PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Divine Sorcery Feat

INoKnowNames
2017-01-26, 05:16 PM
So, amidst the continuing struggle between the learned arcanists and the wyrmborn mystics, a commoner cleaned a cournel of esoteric knowledge that looked quite eager. Sadly, the accords of that battle were swallowed by the void of rightful gods, but the flickering ember still burnith within the bosom of said commoner.

:smallwink:

Divine Sorcery, from Dragon 343. I'm curious what other people make of it, from a RAW/RAI perspective.

If a Sorcerer gains a prestige class that grants them a new domain, could they assimilate -that- for even more spells known?
What of changing the base domain after adding additional spells known?
And of course, a Domain Power is a delicious ability to grab, potentially more interesting in the power of a poor Sorcerer....

Dragon Magazine always gets taken with a grain of salt, but I wonder what anyone else might see in this feat. My first thought was to speculate how hard it'd be to get into both Archmage and Warweaver, just for a slightly weaker Healer type character; I imagine others on the forum would be far more bold with the ability to gain additional spells known via a chosen Domain, at the very least.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-01-26, 09:05 PM
I would use it for access to a good domain power. Combine with the domain access ACF and enjoy 2 domain powers and some limited ability to use domain spells. Focus on the domains that grant exciting cleric spells as well. Pride has a nice power for example.

INoKnowNames
2017-01-27, 09:06 AM
I would use it for access to a good domain power. Combine with the domain access ACF and enjoy 2 domain powers and some limited ability to use domain spells. Focus on the domains that grant exciting cleric spells as well. Pride has a nice power for example.

I need to check the wording on Domain Access vs Divine Sorcery, but at a cursory glance online, one's permanent, while the other could be potentially changed overtime with some tricks, Dm permitting. 2 solid Domain Powers and the Spell-list to make 'em useful would be... interesting.

With enough time meditating and swapping Domains to study, a Sorcerer could probably be quite terrifying in terms of spells known....

But for not trying to break the game, solid Spells are cool, too.

YO, THE SPELL DOMAIN WOULD BE SEXY, JUST FOR ANYSPELL AND GREATER ANYSPELL!

I have this vivid mental image of a Sorcerer pretending to be both a Cleric and a Wizard...

And Pride, that's a fantastic power. Needing to roll 2 1s to get a 1 on a Save? Delicious...

Deathbound Domain for a Sorcerer Necromancer?

Then there's all the Domains that grant variants of Turning, all of which would be neat on a Cha centric class... but they'd need something that grants outright Turning to use some of the others, wouldn't they....

Xethik
2017-01-27, 02:00 PM
YO, THE SPELL DOMAIN WOULD BE SEXY, JUST FOR ANYSPELL AND GREATER ANYSPELL!

I believe you need domain spell slots to use the most up-to-date version of the Anyspells.

thorr-kan
2017-01-27, 06:19 PM
The feat reads to me like you get to pick one spell from your domain each day. That's added to your spell list for that day. Tomorrow, you start over.

GilesTheCleric
2017-01-27, 08:21 PM
AFB, but if it lets you cast it as a divine spell, then you can use it with anything that would otherwise require an arcane focus, such as Identify.