PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next D&D 5e Sci-Fi supplement/overhaul

1Forge
2017-01-26, 01:36 PM
This is a pet project of mine for a campaign I've been running. These rules are a WIP but can still be used for a sci-fi game with a little polishing. The current rules are specific for my setting but I plan on providing a setting neutral variant. Here's a link below to the current version on Docs, it is view only but feel free to borrow pieces. Edits will be applied when I have the time.

Link:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qwp3WDCHc8ULrxUSCmV1xdDXfJ2EG4n2sBpuS3TloJU/edit?usp=sharing

Edit/authors note: If you intend on using this for any game of your own be warned that at low levels everything is much more deadly! Guns are simply better at killing than other weapons players will need to utilize cover and armour to the best of their ability. A fix for this difficulty is being worked on but some imbalance may well be inevitable due to the nature of firearms.

EDIT2: BTW You can now add comments to the Google Doc itself via the link. Feel free to make any suggestions or other edits on the rule set itself.

JNAProductions
2017-01-26, 01:43 PM
Maser Rifle, a professional two-hander, does less damage than a civilian Laser Pistol. And what do you mean "Ignores AC"? Does it auto hit?

Bi-Pod is OP as hell.

Close Combat is broken-it's basically free advantage for anyone who likes light weapons or unarmed weapons.

1Forge
2017-01-26, 01:48 PM
Maser Rifle, a professional two-hander, does less damage than a civilian Laser Pistol. And what do you mean "Ignores AC"? Does it auto hit?

Bi-Pod is OP as hell.

Close Combat is broken-it's basically free advantage for anyone who likes light weapons or unarmed weapons.

Maser is designed to be weak because it ignores AC bonuses by armour (will re-word)
Do you have a suggested fix for bipods?
Close combat was added to make melee more available in a setting where guns do 2-3 times more damage and have massive range, I'm still adjusting in in session to balance.
P.s. Thx for feedback that was very quick.

JNAProductions
2017-01-26, 01:53 PM
And for monsters that have natural armor? No, I wouldn't do that with Maser Rifles. Too finicky-5E did away with Touch AC for a reason. Maybe give advantage against heavy-armoured targets, to keep it simple but effective against them.

Bi-Pod... No idea how to balance that. In its current state, it's broken.

And the issue with close combat is that it's end-game if you make it to there, but as you point out, guns have massive range and damage. This, overall, doesn't seem very balanced, period.

1Forge
2017-01-26, 02:01 PM
And for monsters that have natural armor? No, I wouldn't do that with Maser Rifles. Too finicky-5E did away with Touch AC for a reason. Maybe give advantage against heavy-armoured targets, to keep it simple but effective against them.

Bi-Pod... No idea how to balance that. In its current state, it's broken.

And the issue with close combat is that it's end-game if you make it to there, but as you point out, guns have massive range and damage. This, overall, doesn't seem very balanced, period.

Been playing for a while and guns do add a large element of fear into the game for the first few levels, I cant really decrease damage with good conscience but I plan on adding some armour damage reduction along with removal of the sharpshooter feet (ignores cover which is essential in this ruleset).
Suggested bi-pod fix: Perhaps simply adding a 1 or 2 to the attack would be more balanced?
Maser fix: I'll try that out next session (players are in a ship filled with maser based drones) and I'll see if it works out.
Close combat fix: I may just put minimum ranges on guns to make melee more viable while not hurting late game so much. (disadvantage when to close perhaps?)

JNAProductions
2017-01-26, 02:03 PM
A minimum range wouldn't be a bad idea.

Bi-Pod adding 1d4 or something could work.

1Forge
2017-03-05, 09:45 PM
I've noticed a few anonymous users have been viewing my rules on google docs every now and then. If this applies to you let me say feel free to comment on this forum with any observations or criticisms you have of my system, I'd love to discuss suggested changes or improvements.

