PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Return of the Scarlet Corsair

Atuk Baetho
2017-01-26, 01:53 AM
I'm currently building and planning a campaign that I'm rather affectionately referring to as "Sky Pirates" and, in the process, I'm using a few of the books from my library of D&D 3.5 materials to add flavor to the game; namely, I'm using/combining Stormwrack, the third party Aerial Adventures Guide from Goodman Games, and Pathfinder.
I also wanted to bring a few prestige classes into the game to use for iconic characters or for PC potentiality. Unfortunately, one of the classes I really like the flavor of, the Scarlet Corsair, is rather weak as far as these things go (considering a 20 level Rogue could outperform a Rogue 10/Corsair 10 by leaps and bounds by taking *two* feats) and so I tried my hand at updating the class. I wanted to improve it to the point that it would be a debate whether or not a player wanted to take it; make it too powerful and there's no reason not to take the class but make it too weak and nobody with any desire to have their character survive will ever take it.
To that end, I would like to ask the board's opinion on this project.

The original class can be found here: alcyius.com/dndtools/classes/scarlet-corsair/index.html

I moved the first Sneak Attack increase to first level, in addition to the Improved Feint feat.
I moved the rest of the abilities up a level in order to move the empty space to 10th level.
I replaced Scourge of the Seas with the Dazzling Display feat, ignoring prerequisites and allowing the player to choose one weapon with which they are proficient to use the feat with if they don't have Weapon Focus.
I replaced Frightening Lunge with the Enforcer feat and allow them to use the feat with lethal damage.
I gave the class a capstone ability to fill the dead spot I created at 10th level that allows them to ignore fear immunities within 30 feet. They can also affect creatures with "mind affecting" immunities, but the creature gets a +5 against the demoralization check. It's the Black Seraph Annihilation feat from Path of War by Dreamscarred Press.

I realize this really isn't a homebrew but this is the board where it seemed most appropriate to post.

Debihuman
2017-01-29, 10:41 AM
I'm currently building and planning a campaign that I'm rather affectionately referring to as "Sky Pirates" and, in the process, I'm using a few of the books from my library of D&D 3.5 materials to add flavor to the game; namely, I'm using/combining Stormwrack, the third party Aerial Adventures Guide from Goodman Games, and Pathfinder.

You have no idea how happy that makes me. I really love a lot of 3rd party material Of course, there is a lot out there that is frankly terrible and should be avoided but it's good to see people using non-core sources and [gasp] citing to them.

I also wanted to bring a few prestige classes into the game to use for iconic characters or for PC potentiality. Unfortunately, one of the classes I really like the flavor of, the Scarlet Corsair, is rather weak as far as these things go (considering a 20 level Rogue could outperform a Rogue 10/Corsair 10 by leaps and bounds by taking *two* feats) and so I tried my hand at updating the class.

That's why we homebrew :smallsmile:

I wanted to improve it to the point that it would be a debate whether or not a player wanted to take it; make it too powerful and there's no reason not to take the class but make it too weak and nobody with any desire to have their character survive will ever take it.
To that end, I would like to ask the board's opinion on this project.

The original class can be found here: alcyius.com/dndtools/classes/scarlet-corsair/index.html

I realize this really isn't a homebrew but this is the board where it seemed most appropriate to post.

I think it's okay to post conversions and tweaked version of things here. Moving things around and adding more power is a traditional homebrew defense against classes that seem too weak. Understandably, I think think prestige classes were made to be niche. They only really fit in well in small cases.

I'm really terrible with putting up tables or I'd do this to get a better look. I like the capstone a lot, but it strikes me that anyone could take that feat earlier as just a regular feat. Unfortunately, I'm not as well versed with Prestige Classes as I am with Monsters so I'll leave the critiquing to others.

Debby

Palanan
2017-01-29, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Atuk Baetho
...I'm using…the third party Aerial Adventures Guide from Goodman Games….

Which one are you using? This seems to be the name for a whole series of titles, including Sky Captain’s Handbook, Rulers of the Sky, etc.

Atuk Baetho
2017-01-29, 08:31 PM
Debby, you are exactly right. I think I'm going to need to try harder; I was told about the Deep Sea Pirate prestige class (as weak as that is) and that it could be a source of inspiration for me. Thank you!

