PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade feats

Shadowbane13
2017-01-26, 08:29 PM
Hey guys I got myself a level 10 fighter and tackled all the feats I wanted for the style of fighter I am so now it onto the next step. Add some spells to the pool. With some magical tomes and items I got my Intel up enough for the duskblade class (figured putting spells on my weapon would be helpful).

One feat I looked at was arcane strike. Our dm was curious as to whether or not you can sacrifice more than one spell as long as it's the same level. Like instead of just 1 lvl 2 spell you can give up 5 lvl 2 spells and increase the damage to 10d4 instead of 2d4.

Aetis
2017-01-26, 09:49 PM
I believe by RAW bonus damage will stack, while the bonus attack roll will not. Spells you sacrifice also don't have to be spells of the same level.

This may or may not be overpowered depending on the optimization level at your table.

An aside, purely my conjecture: I think because Complete Warrior was published before Swift/Immediate actions were introduced to 3.5, the authors went with free action to use the Arcane Strike feat. (inadvertently allowing damage stacking as mentioned above) If this feat was included in the latter books, then my guess is that it would have been a swift action to use the feat.

Rebel7284
2017-01-26, 10:00 PM
I don't think it was intended to stack. However, as pointed out, the damage dice technically do even if the attack bonus does not.

Shadowbane13
2017-01-27, 12:42 PM
I would be able to change which AB I use though no? Or were you guys saying if I sacrificed 2 lvl 2 spells and 1 lvl 5 spell it'd only be either +4 or +5 instead of +9. I also get an attack bonus from another ability would that stack?

ZamielVanWeber
2017-01-27, 12:59 PM
2 level 2 spells yield a +2 to hit and 4d4 damage. 2 level 2 slots and a level 5 slot yield a +5 to hit and 9d4 damage. The bonus is equal at the highest slot expended and the dice are equal to all slots expended.

A different attack bonus will stack because Arcane Strike's bonus is untyped and thus stacks with everything from a different source.

Mr Adventurer
2017-01-27, 02:10 PM
Instead of Duskblade you could go Wizard 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Spellsword 4. This would give you spellcasting as a Wizard 8, 4th level spells and Spellsword spell channelling - plus the flexibility of Wizard spell book. Abjurant Champion ability that sets caster level to BAB would do a lot of heavy lifting for you there.

I played a not-too-dissimilar build to high levels once: Human Paragon 1/Fighter 4/Sorcerer 1/Abjurant Champion* 5/Spellsword 3/Human Paragon +2/Eldritch Knight 4. Sorcerer spellcasting level 13. Lots of fun.

*Using fractional saves and BAB so had BAB +5 in time.

Inevitability
2017-01-27, 02:22 PM
It may take a while before you have the spell slots to qualify for Arcane Strike, but a Faustian Pact can net you a 3rd-level slot as soon as you enter Duskblade. That way, your level 12 feat can be AS.

Thurbane
2017-01-27, 04:34 PM
Some feat suggestion I would have for Duskblade:
- Knowledge Devotion (CC): bonuses to hit and damage based on Knowledge checks.
- Bloodline feat (Dragon Compendium): add a new spell known levels 1-6, with spells not necessarily on your spell list. Earth Bloodline is decent for a gishy type.
- Smiting Spell (PHB 2): yo dawg, I hear you like delivering spells when you attack, so I added some delivery of spells to your attack.
- Battle Caster (CArc): you have heavy armor proficiency, so why not take full advantage of it? Don't take this feat if you'll have access to mithril full plate.

Mr Adventurer
2017-01-27, 04:44 PM
Knowledge Devotion is far less useful on a character that spent their first 10 levels as a Fighter, though, unless you've made special preparations for it.

Matrota
2017-01-27, 04:46 PM
I agree with Mr. Adventurer, While the duskblade class is a base class making it very easy to acquire, the duskblade only gets a few spells, and only get up to 5th level spells. Spellswords are infinitely stronger, and seeing as your fighter would qualify for all the prerequisites except the ability to cast 3rd level spells, I'd go for a spellcaster class into spellsword.

Regardless of if you go spellsword or duskblade however, I suggest you get practiced spellcaster. It will give you +4 caster level to help out the adjustment of fighter to magical fighter.

EDIT: Also, if you stick with this character for long enough and go into epic levels, at 12th level spellsword your spellsword CL is equal to your spellsword level, which, paired with the practiced spellcaster feat, puts you at CL 20 at 26th level. (4th level spellcasting class for prerequisites to spellsword gives 4 CL, 12th level spellsword gives 12 CL, practiced spellcaster feat gives 4 CL)

Thurbane
2017-01-27, 04:47 PM
Knowledge Devotion is far less useful on a character that spent their first 10 levels as a Fighter, though, unless you've made special preparations for it.

Ah, missed that part of the OP...

That also renders a Bloodline feat far less useful.