PDA

View Full Version : Heaviest Material in 3.5

kitsunemeio
2017-01-26, 01:45 AM
Foot for foot, what's the heaviest material that's reasonable to get at lower levels? My DM and I have been looking thru books, threads, google, etc and have yet to find any relevant information. I'm looking to make a big ball of blank to use with a hulking hurler. It isn't always possible to carry around a boulder heavy enough in a dungeon.

flappeercraft
2017-01-26, 01:51 AM
Foot for foot, what's the heaviest material that's reasonable to get at lower levels? My DM and I have been looking thru books, threads, google, etc and have yet to find any relevant information. I'm looking to make a big ball of blank to use with a hulking hurler. It isn't always possible to carry around a boulder heavy enough in a dungeon.

Exactly how low level just so that we know your budget?

OldTrees1
2017-01-26, 01:51 AM
A rock. Not a boulder but a rock (say the size of an obese cat). You can get a rock for nearly free when still low enough level that you would loot the adamantine doors.

Thaneus
2017-01-26, 03:23 AM
Just to be sure:
You want to know which is the most dense material? Or which "item" itself is extremely heavy (disregarding its size)?

For dense: when using space adaption; a neutron star 10^12kg/cm^3 a full spoon would crush the martial plane thou
For raw weight: the burden of the gods of magic with all those wizards running loose

Uncle Pine
2017-01-26, 03:57 AM
Whatever you end up using, remember to strip razor blades all over it (except for the handles maybe, but then again there are no rules about accidentally cutting yourself with your own weapon unless you're trying to apply poison on it). The reason is that slashing improvised weapons deal twice the normal damage for their weight, so if you were trying to throw a dire badger (which is actually a reasonable weapon for a hulking hurler looking for a small projectile, as one can weigh up to 500 lb. but it's only 5- to 7-foot-long) you'd deal 5d6 damage, but throwing a dire badger donning a barding with armor razors (Undendark 65) you'd deal 8d6 damage instead.

GilesTheCleric
2017-01-26, 12:43 PM
Metal is the heaviest.

Most things in this game either don't state their density, or are the same as iron. Plus, things are usually priced by the pound when you're crafting them into something else, so their weight equals out regardless of what you make. So relative to iron/ steel:

Blended Quartz (AaEG): 2x
Byeshk (ECS): 1.5x
Densewood (ECS): Wood 2x
Entropium (AaEG): +X lbs
Alchemical Gold (MoF): 2x
Alchemical Platinum (MoF): 2x
Urdrukar (AaEG): "Heavier"

Fouredged Sword
2017-01-26, 12:53 PM
Your best bet is a lead ball. Lead is common and cheap enough that people made sling bullets out of it. That prices it at about 1sp for 5lbs of weight. A 50lb block of lead would be roughly 1gp.

Necroticplague
2017-01-26, 12:53 PM
Elemental Lodestone. A piece the size of a sling bullet weighs 50 pounds.

John Longarrow
2017-01-26, 01:38 PM
This (http://www.coyotesteel.com/assets/img/PDFs/weightspercubicfoot.pdf) may help. Look at Lead to begin with. a one foot cube is just over 700 lbs. Platinum is about twice that but that would be prohibitively expensive.

On a related note on of the odder pieces of treasure I gave out was a copper bolder. Giant smashed together the 3000 cp he had into a 60 lbs ball that I treated as "Masterwork" for hitting with. Really fun when they tried to unload the thing.