Which one are you using? This seems to be the name for a whole series of titles, including Sky Captain’s Handbook, Rulers of the Sky, etc.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was part of a series! I've got the Sky Captain's Guide apparently and it's got some pretty decent rules text and tables that seem like they'll be able to help a lot with what I have in mind.

Atuk Baetho
2017-02-05, 02:36 AM
I've completed a new look for the upgrade to the Scarlet Corsair prestige class, inspired by the Dread Pirate and Ghost-Faced Killer (both from Complete Adventurer). Unless otherwise noted, I kept the previous changes (such as moving the class abilities forward a level).

I took Improved Feint away as a bonus feat, instead requiring it as a prerequisite.
I gave an ability at first class level that grants a bonus to Intimidate equal to half the character's levels in the class. It also allows the SC's Intimidate checks to affect Fear Immune creatures, but at a -5. This improves at fifth level to a -2 penalty. At ninth level, the penalty for Fear Immune creatures vanishes and the SC can affect Mind-Affecting Immune creatures but at a -5 (although mindless creatures are unaffected).
I improved Sailor's Step to also allow the SC to charge over unsteady terrain (like the deck of the ship) in addition to the AC Dodge bonus it grants.
I removed Dazzling Display as a bonus feat, instead replacing it with the original ability, Scourge of the Seas (finally seeing how powerful that ability can be for this class).
I modified the Enforcer feat for this class; instead of allowing it to be used with lethal damage, it now requires sneak attack damage. I feel this helps to exemplify what the SC is meant to be: an individual to be feared for the horrible things they can do to you.
I gave a new capstone ability: whenever the SC drops an opponent. the SC immediately regains the Corsair's Feint ability. As this is a continuation of the Corsair's Feint, I'm tempted to swap aspects around to put the Enforcer improvement as the capstone and move this ability back a level.

Once again, thank you for your time.

Atuk Baetho
2017-02-24, 02:19 AM
After much working (and some playtesting of a previous version), I have a build I am happy with. Anyone willing to give a rating would be appreciated but, even if nobody does, I'm confident in the current power level.

For anyone interested, here is what I'm considering my final build (unless someone finds something I missed in terms of being too powerful or too weak):

Scarlet Corsair:

Any nonlawful alignment
Base Attack Bonus +3
Bluff 5 ranks
Intimidate 5 ranks
Profession (Sailor) 1 rank
Sneak Attack +1d6
Must have established a reputation as a fearsome pirate

Good Base Attack Bonus
Good Reflex Save
d8 Hit Die
4+Int Bonus Skill Points
Class Skills: Acrobatics, Appraise, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Intimidate, Knowledge (Geography), Knowledge (Local), Linguistics, Perform, Profession (Sailor), Survival, Swim

Fearsome Reputation (Gain an enhancement bonus to Intimidate equal to half your class level, minimum 1 and affect creatures immune to fear with your demoralize but at a -5 to the check); gain Improved Feint as a bonus feat, even if you don't meet the requirements.
Corsair's Feint (You can feint as a free action but, once you do, you have to wait 2d4 rounds before you can use this ability again); Sneak Attack +1d6
Sailor' Step (So long as you're on a moving surface, such as the deck of a ship, you gain a +2 Dodge bonus to armor class)
Scourge of the Seas (When you use Intimidate to demoralize foes, the attempt affects all enemies within 30 feet and the demoralize lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier)
Fearsome Reputation (You can now affect creatures immune to fear with your demoralize without penalty); Authority of the Executioner (You gain Enforcer as a bonus feat without meeting the prerequisites but can only use it when you deal Sneak Attack damage rather than with non-lethal damage)
Corsair's Feint (Cooldown is now only 1d4 rounds instead of 2d4); Sneak Attack +2d6
Sailor's Step (+4 total Dodge bonus to armor class)
Lord of Dread (When dealing Sneak Attack damage to a foe rendered flat footed by your Corsair's Feint ability, you can demoralize using Intimidate and increase their fear by one step {from shaken to frightened, from frightened to panicked, or from panicked to cowering} or by two steps on a critical hit)
Fearsome Reputation (You can now affect mind-affecting immune creatures with your demoralize but at a -5)
Face of Fear (Whenever you drop an enemy to 0 or fewer hit points, Corsair's Feint immediately cools down); Sneak Attack +3d6