PDA

View Full Version : What is the best blaster?

Sir cryosin
2017-01-25, 03:44 PM
So how do you make the best blaster? Is it evocation wizard, dragon sorcerer, Eldritch blast warlock, warlock3/dragon sorcerer 17, or any other MC?

Deleted
2017-01-25, 03:51 PM
At-Will: Warlock

Daily: Evocation Wizard hedges out Sorcerer.

(Just make straight classes, no need for multiclassing. By terms of raw numbers and all that... If you start getting too wacky your DM may or will drop rocks on you)

Sir cryosin
2017-01-25, 04:08 PM
My DM don't care we roll stats so must of a group PC's are stronger then standard array groups. Wouldn't a warlock3 sorcerer 17 with empower and quicken meta magic. Eldritch blast with a scorching Ray quicken with hex up. Not make a good blasting. Add on a wand of war mage of+x to give every blast and ray a +x to attacks and damage.

coredump
2017-01-25, 05:46 PM
I would think Evocation18/warlock2.

Cast all magic Missiles.

According to the rules, a lvl10+ evo wizard will do D4+6 damage with each missile.

I can get Wizard cantrips to be 'cleric cantrips' or "warlock cantrips' (arcane cleric or Tomelock)
Is there anyway to get a warlock cantrip to count as a wizard cantrip? I can't think of any.

RulesJD
2017-01-25, 06:08 PM
None of the Above, at least in theory

Correct answer is Sun Soul Monk/Warlock 1:

Levels 1-3 = Radiant Bolt + 1 Ki = 3 Attacks at 1d4+3+1d6 = 9x3 = 27 damage

Level 4 = 1d4+4+1d6 = 10x3 = 30 damage

Level 5-10 = 1d6+5(dex bonus)+1d6 = 12x4 = 48 damage

Levels 11+ = 1d8+5+1d6 = 13x4 = 52 damage

For comparison, a Warlock is only pumping out

Levels 1-3 = 1d10+3+1d6 = 13 damage

levels 5-10 = 1d10+5+1d6 = 14*2 = 28 damage

Levels 11+ = 1d10+5+1d6 = 14*3 = 42 damage

Zene
2017-01-25, 06:10 PM
I know it's a JC ruling. But that Evo wizard thing is so at odds with the rest of how spellcasting works, and relies on such a questionable reading of the RAW, that I wouldn't count on many DM's to allow it (despite it being JC). Also I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up getting reversed.

But if you do want to take that risk and exploit it, you probably want to do something like Evo 10/Sorc 10, so you can Quicken MM and Fire Bolt every turn, right?

Edit: Unless you've got your eyes on the AOE blasting prize, the 9th-level Meteor Swarm. In that case, the answer is probably straight-classing Sorcerer, Wizard, or Arcana Cleric to 17, depending on personal preference/taste.

Drackolus
2017-01-25, 07:02 PM
Unpopular opinion: fire draconic sorcerer. You get mod to damage sooner then an evocation wizard, and empower is stronger than any option evokers get until 14, and even then... You're also tougher as an added bonus.
You miss out on some good spells, but you still get all the best damaging spells. And empower works on all of them.
A level 14 feature sees far too little use over the course of the campaign to really count. In most cases, the earlier you get a feature, the better it is. Evocation wizards don't even get a real boost to damage until level TEN. That's a pretty darn high level.
Just don't convert sorcery points into spells. Ever. It is always a bad return.
You still get awesome utility like hypnotic pattern, haste, misty step, and suggestion.

Spectre9000
2017-01-25, 07:39 PM
I would say Warlock 5/Sorcerer 13/Fighter 2.

You have Warlock 5 to get 2 3rd level spell slots on a short rest, which convert to 4 spell points, which means you get 2 quickens per short rest. You take Fighter 2 for Action Surge to fire 3 spells in one turn.

