of flying books. Evil Gnome works too.

Edit: I'm gonna use a Ravid with some template, and modify it to have more intelligence. I still need ideas for the other things, though.

JellyPooga
2007-07-20, 12:58 PM
If you're doing an adventure in an ancient library and you don't play an overly serious game, you might like to include an idea that one of my mates put into a one-off we played some years ago (be warned it's really quite silly).

Somewhere, deep in the library is the "scribing room", just off of this room is (what amounts to) a walk-in cupboard with a deep well in the centre. Upon inspection, the 'water' is pitch black and opaque (when describing this, it's best to ham up how sinister this appears...flickering torches and all that). Tasting it, it's horribly bitter and it stains your hands, you're unable to wipe it off. Slowly, it dawns on the PC's that the 'water' is in fact...ink...It's a well; full of ink...an Ink Well...:smallannoyed: :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

When we played that game we spent ages at this well trying to work out what it was...finally it twigged when someone asked, quite unbeknowingly "So it's like ink then?"...groans ensued as the penny dropped.

Swooper
2007-07-20, 12:58 PM
For the chain monster, Kyton (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/devil.htm#chainDevilKyton) is CR 6. For the bookish baddie, maybe a Medusa (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/medusa.htm) would do the trick? Ogre Mage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ogreMage.htm) is by default CR 8, not 9. Here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20060721a) is a redesign of it that knocks it down to CR 5, so maybe a couple of class levels would make it an interesting fight.

Hope this was helpful :smallsmile:

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-07-20, 01:06 PM
A kyton just isn't what I'm looking for. The Kyton is very interesting, but in the end, he can be bypassed and defeated like anything else. My baddie is basically a living wall of chains. It is a puzzle Monster. A puzzle monster is one that is very difficult, but can be defeated if the right method is used.

Roffle. I will definetly use that Ink Well Idea...

draca
2007-07-20, 01:07 PM
Ogre Mage was my first thought, but in the interests of letting the party survive, a Vampire Spawn might be a good encounter. They are CR 4 but their special abilities can leave a party rather grumpy, including energy drain and turning to a mist to auto-escape at 0 hp.

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-07-20, 01:15 PM
Hmm. I will certainly use a vampire spawn at some point, it sounds like a great reacuring villian, though he'll have to be advanced/class leveled.

draca
2007-07-20, 01:20 PM
Awesome! Glad you liked it.

For the chain monster, from what you described it’s a type of a variant of an Iron Golem,

But in this instance the creating wizard used a massive amount of chains with the earth elemental spirit bound to the gem in the middle instead of the traditional humanoid oversized suit of metal armor. That depending on how much you want to tweak it, could change the CR and the types of attack. However the write-up I’m reading seems fine, just with a different description and visual effects. If it’s supposed to be more of a puzzle then a straight beat-down, then the intimidating CR of 13 is appropriate, forcing the party to think and look for the weakness instead of blindly attacking.

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-07-20, 01:31 PM
Good idea. Basically, if they do 15-20 damage to it, it will open up a hole in its wall just for a moment, and the character has to have a readied action to jump throught it. They will also get a mace that does sonic damage, and it will automatically open a hole. On the other side, the gem sits inside the clump of chains, and can be destroyed quite easily.

So, any idea for what template the Ravid gets?

SpikeFightwicky
2007-07-20, 01:32 PM
Old library? You should use some 'Large Animated Objects' in the form of possessed bookshelves.

Keld Denar
2007-07-20, 01:41 PM
For the approach, you could have a small expeditionary party of drow/dreugar/other evil underground race that came on the city and are just searching for treasure. Apply a couple PC classes, even go iconic if you want.

Another idea I like is a small pack of hungry ghouls lead by a ghast. It's kind of lowish EL, unless you add like, a level of rogue to each of them, and have them stalk the party from the rooftops of the underground city, eventually dropping in for a little swarming. Since they'd be spread out, they wouldn't be as easy to AoE spell, and at least one PC should get paralyzed. One ghoul is CR 1, with a level of rogue, they'd be CR 2, 4 would be EL 6 and with a ghast leading, that would be EL 7 or 8ish. That would be a decent challenge for a party with an average party level of 6. Give out a couple spot checks and an uneasy feeling of being followed. Then pounce. Maybe the ghouls were a gang of street thugs and rooftop thieves in life, and now forever more hunt their old grounds. I like this idea.

Good gaming!

draca
2007-07-20, 01:43 PM
So, any idea for what template the Ravid gets?

Hmm, you got me there. I know very little about adding templates, so can’t think of any on the fly that would fit. It’s got a decent CHA, and with more INT either a sorcerer or psion level or two would be appropriate (more conjuration and enchantment spells specifically).

Something like an air-spirit or light-spirit template would be appropriate too to make it seem even more ethereal and ghostly. /shrug

Koji
2007-07-20, 01:48 PM
Book of Vile Darkness has some chain spells, specifically "Chain Wall" and "Spiked Chain Wall" that might help you design your chain guy.

Earth Elementals are great in any underground encounter. They're fairly intelligent, and with the earth glide/push ability, they can really ruin a party's day.

