PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Monk (draft) PEACH please!

Amphimir Míriel
2007-07-20, 12:54 PM
Psychic Monk
{table=head]Level|
BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|
Special|Unarmed Damage|AC Bonus|Speed bonus|Power Points per Day|Powers Known|Max. Power Level Known

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Bonus Feat, Unarmed Strike|1d6|+0|+0|-|-|-

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Bonus Feat, Psionics, Evasion|1d6|+0|+0|1|1|1st

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Fast Movement|1d6|+0|+10|2|2|1st

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Ki Strike (magic)|1d8|+0|+10|4|3|1st

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Purity of Body|1d8|+1|+10|5|3|1st

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|Bonus Feat|1d8|+1|+20|7|4|2nd

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5||1d8|+1|+20|11|5|2nd

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+6|
+6||1d10|+1|+30|15|6|2nd

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+6|
+6|Improved Evasion|1d10|+1|+30|19|6|2nd

10th|
+7/+1|
+3|
+7|
+7|Ki Strike (lawful)|1d10|+2|+30|23|7|3rd

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+7|
+7|Diamond Body|1d10|+2|+30|29|8|3rd

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8||2d6|+2|+40|36|9|3rd

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|Diamond Soul|2d6|+2|+40|43|9|3rd

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+9|
+9||2d6|+2|+40|51|10|4th

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+9|
+9||2d6|+3|+50|59|11|4th

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|Ki Strike (adamantine)|2d8|+3|+50|69|12|4th

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|Timeless Body|2d8|+3|+50|80|12|5th

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+11||2d8|+3|+60|91|13|5th

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+1||2d8|+3|+60|103|14|6th

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+12|Perfect Self|2d10|+4|+60|115|15|6th[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the monk.

Psionic abilities:
Power Points/Day: A monk’s ability to manifest powers is limited by the power points he has available. His base daily allotment of power points is given on Table: The Monk. In addition, he receives bonus power points per day if he has a high Wisdom score (see Table: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Power Points). His race may also provide bonus power points per day, as may certain feats and items. A 1st-level monk gains no power points for his class level, but he gains bonus power points (if he is entitled to any), and can manifest the single power he knows with those power points.

Powers Known: At second level, monk gains one monk power of your choice. Each time he achieves a new level, he unlocks the knowledge of a new power.
Choose the powers known from the psychic warrior power list. (Exception: The feats Expanded Knowledge and Epic Expanded Knowledge do allow a monk to learn powers from the lists of other classes.) A monk can manifest any power that has a power point cost equal to or lower than his manifester level.
The total number of powers a monk can manifest in a day is limited only by his daily power points.
A monk simply knows his powers; they are ingrained in his mind. He does not need to prepare them (in the way that some spellcasters prepare their spells), though he must get a good night’s sleep each day to regain all his spent power points.
The Difficulty Class for saving throws against monk powers is 10 + the power’s level + the monk’s Wisdom modifier.

Maximum Power Level Known: At second level, monk gains the ability to learn 1st-level powers. As he attains higher levels, he may gain the ability to master more complex powers.
To learn or manifest a power, a monk must have a Wisdom score of at least 10 + the power’s level.

Regular monkish abilities:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Monks are proficient with club, crossbow (light or heavy), dagger, handaxe, javelin, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, siangham, and sling. Monks are not proficient with any armor or shields. When wearing armor, using a shield, or carrying a medium or heavy load, a monk loses her AC bonus, as well as her fast movement ability.

AC Bonus (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five monk levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level).
These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.

Unarmed Strike: At 1st level, a monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A monk’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk may even make unarmed strikes with her hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed. A monk may thus apply her full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all her unarmed strikes.
Usually a monk’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but she can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on her attack roll. She has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.
A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.
A monk also deals more damage with her unarmed strikes than a normal person would, as shown on Table: The Monk. The unarmed damage on Table: The Monk is for Medium monks. A Small monk deals less damage than the amount given there with her unarmed attacks, while a Large monk deals more damage; see Table: Small or Large Monk Unarmed Damage. (table ommited, it is the same as the one in the SRD)

Bonus Feat: At 1st level, a monk may select either Improved Grapple or Stunning Fist as a bonus feat. At 2nd level, she may select either Combat Reflexes or Deflect Arrows as a bonus feat. At 6th level, she may select either Improved Disarm or Improved Trip as a bonus feat. A monk need not have any of the prerequisites normally required for these feats to select them.

Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level or higher if a monk makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a monk is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Fast Movement (Ex): At 3rd level, a monk gains an enhancement bonus to her speed, as shown on Table: The Monk. A monk in armor or carrying a medium or heavy load loses this extra speed.

Ki Strike (Su): At 4th level, a monk’s unarmed attacks are empowered with ki. Her unarmed attacks are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction. Ki strike improves with the character’s monk level. At 10th level, her unarmed attacks are also treated as lawful weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction. At 16th level, her unarmed attacks are treated as adamantine weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction and bypassing hardness.