So... You'll be Eldritch Blast as your Action, Quicken Eldritch Blast as Bonus Action, and Eldritch Blast again as a second Action once per short rest. Combats typically don't last that long, and 13 Sorcery Points plus 4 per short rest, means you can quicken 10 times (given two short rests) a day, which directly means 10 rounds of quickened spells, which is typically going to be plenty. If you throw in Action Surge to count as a quicken, that rises to 13 rounds of quickened spells.

All this is to say you'll be doing a pretty sustained 2x4x(1D10+1D6+5) = 112 Damage per Round, with access to 7th level spells, armor, a self heal, and at will invocations.

8wGremlin
2017-01-25, 08:33 PM

But you can't be a Sun Soul Monk until monk level 3.
So would that be Monk 3/Warlock 1 to start that off?

Plus get Wand of the War mage, or better still, a Rod of the pact keeper

RulesJD
2017-01-25, 08:54 PM
But you can't be a Sun Soul Monk until monk level 3.
So would that be Monk 3/Warlock 1 to start that off?

Plus get Wand of the War mage, or better still, a Rod of the pact keeper

Yeah I realized that after I posted, but you're correct. And of course magic items will throw this off.

Vogonjeltz
2017-01-25, 08:58 PM

Fighter could output 8d6+45 at that level (72 damage).

More if they have the right fighting style and or a magic weapon (which they probably would)

RulesJD
2017-01-25, 09:29 PM
Fighter could output 8d6+45 at that level (72 damage).

More if they have the right fighting style and or a magic weapon (which they probably would)

.....not really sure why you posted that. But uh...*points at the post title*

A Fighter using a Greatsword isn't a Blaster.

Foxhound438
2017-01-26, 12:27 AM

and ultimately the two have identical damage of 56 at level 18-20

In any case, for single target, probably sorlock. quickened eldritch blast with hex up is pretty devastating at any level you use it.

For area damage, I feel there's a lot of wiggle room. Early on, in a world with lots of short rests, a light cleric's channel divinity has damage better than shatter with a lot more area affected, and they do get good old fireball. Later on they even get to force disad on saves to all their relevant spells, which can maybe keep up nicely in damage, though I'd have to do an in-depth number crunch to really give a definitive answer as to whether disad on saves is better than just better high level spells (it really is a shame that cleric doesn't get sunbeam or sunburst).

Foxhound438
2017-01-26, 12:36 AM
Yeah I realized that after I posted, but you're correct. And of course magic items will throw this off.

fun fact: wand of the war mage applies to all spell attack rolls, even the ones without having to cast a spell. So totally legit usable for SS monk.

Kileonhardt
2017-01-26, 01:59 AM

Not going to lie, I wasn't even interested in making a blaster right now but reading this in here makes me want to do it. That and I've always wanted to play a 5e monk but haven't had the chance yet. Also slinging radiant bolts just seems like fun to me, even if it's not super high damage without hex on.

Dimers
2017-01-26, 02:58 AM
A much more versatile, much longer-range blast is "better", to my way of thinking, than one that deals slightly more damage. Sun Soul's lasers have 30' range and no control. A level 5 warlock's eldritch blasts can fire to 300' (600', with Spell Sniper) and push 10' on every hit while doing equal damage per shot. Add in War Caster and you can blast when someone tries to get away from you; add in PAM and a quarterstaff, and you can do it when someone tries to get close to you.

I propose fighter 2 / warlock 5 / sorcerer 13. Yeah, it misses out on the highest-level spells. But it gets Close Quarters Shooter style for +1 to hit and disadvantage-free eldritch blast in melee; it gets Action Surge once per rest; it gets hex, Agonizing Blast, Eldritch Spear and Repelling Blast; it gets three kinds of metamagic; it gets enough spellpower to fire off eight (or twelve) shots a round pretty much all day long; and if you feel like spending your slots on something besides sorcpoints, it also gets seventh-level spells. A vuman can fit in two Charisma bumps, War Caster, Polearm Master and Spell Sniper before 20th level. Cantrips and skills cover your other pillars, heavy armor takes care of defense, and there's no level where you underperform on offense. That's a damn fine blaster.