The_Jette
2017-03-06, 01:10 PM
I just looked it over. Honestly, if anything, your guns seem underpowered. Guns are supposed to be deadly, and kill with a single bullet. It doesn't seem unrealistic to make all laser guns ignore armor class bonuses, including those from natural armor, instead of just the Maser rifle. If that seems too powerful, make them ignore a certain amount of armor; like light pistols ignore up to 3 points of armor, and a heavy rifle ignores up to 8 points of armor. And, I fail to see how a bi-pod is overpowered, as well. You drop prone and gain advantage on ranged attacks. Advantage is nice, but being prone is a major disadvantage. I would add the detail that it can only be attached to rifles and carbines, though. I can just picture someone augmenting their pistol with a bi-pod.
The thing about sci-fi stories is they're realistic. Futuristic armor is built to handle laser and plasma based weapons, and usually they're torn apart by them like tissue paper, too. Archaic armor would stand about as much chance against a plasma rifle as a suit of wet cardboard. If you want to play a game with guns, either make them extremely rare, so that not just every Jack, Tom, and Harry has one, or make sure your players understand that they're probably going to die. Or, just nerf them so that they're on par with archaic weaponry. I'll never understand why someone would think that a shotgun should barely do better damage than a longsword, though.

JNAProductions
2017-03-06, 01:14 PM
Prone has very few disadvantages at range. It, in fact, gives opponents disadvantage to hit you.

The_Jette
2017-03-06, 02:47 PM
Prone has very few disadvantages at range. It, in fact, gives opponents disadvantage to hit you.

Which is great, if you can keep your opponents at range. But, guns have an inherent weakness in this situation: they're very loud. So, as soon as you fire off a shot, you will get swarmed. Plus, the DM can use this stuff, too. How much more difficult is it to assault a fortress when it's got a few sniper towers, each with bi-pod mounted sniper rifles? Guns are game changers. Look at what the gun has done to the modern world.

1Forge
2017-03-06, 07:28 PM
I just looked it over. Honestly, if anything, your guns seem underpowered. Guns are supposed to be deadly, and kill with a single bullet. It doesn't seem unrealistic to make all laser guns ignore armor class bonuses, including those from natural armor, instead of just the Maser rifle. If that seems too powerful, make them ignore a certain amount of armor; like light pistols ignore up to 3 points of armor, and a heavy rifle ignores up to 8 points of armor. And, I fail to see how a bi-pod is overpowered, as well. You drop prone and gain advantage on ranged attacks. Advantage is nice, but being prone is a major disadvantage. I would add the detail that it can only be attached to rifles and carbines, though. I can just picture someone augmenting their pistol with a bi-pod.
The thing about sci-fi stories is they're realistic. Futuristic armor is built to handle laser and plasma based weapons, and usually they're torn apart by them like tissue paper, too. Archaic armor would stand about as much chance against a plasma rifle as a suit of wet cardboard. If you want to play a game with guns, either make them extremely rare, so that not just every Jack, Tom, and Harry has one, or make sure your players understand that they're probably going to die. Or, just nerf them so that they're on par with archaic weaponry. I'll never understand why someone would think that a shotgun should barely do better damage than a longsword, though.

Thank you for your input! I see there is some disagreement on what the lethality of a gun should be, to address this I think I will work on a variant rule to change armour how armour works and how injury works for a more realistic experience. that way this rule variant can apply to multiple types of players. If you have any other suggestions or criticisms feel free at any point to let me know, the more input the better and more versatile these rules will be.

Capn Charlie
2017-03-11, 11:25 AM
I have just updated my dnd 5e sci-fi conversion, perhaps we could learn from each other? Mine is here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9weYkvEU386a1ZoS2xFelBuQWc

1Forge
2017-03-11, 06:37 PM
I have just updated my dnd 5e sci-fi conversion, perhaps we could learn from each other? Mine is here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9weYkvEU386a1ZoS2xFelBuQWc

Whoa! Impressive artwork! It's definitely a different setting from mine, but it looks really well made. I'd be fine discussing the rule sets anytime.

