PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What happens if a sorcerer already knows the spell that is later granted by their BL?

Particle_Man
2017-01-26, 06:19 PM
Say a sorcerer with the draconic bloodline chooses to make mage armor one of their spells known at 1st level. What happens when that sorcerer hits 3rd level and would be entitled to add mage armor to their spells known? Is the sorcerer simply down one spell known for their foolish impatience? Is the sorcerer allowed to choose a different spell from the sorcerer/wizard spell list?

zimmerwald1915
2017-01-26, 06:38 PM
Say a sorcerer with the draconic bloodline chooses to make mage armor one of their spells known at 1st level. What happens when that sorcerer hits 3rd level and would be entitled to add mage armor to their spells known? Is the sorcerer simply down one spell known for their foolish impatience? Is the sorcerer allowed to choose a different spell from the sorcerer/wizard spell list?
RAW is the former. Most GMs would grant the latter (or at the very least would allow the sorcerer to swap out the old mage armor at level 4, when the class feature that lets them trade out spells known starts kicking in).

digiman619
2017-01-26, 07:21 PM
Normally, I'd say "you either know something or you don't", but since you can somehow memorize something twice, who knows?

icefractal
2017-01-26, 08:42 PM
Personally I'd let them replace it with another spell of the same level. But RAW, I think it's just wasted.

Geddy2112
2017-01-26, 09:24 PM
Yes, RAW it means that you just don't get a bonus spell known. I do think most DM's would allow you to retrain.

grarrrg
2017-01-26, 10:00 PM

By RAW you'd get nothing. Good day sir.
And it's not exactly a secret what spells you'll be getting from your Bloodline. Plan ahead.

There's also always the 'in-class' retrain option:
"Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered sorcerer level after that (6th, 8th, and so on), a sorcerer can choose to learn a new spell in place of one she already knows. In effect, the sorcerer loses the old spell in exchange for the new one."
And this should still technically work for Bloodline spells: "At 3rd level, and every two levels thereafter, a sorcerer learns an additional spell, derived from her bloodline...These spells cannot be exchanged for different spells at higher levels."
Since you can't not have a Bloodline Spell, then you should still be free to trade away your not-Bloodline copy.

Psyren
2017-01-26, 11:08 PM
This situation is basically what Retraining (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCampaign/campaignSystems/retraining.html) was designed for. So show it to your GM and go nuts.

Where possible you should definitely use the free sorcerer version that grarrrg mentioned, but failing that, there is the universal option.