In Final Fantasy Tactics, there's a battle that takes place in an underground library. The huge bookshelves are arranged in a mazelike pattern, and many of the bad guys can shoot, cast spells, or jump over the cases. You could have a vampire spawn (Jump and Spider Climb) and a few wizards and archers scattered around. The object of the game becomes to reach and kill the enemies before you take too much damage.

There could be a huge mirror on the ceiling (perhaps a reflecting dome put in at one time as an artistic touch) that would allow the party and the enemies to see each other. This could also provide an interesting way to fight the medusa, as well.

Also good for places like this are Redcaps, from the fiend folio. Give them a few extra HD and suddenly you round the corner to take 2d4+14 damage in the face. Spriggans work as well, and incorporeal undead can be a real hassle here.

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-07-20, 01:49 PM
All sound ideas. Thanks all. I'll still take suggestions, but I'm gonna get to work on this.

mostlyharmful
2007-07-20, 01:55 PM
Bear in mind that as the DM you don't actually need a template, just mix up the abilities that you think the "new and improved" Ravid would be cool eith, take a guestimate on the CR and hey-presto beautiful bossman. The template rules only kick in when one of your players thinks it's cool, so cool that they want to be one. And theat right there, that's when you KNOW you rock.

AKA_Bait
2007-07-20, 02:16 PM
A few thoughts:

2. I would suggest glyphs of warding and some animated objects probably. The glyphs can be particularly good because you can place other spells (like sleep etc. in them.) If you want to house rule and fudge a little you can even put spells like suggestion in there with suggestions like 'get a library card'.

4. Take a look at this thing. The demented one strikes again on the homebrew forum. I think it might work for you.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10714&highlight=Books+MitP

You might also want to consider throwing this in someplace: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50196&highlight=Books
It's pretty cool. CR may be a little high but you could nerf it down.

bigbaddragon
2007-07-20, 02:29 PM
Old library? You should use some 'Large Animated Objects' in the form of possessed bookshelves.

You really should include this. Animated objects can get quite annoying for a low level party if you animate something large, mostly because of grapple. My character once got beaten up and almost killed by damned animated closet that was hitting me with its doors for a few rounds and then engaged in grapple.

Animated closets gaaaaaah :smallfurious:

Iku Rex
2007-07-20, 02:33 PM
I assume you've had a look at the library contest on the homebrew forum?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48597

Chronos
2007-07-20, 02:50 PM
One general comment: It looks like you're planning this out in great detail. Be aware that "plan" is a word for a list of things which don't happen. For instance:

4. The lower floor, west wing. Here's that scroll... oh dear, it would seem that a monster likes this volume very much, and isn't about to hand it over. Beat him down. Right here, we need an intelligent monster that likes to read. Too bad it can't be a beholder. The monster will run away up the stairs, collasping them.

5. The stairway has collapsed, and the PC's are going to have to take the back way up. That happens to be infested with creatures. Dang.Or the party manages to kill the reading-monster before it can escape. Or it escapes and collapses the stairs, but the party wizard casts Fly, and takes everyone back up the stairwell. Or the party rogue manages to climb up the walls and/or the remnants of the staircase, and lowers a line to bring everyone else up. Or the party notices on the way down that the stairs are unstable, and manages to rig a way to collapse them under the monster, instead of behind it, killing it in the fall. Or probably about ten thousand things that neither you nor I have thought of. Or this part of the adventure goes according to plan, but they do something completely different somewhere else.

Now, this is not a bad thing. A role-playing game is supposed to be collaborative storytelling, and the players are supposed to take part in ways the DM didn't anticipate. Just be aware that at some point during the adventure, something unexpected will happen, and you'll have to wing it. You might even have to throw away a few pages of your careful planning. Such is life.

bosssmiley
2007-07-21, 07:29 AM
Hostile animated spellbooks that launch themselves off the shelves and flap around after the PCs casting spells at them (treat as Living Spells from Eberron/MM3). Not in ones or twos, flocks of the things!
For added lulz, make them bloodthirsty vampiric animated spellbooks (with Stirge-like bloodsucking), or give them keen edged pages and the Flyby Attack feat.

I know it's totally not what you were asking for, but tell me they wouldn't be a memorable fight!

Oh, and if you have "Planar Handbook" look up the Library of Ignorance planar touchstone site. Evocative and creepy!

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-07-21, 10:45 AM
I assume you've had a look at the library contest on the homebrew forum?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48597

=o

THIS IS THE THEME OF THE MONTHLY CONTEST?!

No... Way. Gotta check that out. This is PURE coinicidence, by the way.

1. Animated Objects FTW. Cheap and easy to make, gives the Haunted Library feel, and low CR.

2. Living Spells maybe. With all the things you're giving these books, keeping CR down is gonna be hard.

3. I'll check out the homebrews Bait, thanks.

Anxe
2007-07-21, 01:00 PM
Mind Flayer or Ogre Mage for the one who wants the scroll. A minotaur in a maze. A Flesh Golem or even a Clay Golem if you feel evil.

Citizen Joe
2007-07-21, 01:20 PM
Present them with a stuck door. When they breach the door, it collapses in and sucks some of the party into the room like a gust of wind. When they get their bearings and bring some light into the chamber they discover the books and scrolls are suddenly decaying right before their eyes. This is more of a warning to the group that they'll need to figure out some way to prevent the target scroll from going poof as soon as they enter.