Rhaegar14
2017-01-26, 03:59 AM
Really, it depends on what you want to do. "Blasting" is a pretty wide category. If you want single target, especially at-will, you can't go wrong with Warlock.

But nobody here has thus far mentioned the value of Sculpt Spell as an Evocation Wizard. If you want to do tons of AoE damage, from 2nd level an Evoker can drop spells on top of his party members without harming them. The closest comparable ability is Sorcerer's Careful Spell metamagic, and that has both opportunity and Sorcery Point cost, only to be strictly inferior; all it gives you is that your party members automatically make their saves.

If you want to be tossing around explosions, not worrying about your melee allies getting caught in the blast is immensely helpful.

jas61292
2017-01-26, 10:49 AM
Really, it depends on what you want to do. "Blasting" is a pretty wide category. If you want single target, especially at-will, you can't go wrong with Warlock.

This is the key point. If you are cool with single target stuff, warlock is king, at least for at will damage. However, I personally do not consider that blasting at all. Blasting to me requires there to be a blast. An explosion. Or some other area of effect. Warlock might dish or some nice concentrated damage, but when it comes to making things go boom, they are not very good at all.

Personally I recommend Evocation Wizard. It is by far the most focused on this, and at higher levels can put out blasts that no one is coming close to matching.

Zene
2017-01-26, 11:23 AM
Sorcerer's Careful Spell metamagic, and that has both opportunity and Sorcery Point cost, only to be strictly inferior

Well, not quite strictly inferior. Sculpt only works on Evo spells, whereas Careful works on any ... opening up possibilities like, for example, Careful Web. Also, they both have opportunity costs; to get Sculpt Spell, you're passing on the other Wizard sub-classes.

That said, yeah if AOE blasting's your aim, Sculpt is better than Careful.

Kobard
2017-01-26, 11:26 AM
Yeah, there are different ways "to blaster" depending upon your preferred tool set and playstyle. DPR should not be the sole metric for making the questionable "best" blaster. I would rather play alongside an "effective," if not tactical, blaster than simply the one optimized for DPR.

Mutazoia
2017-01-26, 11:27 AM
can'.....resist.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V268Qk6-xsw

jaappleton
2017-01-26, 11:32 AM
Assassin 3 / Tempest Cleric 2 / Sorcerer 15

Twinned Chromatic Orb a surprised enemy.

Aside from niche builds?

Tempest Theurge Wizard. I've played one. Entire fights were ended with one spell of mine.

Focused on Cantrips?

Undying Light Warlock 2 / Fire Dragon Sorcerer 18, Quickening EB and having double charisma to Fire damage spells as backup

LordFluffy
2017-01-26, 11:33 AM
So how do you make the best blaster? Is it evocation wizard, dragon sorcerer, Eldritch blast warlock, warlock3/dragon sorcerer 17, or any other MC?The one Han Solo carries.

Always loved that one.

Mikey P
2017-01-26, 12:24 PM
I'm currently playing a Sorlock, Warlock of the Undying Light Level 3 / Favored Soul Sorcerer 6 and a CHA 20

(I just made it to Sorcerer 6 at the end of the last session, so I haven't been in combat with my extra attack yet!)

With Agonizing Blast and Radiant Soul adding CHA (+5) to Fire, Radiant and EB...

If I'm working ranged, I open with Hex and a EB, 2d10+10 + 2d6

On the rounds following, I Quicken Scorching Ray for 3x2d6+5, then EB again.

At a cost of a 2nd level spell slot and 2 sorcery points per turn, so after the fourth round, I'll need to burn a bonus action to generate a few more sorcery points. If the fight is short, I might get a full recharge out of a couple of short rests. trading Warlock slots for sorcery points.

