PDA

View Full Version : Player Help new player need ruleing

ygbacklash
2017-01-25, 03:28 PM
hello thanks for takeing the time to read this I have never played DnD but am an avid gamer so understand the ideas but this I'm not sure on I am making a rogue with the intent of going arcane trickster sneaky stabby spellcaster seems like fun and its how I played games like oblivion and skyrim so here is my char

human rogue
str 11
dex 18
con 12
int 14
wis 12
chr 13 got nice rolls for a first time (other players not so much)

criminal background altogether I have acrobatics, arcana, deception, investigation, perception, sleight of and and stelth

my hang up is on my feat I initialy thought it would be cool to have a feat and built a backstory around having been a theif as a child and taken in by a warock at a young age raised to help him with stealing ect and learning what I could from him as magic fascinated me so I thought Magic Initiate with some cool warlock spells maybe illusion and hex plus something els all good but I am not sure how spell slots work in the game I was just thinking maybe that wont work do rogues have a spell slot before arcane trickster I'm thinking they do not and I couldent cast anything until trickster making it a bit less usefull or do I get spell slots from the feat?

thanks again if you can answer please do and suggestions on spells and play style are appreciated xD

side note I took commen and draconic as speech figure it could fit the backstory of a thief learned draconic to talk in secret suggestions on this as well if you got any

Ninja_Prawn
2017-01-25, 03:40 PM
or do I get spell slots from the feat?

Magic Initiate is separate from your (lack of) spell slots. It's always 1/day, regardless of whatever spells you would otherwise have.

As an aside, you might actually want to avoid getting Minor Illusion from Magic Initiate, since you'll almost certainly be picking up Silent Image at level 3, and there's a lot of overlap between the two. Though I suppose you could also argue that they go well together...

Fishyninja
2017-01-25, 03:44 PM
hello thanks for takeing the time to read this I have never played DnD
Welcome!

human rogue
str 11
dex 18
con 12
int 14
wis 12
chr 13 got nice rolls for a first time (other players not so much)

Not bad at all I am assuming you are going as a Variant Human (hence having the feat).

I thought Magic Initiate with some cool warlock spells maybe illusion and hex plus something els all good but I am not sure how spell slots work in the game I was just thinking maybe that wont work do rogues have a spell slot before arcane trickster I'm thinking they do not and I couldent cast anything until trickster making it a bit less usefull or do I get spell slots from the feat?
As far as I am aware by taking this feat you gain the two cantrips of your choice and one 1st level spell therefore by being able to cast the spell you'll have a first level spell slot. Hex is a good spell but look at Booming Blade for one of the Wizard Cantrips

Evocation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, M (a weapon)
Duration: 1 round

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and it becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves before then, it immediately takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends.

This spell's damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target, and the damage the target takes for moving increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level and 17th level.
So you hit them and move (will have to take an attack of oppoortunity) and then when they chase after you they take extra damage...You know why this is great later, because once you get Cunning Action you can disengage and run away without suffering an attack of opportunity. They chase after you and BOOM, extra damage.

side note I took commen and draconic as speech figure it could fit the backstory of a thief learned draconic to talk in secret suggestions on this as well if you got any
Well Criminals learn Thieves Cant which is a coded language to allow criminals to speak in secret so you have that already, however depending on the backstory your DM could hook some Dragonborn people to chat too

ygbacklash
2017-01-25, 04:23 PM
thanks for the info I can atleast stick with that feat now that I'm looking more into the spells I can get and skills ect I need to decide on a focus if I want to go casting with the skill to stealth attack with spells or use all support magic (may need to get healing with my group lacking) I remember reading a spell before tho that was something along the lines of summon a flame blade as a bonus does 2d8 or 2d6 fire dmg and at that time I was thinking ranged with that as a back up if they come in close

every time I look something up I think of some new way to play it haha

how would a turn work out if I had illusion as in could I put up an illusion wall and hide/stealth gaining advantage on ranged/spells until they can get through it or pass some check? not sure if this is kind of a up to the DM thing assumeing everything is up to the DM in the end tho xD

in your opinion if I go arcane trickster with this feat at lvl 1 should I go with stealth magic dmg, close up dmg with support spells I.E the booming blade I believe it was called or ranged weapons with illusions and support