1Forge
2017-03-23, 09:59 PM
I'm adding commenting privilege to the Doc. at the URL provided. I ask that anyone who suggests edits please keep comments concise if possible. Comments will be anonymous so please be respectful.

FabulousChester
2017-03-29, 10:18 PM
I just want to throw this out there; barring vital shots, guns are only truly lethal when someone's been shot multiple times. If you can get medical treatment, most GSWs are very survivable.

When I look at rules for settings with guns, I always go straight away to view the gun mechanics, because many times I feel like the damage is inflated.

1Forge
2017-03-29, 10:35 PM
I just want to throw this out there; barring vital shots, guns are only truly lethal when someone's been shot multiple times. If you can get medical treatment, most GSWs are very survivable.

When I look at rules for settings with guns, I always go straight away to view the gun mechanics, because many times I feel like the damage is inflated.

So what is your opinion on the damages in this case? I plan on adding some DR for armour but it's still incomplete (I still need to play test it) do you think that is necessary?

FabulousChester
2017-04-01, 01:13 AM
My group has one game that takes place in a steampunk-fantasy type world which features common firearms.
Our usual formula for damage has been: Light Pistol: 1d8 (Light, for those would be dual wielders); Heavy Pistol: 1d10; Carbines: 1d10; Heavy Rifles: 1d12. (One of the players hails from a different world and has a energy rifle, which has been set as 2d8 damage.)

I'd be very leery of letting anyone have access to weapons that deal upwards of 4 or more dice with a single attack. You may have to adjust hit points, or give armors flat out resistance, and maybe offer force fields or personal shields to those unarmored classes that offer the same defenses.
Ultimately, it will require play testing. Have you had a chance to see how the damages apply during play?

1Forge
2017-04-01, 02:56 PM
My group has one game that takes place in a steampunk-fantasy type world which features common firearms.
Our usual formula for damage has been: Light Pistol: 1d8 (Light, for those would be dual wielders); Heavy Pistol: 1d10; Carbines: 1d10; Heavy Rifles: 1d12. (One of the players hails from a different world and has a energy rifle, which has been set as 2d8 damage.)

I'd be very leery of letting anyone have access to weapons that deal upwards of 4 or more dice with a single attack. You may have to adjust hit points, or give armors flat out resistance, and maybe offer force fields or personal shields to those unarmored classes that offer the same defenses.
Ultimately, it will require play testing. Have you had a chance to see how the damages apply during play?

I've run a game with this rule set for over a year now at a club I run at a store that sponsors our group. I have 3 dedicated players (been there from day one) and 3-ish that hop in and out of the campaign. At early levels I had to seriously pull a few punches I threw at them to make it fair (I stranded them on an alien world to make their enemies less dangerous for a time) in mid game it became mutually deadly for players and for the bad guys, but as they pass 10th level I've been struggling to make enemies strong enough to compete with them and that don't just incinerate the players. Humanoids are pretty weak, and Dragon Titans (Homebrewed monster that was supposed to act kinda like a Tarrasque mixed with Cthulhu) are too powerful, so I've had to get very creative with encounters to keep the challenge level appropriate. Cover has become very important (Though that was ruined when all the players took the "sharpshooter" feat which I have resolved to ban or seriously nerf in future campaigns in this setting) Armour damage reduction has been tried but each attempt has been unbalanced so currently it protects against a "plot amount of damage" until I can fix it. I'm also adding drugs that can provide temporary hit points. It works really well sometimes it's just a little harder to balance encounters than traditional 5e.

Submortimer
2017-04-04, 07:09 PM
Do you have a suggested fix for bipods?

You do know that, RAW, Ranged attacks are made at disadvantage while you are prone, right?

All the bipod needs to do is remove this disadvantage, and it's golden.