PDA

View Full Version : Would there be a way to impliment nen into 5th edition?

johnswiftwood
2017-01-25, 06:22 PM
I want to run a hunter x hunter campaign with a familiar system

DragonSorcererX
2017-01-25, 07:26 PM
I want to run a hunter x hunter campaign with a familiar system

Monk? Any spellcasting class refluffed?

johnswiftwood
2017-01-25, 07:43 PM
Monk? Any spellcasting class refluffed?

monk maybe, but really i want people to be able to come up with abilities.

Larpus
2017-01-26, 12:49 PM
If you want to give people the freedom of designing their nen abilities, I'm afraid you'll have to tinker so much you'll be pretty much writing a system from the ground up.

For that end I would probably suggest something like Mutants and Masterminds which is a system designed to give you building blocks with which you make your character's powers, it's a pretty complex system to learn, but surprisingly system to actually play..

If you want something more D&D-y, Grod has actually made a bunch of 3.P classes in the M&M system (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279503-D-amp-D-in-M-amp-M-a-new-approach-to-rebalancing-3-5-PF), so you can have that as a basis.

johnswiftwood
2017-01-26, 01:52 PM
If you want to give people the freedom of designing their nen abilities, I'm afraid you'll have to tinker so much you'll be pretty much writing a system from the ground up.

For that end I would probably suggest something like Mutants and Masterminds which is a system designed to give you building blocks with which you make your character's powers, it's a pretty complex system to learn, but surprisingly system to actually play..

If you want something more D&D-y, Grod has actually made a bunch of 3.P classes in the M&M system (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279503-D-amp-D-in-M-amp-M-a-new-approach-to-rebalancing-3-5-PF), so you can have that as a basis.

Mutants and masterminds is not a system im familliar with

ShikomeKidoMi
2017-01-27, 06:59 AM
Nen is way too flexible for Dungeons and Dragons, I'm afraid. You'd need something like GURPS or Champions or maybe Mutants and Masterminds.

It has the advantage of being a d20 system that's rooted in heavily modified D&D 3rd edition, so it might be easier to pick up than the others I mentioned.

Larpus
2017-01-27, 09:02 AM

It plays much like 3.P, playing is fairly straight-forward and easy if you're used to RPGs, with only the injuries system requiring some wrapping your head around.

It might also be possible to add it to 5e with much less effort than modding 5e fro that if you'd like normal 5e classes + nen abilities, dunno if that's your goal.

The hard part, however, is the designing powers part, which is so open ended and permissive that it's poorly worded and it's actually designed to allow on a mechanics level what is commonly referred to as "bathroom hero", which basically involves having a ridiculously large radius for a precise sense and an equally large area of indirect attack, basically allowing a character to sit on his toilet all day and remotely deal with enemies.

Obviously, it also specifically mentions that the DM has total reign on what flies and what doesn't, character creation is actually a process that shall be handled closely between DM and players.

If you do end up going with it, make sure to keep this to mind and share with your players: do not read the power effects before thinking of powers, it'll only make everyone more confused and make everything look limited, instead you should think of the full extent of effects desired from the power and then either hit the books or ask in forums how to build such power.

johnswiftwood
2017-01-27, 12:24 PM
It plays much like 3.P, playing is fairly straight-forward and easy if you're used to RPGs, with only the injuries system requiring some wrapping your head around.

It might also be possible to add it to 5e with much less effort than modding 5e fro that if you'd like normal 5e classes + nen abilities, dunno if that's your goal.

The hard part, however, is the designing powers part, which is so open ended and permissive that it's poorly worded and it's actually designed to allow on a mechanics level what is commonly referred to as "bathroom hero", which basically involves having a ridiculously large radius for a precise sense and an equally large area of indirect attack, basically allowing a character to sit on his toilet all day and remotely deal with enemies.

Obviously, it also specifically mentions that the DM has total reign on what flies and what doesn't, character creation is actually a process that shall be handled closely between DM and players.

If you do end up going with it, make sure to keep this to mind and share with your players: do not read the power effects before thinking of powers, it'll only make everyone more confused and make everything look limited, instead you should think of the full extent of effects desired from the power and then either hit the books or ask in forums how to build such power.

The bathroom hero actually sounds like it could be a hxh cdharacter.