Fishyninja
2017-01-25, 04:35 PM
how would a turn work out if I had illusion as in could I put up an illusion wall and hide/stealth gaining advantage on ranged/spells until they can get through it or pass some check? not sure if this is kind of a up to the DM thing assumeing everything is up to the DM in the end tho xD
Again it is DM dependant.
I am actually playing a Rogue/Arcane trickster. I use the Illusions as distractions etc, image of something a guard might want to investigate or creating a sound for them to investigate. I have got away with creating a 5ft crate and hiding in that before.

in your opinion if I go arcane trickster with this feat at lvl 1 should I go with stealth magic dmg, close up dmg with support spells I.E the booming blade I believe it was called or ranged weapons with illusions and support
The way I play it is I use my spells/cantrips to create advantageous situations allowing my party to sneak up on an enemy, they engage in combat, I move to said enemy, attack with booming blade (and get to add my sneak attack), then disengage. The enemy now either has to continue figthing my party member, or chase me and suffer 1d8 of damage and a Attack of Opportunity from my party member.

Really play it how you want to, experiment and have fun.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-01-25, 04:37 PM
thanks for the info I can atleast stick with that feat now that I'm looking more into the spells I can get and skills ect I need to decide on a focus if I want to go casting with the skill to stealth attack with spells or use all support magic (may need to get healing with my group lacking) I remember reading a spell before tho that was something along the lines of summon a flame blade as a bonus does 2d8 or 2d6 fire dmg and at that time I was thinking ranged with that as a back up if they come in close

That's Flame Blade on page 242. It's a druid spell that's not usually interesting to other classes.

Illusions always entail some amount of 'ask your DM', but the 'I hide behind an illusory wall' ploy is pretty common. The issue you have is that creatures will start to disbelieve the illusion if they see something that doesn't make sense, like you firing arrows through an image of a brick wall. With a bit of creativity, you can get around that, though.

Booming Blade is extremely good on rogues, but generally I wouldn't recommend treating Magic Initiate as a damage source. It's more geared toward support/utility. Especially the 1/day 1st level spell... there isn't enough of it to make a combat spell worthwhile. You'd probably be better-served by something like Find Familiar.

Fishyninja
2017-01-25, 04:43 PM
The issue you have is that creatures will start to disbelieve the illusion if they see something that doesn't make sense, like you firing arrows through an image of a brick wall. With a bit of creativity, you can get around that, though.

Evil Commander: "Jenkins did that wall always have these conviently placed arrow slits in them?"

Jenkins: "I believe they did sir!"

*Rogue fires Arrow, hit's Commander*

Commander: "Good to see they are working!"

Rogue: "Tee Hee!"

The Ship's dog
2017-01-25, 04:52 PM
If you are going to play an Arcane Trickster, then you can pick up booming blade as one of your Wizard Cantrips and can pick up a different Cantrip from the Magic Initiate feat, or you could pick up Green Flame Blade from Magic Initiate as it is a Warlock cantrip as well and then pick up Booming Blade later at level 3 as well.

ygbacklash
2017-01-25, 04:53 PM
xD love it yeah I have been watching a show on youtube called heros and halfwits and they did some fun stuff with illusion wall ok I will play it by ear now that I have some info I will try to get past my min max mindset xD I most deff was considering find familiar tho I was a bit confused on the components and how I would get them but as a human I have no good sight so having a bat/owl seems like a must bonus seeing as so far my party has no low light/ dark vision

ygbacklash
2017-01-25, 04:54 PM
If you are going to play an Arcane Trickster, then you can pick up booming blade as one of your Wizard Cantrips and can pick up a different Cantrip from the Magic Initiate feat, or you could pick up Green Flame Blade from Magic Initiate as it is a Warlock cantrip as well and then pick up Booming Blade later at level 3 as well.

