PDA

View Full Version : A non melee bladesinger?

NecroDancer
2017-01-26, 10:51 PM
If I played a bladesinger but only used the bladesong ability to boast my defense during battle (never make a weapon attack at all) would the build still be viable? We would be starting from level 1 and be rest of the party is a ranger, warlock, ranged fighter, and a melee cleric.

Erys
2017-01-26, 10:56 PM
If I played a bladesinger but only used the bladesong ability to boast my defense during battle (never make a weapon attack at all) would the build still be viable? We would be starting from level 1 and be rest of the party is a ranger, warlock, ranged fighter, and a melee cleric.

Viable, ideal, and optimal.

Trying to wade into melee as a bladesinger sounds all good and fun, but if that is your goal you are better suited to do so as an EK.

Biggstick
2017-01-26, 11:00 PM
A High Elf with a Longbow, two attacks, maxed Dexterity, Sharpshooter, and full spell caster progression (Magic Weapon, Fly, Greater Invisibility, etc) would actually do pretty well. If you find a way to get Crossbow Expert in there too (maybe start as a class that has martial proficiency like Fighter) and you'll have 3 attacks per turn with a Hand Crossbow.

If you ever want to activate your Bladesinger stuff, you can simply throw the bow or crossbow to the ground as a free action and pull out a sword as your interact with object action.

Some people might advise against it, but it would do perfectly fine in most games.

djreynolds
2017-01-27, 04:48 AM
You are still a wizard, but for me it makes stuff like rushing up to launch lighting bolt and cone of cold or burning hands very fun when the opportunity presents itself, or when you have casted a special concentration spell on another party member and cannot lose it.

I think in those instances resilient dex isn't a bad option over resilient con as you get intelligence to con for concentration during bladesinging.

So grab spells that have a range of self so that you have them

Spiritchaser
2017-01-27, 06:07 AM
I would propose that in general, a bladesinger probably spends more time in melee at low levels, and less (maybe none) at higher ones.

Disclaimer: this is based on exactly one data point. I only have one bladesinger.

RickAllison
2017-01-27, 01:06 PM
I would propose that in general, a bladesinger probably spends more time in melee at low levels, and less (maybe none) at higher ones.

Disclaimer: this is based on exactly one data point. I only have one bladesinger.

Makes sense. Rather than a Magic Knight (Final Fantasy class that uses magic specifically to boost its fighting capabilities), it is a Red Mage (a class that can use magic, but falls back on fighting capabilities when those aren't needed). While one could build a Bladesinger to be the former, I would argue that it is much more effective when using the latter.

Also remember that the weapon restriction for Bladesong is when you use two hands to make an attack with a weapon. So as long as you don't actively attack with longbows, or you only use hand crossbows and similar one-handed ranged weapons, the Bladesong functions perfectly well. For extra points when needed, a Bladesinger using Crossbow Expert could pop off an Enlarge on self so every attack deals an extra 1d4 damage. That is more of a tactic for medium and higher levels, when a second-level slot is a small loss and your concentration isn't better-served elsewhere.

Sans.
2017-01-27, 04:30 PM
Viable, ideal, and optimal.

Trying to wade into melee as a bladesinger sounds all good and fun, but if that is your goal you are better suited to do so as an EK.

Unrelated tangent, but EK 10/BS 10 is really, really good.

Sigreid
2017-01-28, 12:10 AM
A BS is still a wizard and should still use melee as a last resort. He's just better at it when that situation comes up.

Draco4472
2017-01-28, 12:43 AM
I've seen a build proposed revolving around the use of a hand-crossbow gained from Drow proficiencies, with combined use of the sharpshooter and crossbow expert feats, in addition to buff/utility spells to benefit this combat style.

Overall, Bladesingers have great melee potential, but are better as casters in the first place.

On a side-not, a rogue dip makes for an awesome build.

Foxhound438
2017-01-28, 01:00 AM
*reads the title*

yep, that sure is a fine way to do it

Even just int to AC and concentration checks is worthwhile.

Dr. Cliché
2017-01-29, 10:23 AM

How would you build this?

Would you take levels in one class until lv10 and then start on the other, or intermingle them more?

Biggstick
2017-01-29, 11:52 AM

This actually sounds really really terrible. Why are you going so many levels into Bladesinger if you're that many levels into EK? Why not go with any other Arcane Tradition over the Bladesinger? It seems like a huge waste to not be going pretty much any other Arcane Tradition.

How would you build this?

Would you take levels in one class until lv10 and then start on the other, or intermingle them more?

I'm also curious how you would go about with this particular build, seeing as how it seems so much better to go with another Arcane Tradition.

djreynolds
2017-01-29, 12:24 PM
Well EK at 10th grants disadvantage versus your spells and I think your parties for that turn and you can still spam spell slots for damage mitigation.

It's a way, not the way, but it does work. Still get 5ASI. And with water caster you only need one attack with BB or any other cantrip like shocking grasp denying a reaction... to the shield spell

Foxhound438
2017-01-29, 04:21 PM

I feel like 11 EK/9 BS would be a lot better, since you get 3 attacks out of it. The only thing you lose is a DR ability, but I feel like shield and absorb elements are generally more efficient, since they both last an entire round and only cost a L1 slot.

And I would have to agree with others that something like abjuration or divination wizard would probably be more attractive than bladesinger, since bladesinger's extra attack is a dead feature. Not to mention that you can use heavy armor and shields with anything else.