PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Iron Gods adventure path?

Duskwolf
2017-01-25, 02:21 PM
It seems our gaming group is imploding, again, and I was considering running Iron Gods, leading into the starfinder expansion. Will be using dreamscarred press. Any thoughts or advice? And yes there may be a miniature giant space hamster named boo around.

unseenmage
2017-01-25, 07:10 PM
Our group absolutely adored Iron Gods. So much we're playing through it twice more in two different games.

Check my sig for my Clockwork Spacewhales thread for some examples of our exploits.

Some notes,
- Allow Glaucite to bypass it's own Hardness as though it were Adamantine so that it has a use and so that Torch is less incapable of using the stuff.

- Expanding the Guns Everywhere (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/combat/firearms.html) option to Tech Everywhere has been loads of fun. Also brings tech prices down to a manageable amount.

- Constructs got shafted in the PF conversion. The pitiful hp by size doesn't scale by CR and the seemingly randomized pricing makes them much less accessible than Undead. Our solution was to use the Price by CR info from the Building and Modifying section of the PRD. We also give Constructs bonus hp based on Str instead of the size based hp.

- Tech is non-magical and can be Animate Object-ed. That said a Simulacrum of a Tech Artifact is a terrifying thing. We agreed not to do that to our GM. I advise not allowing it either, though by RAW it would seem to work.

- There's an FAQ somewhere IIRC that says to let Adamantine bypass a Robot's Hardness, makes the encounters a little less of a slog overall. Worked well enough for us.

- For our game we let the character building robots reprogram them with a Programming Lab. Used the Programmed Amnesia spell for the mechanics. Let it work on AIs as well.

- Expand on the Technic League. As written they're pitiably weak to be chokeholding tech from the rest of the world the way they do.

That's all I can remember for now. I would comment further but our GM embellished on the module quite a bit and I'd hate to provide advice for something that isn't even in there. :smallsmile:
Good luck, hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Thealtruistorc
2017-01-25, 08:15 PM
Shameless Self-Promotion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?511088-Total-Party-Kill-Games-Presents-Arcforge-Technology-Expanded-(Playtest))

But beyond that, try and play up the atmosphere as much as possible. Iron Gods is cool because no other adventure has flavor anything like this, so go the extra mile in descriptions and explanations (the glee on a player's face when they learn about a new weapon just by firing it should be a part of every adventuring group).

Also, halve the prices on tech. The stuff is way to expensive as-is.

Duskwolf
2017-01-25, 09:31 PM
Thank you both on your well written replies. I am an decades long veteran of gaming but I rarely Dm but with our group imploding again I am thinking of stepping up. With only three players am considering letting them gestalt.

Biguds
2017-01-26, 11:18 AM
Hello there.

I DM this AP for my party, and I can say we (really) love it.
Apart from wat everyone says, we simply never had any problem with RD, because, as the Player's Guide say, player characters are expected to fight robots and deal with technnology. So, everyone prepared thematic characters with means to deal with it.

But we'd found the Technologist just a feat tax, as everyone needed it more os less, so, I gave it away as a bonus.
We also used the Guns Everywhere option for firearms, but that never really made the great difference.

Lastly, but not last, we are thinking in boarding starfinder after I.G to!

~ I pray for The Maiden of Gears bless your pistons and pumps

unseenmage
2017-01-26, 12:11 PM
Anyone else planning on weaving that new Aethera (http://www.aetherarpg.com) material into their post-Iron Gods shenanigans?