I was mostly considering non wiz spells for initiate to exspand the potential spells I can have ill check green flame blade out

edit: after looking it does jumping dmg but with casting mod and my charisma is only a +1 mod so I don't know if I read it wrong but seems like it would not be great for me

Contrast
2017-01-25, 04:56 PM
Honestly I wouldn't recommend magic initiate if you're planning on going Arcane Trickster. You're going to pick up spells and cantrips anyway - extras are nice but I'm not convinced that they're worth a feat. I'd be inclined to pick up something fun like Actor. Failing that Mobile, Skulker and Lucky are all good. If you really want a spellcasting feat I think you'll get more long term use out of Ritual Caster (much less useful if you already have a wizard in the party).

Of course if you like the idea for roleplaying reasons feel free to ignore the above :smallsmile:

ygbacklash
2017-01-25, 05:03 PM
Honestly I wouldn't recommend magic initiate if you're planning on going Arcane Trickster. You're going to pick up spells and cantrips anyway - extras are nice but I'm not convinced that they're worth a feat. I'd be inclined to pick up something fun like Actor. Failing that Mobile, Skulker and Lucky are all good. If you really want a spellcasting feat I think you'll get more long term use out of Ritual Caster (much less useful if you already have a wizard in the party).

Of course if you like the idea for roleplaying reasons feel free to ignore the above :smallsmile:

yeah mostly found my way into it as I created the character in my head I did consider ritual caster and was also looking at spell sniper if my DM determind I could hold the feat until level 3 but having thease spells not takeing spell slots gives me more range as my spell slots will be limited, really I'm not going the same route as this but the char I was baseing the idea on was my oblivion invisabilty spam theif (I know game breaking lameness but it was funny) but it evolved from just magic to sneak into more dmg when I decided on a backstory of I was taken in by (insert casting class here) and learned a bit in my time hence arcana in my skills as well I'm really considering cleric because of a lack of healing but I don't think I will wouldent relly fit the back story as easy not sure a cleric would keep and teach the little stealing kid until he was grown without sending him off to a temple or something lol

Fishyninja
2017-01-25, 05:09 PM
Another good feat for rogues to note is Alert. A +5 to Initative and you cannot be suprised.

Mobile is good as it allows you Disengage without using your bonus action with Cunning Action therefore you can use it for Dodge etc and Movement speed is always good. Are you going to be melee, ranged or both?

The Ship's dog
2017-01-25, 05:13 PM
Another good feat for rogues to note is Alert. A +5 to Initative and you cannot be suprised.

Mobile is good as it allows you Disengage without using your bonus action with Cunning Action therefore you can use it for Dodge etc and Movement speed is always good. Are you going to be melee, ranged or both?

Well, you can't use Cunning Action for Dodge, but having it free so you can hide is really good especially if you aren't using Crossbow Expertise for hand crossbow attacks with the bonus action.

ygbacklash
2017-01-25, 05:14 PM

that really is the end all question that I cant seem to decide on

Fishyninja
2017-01-25, 05:19 PM
Well, you can't use Cunning Action for Dodge, but having it free so you can hide is really good
You are correct, my apologies, I am AFB so did not check.

that really is the end all question that I cant seem to decide on
Well my character is solely Melee for the RP and for the fact that we have a ranger, 2 casters and a bard with a hand crossbow.

ygbacklash
2017-01-25, 05:26 PM
my group is not completely ready by any means we have our DM writeing something but right now its me and a guy playing some homebrew goblin that uses tons of bombs we have a 3rd person who is going to fill in but the plan was to make him a tanky type and we are trying to talk a 4th player in so I may have to decide when we get it all set

Fishyninja
2017-01-25, 05:42 PM
From the sounds of it maybe work a little on both, find a decent finesse weapon like a Rapier and then for a back up a Hand Crossbow. Then you can be dealy up close and from far away.

ygbacklash
2017-01-25, 05:47 PM
I start with a raiper and a short bow so I have options

Fishyninja
2017-01-25, 05:49 PM
I start with a raiper and a short bow so I have options
Then you are Golden :)