Did I mention I'm AC 20 in with fancy armor a shield and shillelagh?
I love this character... sniff

jaappleton
2017-01-26, 12:27 PM
Not going to lie, I wasn't even interested in making a blaster right now but reading this in here makes me want to do it. That and I've always wanted to play a 5e monk but haven't had the chance yet. Also slinging radiant bolts just seems like fun to me, even if it's not super high damage without hex on.

If you can convince your DM that Radiant Sun Bolt is a spell (It technically isn't, despite being a SPELL ATTACK ROLL), you can pick Undying Light Warlock and add your Charisma modifier to the damage rolls of RSB.

Uzgul
2017-01-26, 01:54 PM
If UA is allowed, evocation wizard 2 / twilight druid X is quit nice.
Sculpt spell + harvest scythe can create some pretty devastating AoEs.
Though this comes at the price of a spell list not made for blasting.

On a site note: Due to the magic missile ruling (roll damage once and apply same damage to all targets), harvest scythe + magic missile is so broken, that no sane DM should allow it. Each missile could deal up to 1d4+9d10+1 damage. Using a 9th level slot, would result in an average of 583 damage with no chance to miss and no save.

Kileonhardt
2017-01-26, 02:56 PM
If you can convince your DM that Radiant Sun Bolt is a spell (It technically isn't, despite being a SPELL ATTACK ROLL), you can pick Undying Light Warlock and add your Charisma modifier to the damage rolls of RSB.

I actually sent that question to him right after posting but then decided that dex, con, wis and cha was way too MAD for me to really care.

Miffles
2017-01-26, 10:29 PM
There all pretty equal

jaappleton
2017-01-26, 10:31 PM
I actually sent that question to him right after posting but then decided that dex, con, wis and cha was way too MAD for me to really care.

Yeah, it only works if you rolled some nice stats. Point buy? Don't bother even thinking about it, really.

Vogonjeltz
2017-01-27, 02:50 AM
.....not really sure why you posted that. But uh...*points at the post title*

A Fighter using a Greatsword isn't a Blaster.

In MMORPG, MUD, and RPG parlance a "Blaster" is your damage dealers.

In the same way that "Tank" and "Healer" are indicative of broad roles, the words don't reflect any actual methodology.

For an example, the Bounty Hunter in the star wars MMORPG is a ranged combatant, but they're a tank.

So, if the OP meant to ask what's the best ranged damage, that would still be a Fighter using a Heavy Crossbow with Crossbow Expert or Longbow, and Sharpshooter.

Uzgul
2017-01-27, 04:46 AM

In the same way that "Tank" and "Healer" are indicative of broad roles, the words don't reflect any actual methodology.

For an example, the Bounty Hunter in the star wars MMORPG is a ranged combatant, but they're a tank.

So, if the OP meant to ask what's the best ranged damage, that would still be a Fighter using a Heavy Crossbow with Crossbow Expert or Longbow, and Sharpshooter.

"Blaster" in DnD usually refers to magic users blowing enemies up with high burst damage and AoE spells.

If OP meant to ask for "best damage dealer", he would have asked for that (or best dpr).
Though I can see, where the confusion comes from, if people use "blaster" for "dps" in some other games.

RulesJD
2017-01-27, 12:15 PM

I mean I've played my share of MMORPGs and RPGs, never once heard of a melee DPS class called a "Blaster". Never. Usually "Striker", "DPS, or some variation. "Blaster" is well known to mean a ranged spell damage dealer.

Quoxis
2017-01-27, 01:04 PM
Add in War Caster and you can blast when someone tries to get away from you; add in PAM and a quarterstaff, and you can do it when someone tries to get close to you.

I thought it had been errata'd/sage-advised that PAM opportunity attacks are restricted to attacks with the weapon the feat refers to. Don't have any sources though.

