PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Fighter 2/Barbarian 20/Epic Barbarian 2 character

danielxcutter
2017-01-25, 09:07 PM
So, there's this webcomic I'm planning, and I intend to include an NPC Half-Orc Fighter 2/Barbarian 20/Epic Barbarian 2 character. I've heard about the Spirit Lion Totem ACF which exchanges Fast Movement with Pounce, but I don't recall the details. Also I'd like to a) give him some sort of hammer-like weapon, b) build him as a charger with the Cleave feat chain added, and c) make him so he isn't completely hosed if charging isn't viable.

Any advice, please?

danielxcutter
2017-01-26, 06:17 AM
Bump. Yes, I know that the OP was rather vague. I intend to remedy this.

So, a Half-Orc Fighter/Barbarian? If that sounds familiar, that's because Thog from Order of the Stick also has that build. However, part of the point of the character I'm aiming for is not being a Thog-expy. While there will be many likenesses, there will be many differences as well, in both build and personality.

Also, a key part of this guy's personality is perseverance*. This is different from determination*; although they do have similarities. Determination is Iron Heart Surging off a harmful effect; perseverance is absorbing blows with your body. This, incidentally, is one reason why I'd give this guy Channeled Rage instead of Steadfast Determination. The others are, because I wish to make him more Str-focused than Con-focused; because he's a Half-Orc and I like feats that emphasize that; and because literally punching someone out of his head sounds cooler(and funnier) than just shrugging it off.

That's it for now.

*If you don't get it, google "Undertale soul traits". :smallwink:

danielxcutter
2017-01-26, 05:59 PM
Bumping because nobody's answered the OP yet. :smallannoyed:

atemu1234
2017-01-26, 07:34 PM
Well, let's see, as far as epic goes, if epic spellcasting is on the table, you're already hosed.

Assuming that's not the case, you're probably best off first playing a Goliath. I hope LA buyoff works, because you're going to have to use those levels for useful stuff.

Are you 100% set on playing that particular build?

A Fighter 2 / Lion Totem Barbarian 2 / Warblade 20 would use the same number of levels but be much more versatile.

JoshuaZ
2017-01-26, 07:48 PM
Do you need to have everything statted out precisely according to the rules? One of the major advantages of OOTS is that the characters are only approximately statted which gives much more freedom of story telling.

danielxcutter
2017-01-26, 08:06 PM
Well, let's see, as far as epic goes, if epic spellcasting is on the table, you're already hosed.

It does exist, but there are several in-universe factors preventing the abuse of it, which includes one of the gods of magic sending a clerical hit team if you spam the Solar-Gate chain.

Assuming that's not the case, you're probably best off first playing a Goliath. I hope LA buyoff works, because you're going to have to use those levels for useful stuff.

LA buyoff is not on the table, or most stuff from Unearthed Arcana for that matter.

Are you 100% set on playing that particular build?

A Fighter 2 / Lion Totem Barbarian 2 / Warblade 20 would use the same number of levels but be much more versatile.

No, not completely, but ToB classes are not an option for this character, as his party leader is a multiclass martial adept build with Master of Nine. Psionics and Incarnum are also off the table for similar reasons.

Besides, party balance isn't too important. His adventuring party includes a Wizard/Druid/Mystic Theurge/Arcane Hierophant(who is also the only real spellcaster in the party) and an Elan Ranger/Psion/Slayer gish loosely based on the famous "King of Smack" build.

Do you need to have everything statted out precisely according to the rules? One of the major advantages of OOTS is that the characters are only approximately statted which gives much more freedom of story telling.

No, but guidelines are extremely useful. Also, I don't intend to minmax the characters, but I do think most people in the comic world would make at least semi-optimal builds.