Purity of Body (Ex): At 5th level, a monk gains immunity to all diseases except for supernatural and magical diseases.

Improved Evasion (Ex): At 9th level, a monk’s evasion ability improves. She still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth she takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Diamond Body (Su): At 11th level, a monk gains immunity to poisons of all kinds.

Diamond Soul (Ex): At 13th level, a monk gains spell resistance equal to her current monk level + 10. In order to affect the monk with a spell, a spellcaster must get a result on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) that equals or exceeds the monk’s spell resistance.

Timeless Body (Ex): Upon attaining 17th level, a monk no longer takes penalties to her ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that she has already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the monk still dies of old age when her time is up.

Perfect Self: At 20th level, a monk becomes a magical creature. She is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the monk’s creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects. Additionally, the monk gains damage reduction 10/magic, which allows her to ignore the first 10 points of damage from any attack made by a nonmagical weapon or by any natural attack made by a creature that doesn’t have similar damage reduction. Unlike other outsiders, the monk can still be brought back from the dead as if she were a member of her previous creature type.

Ex-MonksA monk who becomes nonlawful cannot gain new levels as a monk but retains all monk abilities.
Like a member of any other class, a monk may be a multiclass character, but multiclass monks face a special restriction. A monk who gains a new class or (if already multiclass) raises another class by a level may never again raise her monk level, though she retains all her monk abilities.

This modification was made for a friend's campaign setting where the monk tradition is intimately linked with the mental powers tradition. I took out Flurry of Blows and most of the fluff class features that did not fit his campaign world and added psionic warrior powers at roughly 3/4 progression.

We are still reviewing the psionic warrior power list to take out powers that do not fit the monk thematic (like Bite of the Wolf) or that need modifying (changing Metaphysical Claw into Metaphysical Fist)

Again, thanks to everyone for their comments.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-20, 01:06 PM
It's not bad, but there are too many dead levels for my taste. Especially when you consider the fact that the Monk is one of only two core classes without dead levels, I think that this is an odd & troubling design issue. I can't speak authoritatively about psionics, but class balance is something I strive for, & this class is rather... choppy.

Amphimir Míriel
2007-07-20, 01:31 PM
It's not bad, but there are too many dead levels for my taste. Especially when you consider the fact that the Monk is one of only two core classes without dead levels, I think that this is an odd & troubling design issue. I can't speak authoritatively about psionics, but class balance is something I strive for, & this class is rather... choppy.

You are probably right, as I mentioned, this is a first draft, and one of the things I wanted to do was to take out some of the "useless" monk abilities (especially if they can be replaced by a psionic power, like Catfall substituting Slow Fall)

Koji
2007-07-20, 01:36 PM
When this is ironed out, I will say that this class is IT for all the Naruto fanboys out there.

D Knight
2007-07-20, 02:41 PM
hey it looks great but there are somethings u took out that could have stayed like abundent step,tongue of the moon and sun, and maybe furry of blows.just rework them like abundent step there are powers that allow u to travle between 2 pt fast. tongue of the moon and sun could be changed to mind of moon and sun: a monk lv 17 or higher can telapathicly communicat with any sennicet creatures. as and over all it looks great and i can not wait to play it when its all ironed out.:smallsmile:

Amphimir Míriel
2007-07-20, 04:03 PM
hey it looks great but there are somethings u took out that could have stayed like abundent step,tongue of the moon and sun, and maybe furry of blows.just rework them like abundent step there are powers that allow u to travle between 2 pt fast. tongue of the moon and sun could be changed to mind of moon and sun: a monk lv 17 or higher can telapathicly communicat with any sennicet creatures. as and over all it looks great and i can not wait to play it when its all ironed out.:smallsmile:

As mentioned above, the reason I took out abilities like Abundant Step and Tongue of the Sun and the Moon is because there are a couple of psionic powers that can reasonably substitute them:

Abundant Step -> Dimension Swap, Dimension Slide or Psionic Dimension Door (depending on level)

Tongue of the Sun and the Moon -> Mindlink (not on Psychic Warrior list, but we are planning to add it to the Psychic Monk list)

And the reason I took out Flurry of Blows was for balance sake, and also because it is widely considered that it is an ability that is incompatible with the mobility skills of the monk. However there are psionic powers that more than compensate on this lost ability: Expansion, Painful Strike, Empathic Feedback, Truevenom... the list is quite large

Lord Iames Osari
2007-07-20, 05:26 PM
You don't need to revise the claw-related powers. All of them have counterparts that can apply to manufactured weapons, and a monk's unarmed strike counts as both a natural weapon and a manufactured weapon.

Also, you may want to take a look at my Monk Redux (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2797899&postcount=7), my own Psychic Monk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2797906&postcount=8), and the associated styles (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2800673&postcount=22) and powers (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2800824&postcount=28).

All in all, I think your attempt is a bit on the weak side, but maybe that's just me.