PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Creatures with access to Awaken as a SLA

Uncle Pine
2017-01-26, 01:37 PM
Exactly what it says on the tin.

A few days ago I've asked the following question in the Q&A thread, but apparently what I'm looking for is a bit too obscure (assuming it exists at all):

Q 467

Is there either a creature with natural access to Awaken as a SLA, or alternatively a template that could grant it?

The goal would be to create a giant hulking insectoid creature with access to Awaken without going full Druid 15 with Vermin Shape to turn into a Huge vermin, but at this point any base creature/template with Awaken as a SLA will suffice. I'd also rather avoid to slap 9 Druid levels on some bug, as those would provide a lot of class features that stray from the concept I have in mind.

The closest thing I could find is the spellstitched template, but that doesn't work because Awaken is a transmutation spell.

WbtE
2017-01-26, 01:40 PM
Just do it as a DM special. Awaken wouldn't change CR in itself if you're worried about that.

ShurikVch
2017-01-26, 01:57 PM
Forestmaster template (Bestiary of Krynn) cast spells as Druid (level = HD); the only requirements are Magical Beast and Int & Wis 10+

Zanos
2017-01-26, 01:59 PM
Anything with wish, limited wish, or miracle would work, as those spells can replicate awaken.

Uncle Pine
2017-01-26, 02:33 PM
Forestmaster template (Bestiary of Krynn) cast spells as Druid (level = HD); the only requirements are Magical Beast and Int & Wis 10+
Nice find! Casting spells like a Druid still gives the creature a lot of power, but it's definitely a huge improvement over giving it actual Druid levels. I also really like the Death Throes ability, as it really gives me final boss vibes.

Anything with limited wish, limited wish, or miracle would work, as those spells can replicate awaken.
Good idea, as those SLA are also commonly listed in most creatures handbook for obvious reasons. I'll look them up to see if I can find something appropriate.