Dimers
2017-01-28, 03:52 AM
I thought it had been errata'd/sage-advised that PAM opportunity attacks are restricted to attacks with the weapon the feat refers to. Don't have any sources though.

Quite possible. I'm averse to social media, so ... no opportunity to find out.

Can anybody enlighten us?

Cybren
2017-01-28, 04:38 AM
I mean I've played my share of MMORPGs and RPGs, never once heard of a melee DPS class called a "Blaster". Never. Usually "Striker", "DPS, or some variation. "Blaster" is well known to mean a ranged spell damage dealer.
Who said anything about melee???? The very quote in your post is about a ranged fighter

jaappleton
2017-01-28, 08:39 AM
Quite possible. I'm averse to social media, so ... no opportunity to find out.

Can anybody enlighten us?

Only think I could find was that the bonus action attack uses the same modifier as the first attack. So Quarterstaff + Shillelagh + Polearm Master uses Wisdom for everything.

Ruebin Rybnik
2017-04-17, 04:39 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, so if i make any mistakes please let me know.
As for what is the best blaster i would say sorcerer draconic origin 6/ warlock Hexblade 14 if UA is allowed.

Sorcerer 6 gets you:+CHA to spell dmg of draconic origins element, and the ability to quicken to cast as bonus action.
Warlock 14 Hexblade get you; EB (1d10 force dmg), +CHA dmg, +10 ft push, + Hex dmg (1d6), + PROF dmg

1 round w/ Hex and Hexblade curse active:
EB [6(1d10)+5(cha)+5(cha)+6(prof)+4(hex)] * 4= 104 dmg, use quickened to cast again= 208 per round consistently. Plus push up to 80 ft.

Assumptions: 20 CHA by lvl 20, avg used for die rolls, Hex and Hexblade curse already active.
Minor deviations:
Used warlock pack from UA, not all DM will allow.
Used Ethereal Dragon(Force) for Origin. while not in the provided list not technically against RAW.

Trampaige
2017-04-17, 07:49 AM
Only think I could find was that the bonus action attack uses the same modifier as the first attack. So Quarterstaff + Shillelagh + Polearm Master uses Wisdom for everything.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/09/19/war-caster-feat/

Easy peasy to look up.

Not a valid combo.

Arenabait
2017-04-17, 10:14 AM
Rolls up sleeves

Cracks knuckles

Okay! Let's do this!

Here's my two cents:
Starting out, levels will have be Warlock 2, Fighter 2, Sorcerer 16 (I'm sure you can see where this is going)

We'll assume hex is up this round as well.

MAIN ACTION: Cast eldritch blast, (empowered of course!)

4d6 Eldritch Blast+4d6 Hex+20 Agonizing blast= 48 Average w/out empowered factored in.

BONUS ACTION: Quickened Cast Eldritch blast (Empowered! Who'd've thunk!?)

4d6 Eldritch Blast+4d6 Hex+20 Agonizing blast= 48 Average w/out empowered factored in.

Action Surge: Eldritch blaaaaaaaaast!!! (Get this, Empowered!!!)

TOTAL: All this for a total of 144 average damage per round, (Probably quite a bit more because of empowered! I didn't even factor it in because that's too much math) up to twice per short rest, probably burning spell slots to turn into sorcery points before/after (Or even during) every fight if you want to keep this up, as it burns 5 sorcery points per round and you only have 16.

Specter
2017-04-17, 10:43 AM
I guess you need to aim for a combination of at-will blasting and nova blasting. Warlock2/Sorcerer18 is as good as it gets as far as I know. You can be quickening Fireballs as long as you got slots and points, and after that you still got some pumped Eldritch Blast to go all day.

