PDA

View Full Version : Using the gate spell to summon

montoya
2017-01-25, 09:02 PM
We are currently in a high level campaign thats been going on for a few years now started lvl 1 now 20. I have have a CG cleric of Tempus and I was wondering if I could use gate to summon any creature regardless of alignment? For instance could I summon a pit fiend even though I am CG? Would that cause an alignment shift? Or is it just a matter of RPing it out?

ayvango
2017-01-25, 09:07 PM
bump you caster level to 40, summon any creature of 80th level and the question will be solved forever with emergent ban for the summoning part of the gate spell.

montoya
2017-01-25, 09:15 PM
Its been used on us.

Necroticplague
2017-01-25, 09:27 PM
1. You don't Summon things with Gate, you Call them. Big difference.
2. No.

Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells

A cleric can’t cast spells of an alignment opposed to his own or his deity’s (if he has one). Spells associated with particular alignments are indicated by the chaos, evil, good, and law descriptors in their spell descriptions.

Note: When you use a calling spell such as gate to call an air, chaotic, earth, evil, fire, good, lawful, or water creature, it becomes a spell of that type.
So, Calling a Pit Fiend would make Gate a [lawful][evil] spell, which Good or Chaotic clerics (or clerics of other alignments who's gods are either Good or Chaotic) are prohibited from casting.

Quertus
2017-01-25, 10:32 PM
Is it not also the case that a character cannot cast a spell with an alignment component opposed to a component of their alignment; i.e., no Chaotic spells for a lawful character, for example?

Necroticplague
2017-01-25, 10:57 PM
Is it not also the case that a character cannot cast a spell with an alignment component opposed to a component of their alignment; i.e., no Chaotic spells for a lawful character, for example?

No, only Clerics have that restriction.

montoya
2017-01-25, 11:01 PM
1. You don't Summon things with Gate, you Call them. Big difference.
2. No.

So, Calling a Pit Fiend would make Gate a [lawful][evil] spell, which Good or Chaotic clerics (or clerics of other alignments who's gods are either Good or Chaotic) are prohibited from casting.

I am CG could I call a LG creature?

Jack_Simth
2017-01-25, 11:04 PM

As a Sorcerer or Wizard, sure.

As a Cleric, you just can't (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/cleric.htm#chaoticEvilGoodandLawfulSpells):
A cleric can’t cast spells of an alignment opposed to his own or his deity’s (if he has one). Spells associated with particular alignments are indicated by the chaos, evil, good, and law descriptors in their spell descriptions.

Necroticplague
2017-01-25, 11:10 PM
You should word your questions more carefully. You're free to summon LG creatures. However, you are unable to summon any creature with the (Lawful) subtype. So you could Call an LG human paladin, no problem. However, you cannot call a Planetar, because that would make Gate a Lawful spell, which a Chaotic cleric (like yourself) can't cast.

Calthropstu
2017-01-25, 11:20 PM
You should word your questions more carefully. You're free to summon LG creatures. However, you are unable to summon any creature with the (Lawful) subtype. So you could Call an LG human paladin, no problem. However, you cannot call a Planetar, because that would make Gate a Lawful spell, which a Chaotic cleric (like yourself) can't cast.

Planetars are (any) good actually.
It is archons that he is prohibited from summoning.

montoya
2017-01-25, 11:24 PM
So as a CG cleric who worships a CN god I could summon or call CG CN and NG creatures only?

5ColouredWalker
2017-01-25, 11:44 PM
So as a CG cleric who worships a CN god I could summon or call CG CN and NG creatures only?

You can also summon true neutral creatures (Mostly Elementals.)

montoya
2017-01-25, 11:48 PM
I thought so, thank you very much.

Calthropstu
2017-01-26, 12:26 AM
I thought so, thank you very much.

The creature's alignment is irrelevant, it is the TYPE that is at issue. If you are using the Gate spell, you could use it to summon a Githyanki for example because it does not have the evil subtype, but it is an evil creature. I suppose you could even gate in a Bodak. An Efreeti is also on the table.

The only requirement is that it has to have the extraplanar trait and not have either the lawful or evil subtype.

montoya
2017-01-26, 12:40 AM
I did not actually realize that. Much like casting a lawful or evil spell.

Calthropstu
2017-01-26, 09:49 AM
I did not actually realize that. Much like casting a lawful or evil spell.

That is exactly why the restriction is there: summoning a creature of the lawful or evil subtype actually changes the type of the spell to lawful or evil... which a CG cleric is prohibited from casting.

montoya
2017-01-26, 06:45 PM
That is exactly why the restriction is there: summoning a creature of the lawful or evil subtype actually changes the type of the spell to lawful or evil... which a CG cleric is prohibited from casting.

So as long as a creature does not have a subtype of lawful or evil I can summon or call it? Even if their alignment is opposite of mine?

Jack_Simth
2017-01-26, 08:06 PM
So as long as a creature does not have a subtype of lawful or evil I can summon or call it? Even if their alignment is opposite of mine?

Technically, yes. Keep in mind, though, that as a Divine caster, your DM can get annoyed in the place of the deity if it 'makes sense' that it'd happen.

montoya
2017-01-26, 08:34 PM
I was asking because currently in our campaign our keep is under siege by demons and the forces of Bane (our DM got confused on demons and devils should have been devils) so I was considering calling a pit fiend since a demon is a devils sworn enemy. Just wasn't sure if it was allowed or if it "made sense".

Jack_Simth
2017-01-26, 08:35 PM
I was asking because currently in our campaign our keep is under siege by demons and the forces of Bane (our DM got confused on demons and devils should have been devils) so I was considering calling a pit fiend since a demon is a devils sworn enemy. Just wasn't sure if it was allowed or if it "made sense".

A Pit Fiend won't work, because it has the subtypes. Try Solars.

montoya
2017-01-26, 08:39 PM
Ah yes true. Thanks I'll take a look.