GoblinGuy
2018-08-21, 12:27 PM
I'm loving playing a tempest cleric. I get to maximize my lightning/thunder damage once per long rest, which is awesome. At level 18, it is possible to do 10d10 lightning damage per turn for 10-ish turns, and maximize your damage for 3 turns. Just cast call lightning in a thunderstorm while another caster has cast control weather to make that thunderstorm. That's 300+ damage with one 9th level spell casting.

sophontteks
2018-08-21, 12:51 PM
Tempest cleric has maxmize spell for every encounter.
Sorcerers with empower also dish it out. Empower is easy to underestimate but its giving a ton of dps to an AOE.

Evo wizards can sculpt but they aren't competitive in the actual damage dealt. Some matter of what you prefer here.

solidork
2018-08-21, 01:52 PM
I'm loving playing a tempest cleric. I get to maximize my lightning/thunder damage once per long rest, which is awesome.

Channel Divinity actually recharges on a short rest.

sophontteks
2018-08-21, 02:50 PM
Channel Divinity actually recharges on a short rest.
Yep, thats where I was going with it too. I should say practically every encounter. The whole short rest thing really puts tempests on the map.

EvilAnagram
2018-08-21, 02:53 PM
If you're willing to blow your load on a single battle, the Sorcerer is absolutely ridiculous. Any archetype, really.

Quicken Sunbeam, then use your action to use Sunbeam.

Next turn, Cone of Cold and Sunbeam.

It's silly. At level 11 (where my current character is) you can unleash a disgusting amount of damage in an enormous area.

sophontteks
2018-08-21, 02:56 PM
If you're willing to blow your load on a single battle, the Sorcerer is absolutely ridiculous. Any archetype, really.

Quicken Sunbeam, then use your action to use Sunbeam.

It's silly. At level 11 (where my current character is) you can unleash a disgusting amount of damage in an enormous area.
I'm afraid this isn't actually legal. Bonus action spells can only be followed up by a cantrip. Unless I'm missing something. The bonus action spell rules are kind of strange.

EvilAnagram
2018-08-21, 03:01 PM
I'm afraid this isn't actually legal. Bonus action spells can only be followed up by a cantrip. Unless I'm missing something. The bonus action spell rules are kind of strange.

You aren't casting Sunbeam each time. Casting the spell allows you to use your action to project a beam of light as long as you maintain concentration. You cast it once, then get to use that action over and over.

sophontteks
2018-08-21, 03:03 PM
You aren't casting Sunbeam each time. Casting the spell allows you to use your action to project a beam of light as long as you maintain concentration. You cast it once, then get to use that action over and over.
Oooh, I get what your saying now. I thought you were listing off different combinations but your explaining your actions each turn in a single encounter. I totally misread. Thanks for clarifying.

Aett_Thorn
2018-08-21, 03:16 PM
Thread necro, ahoy!

EvilAnagram
2018-08-21, 03:39 PM
Thread necro, ahoy!

Good spot check!

sophontteks
2018-08-21, 03:53 PM
I swear I saw this thread active for a couple days. Dang.

samcifer
2018-08-21, 03:56 PM
At-Will: Warlock

Daily: Evocation Wizard hedges out Sorcerer.

(Just make straight classes, no need for multiclassing. By terms of raw numbers and all that... If you start getting too wacky your DM may or will drop rocks on you)

I played both sorc and evo wizard and have to say that the +INT dmg. to any evo spell along with the sculpt spell makes the most effective wizard overall as well as the most ally-friendly one. You can use all the large aoe spells you want without harming your allies.

Dalebert
2018-08-21, 07:06 PM
Just don't convert sorcery points into spells. Ever. It is always a bad return.

Can I just 2nd this? It's baffling when I see it. If you ever do this, then you should have just played a wizard to begin with.

EvilAnagram
2018-08-21, 08:33 PM
Can I just 2nd this? It's baffling when I see it. If you ever do this, then you should have just played a wizard to begin with.

Meh. I've made use of this towards the end of an adventuring day when I had all my first level slots but really just needed a fourth level slot. Sickening Radiance can win a battle where a quickened Chromatic Orb cannot.