PDA

View Full Version : Variant Half Elf Paladin?

CaptainSarathai
2017-01-27, 12:51 AM
So, a player in party just found out about the Variant Half Elf options, instead of the 2 skills. They're playing a HElfy Paladin, simce the +2/+1/+1 is really nice for a Pally.

Is there any reason to give up the 2 skills for Magic.
We're talking a great weapon Vengeance Pally here, in armor, and is unlikely to MultiClass.

I was thinking BB/GFB as a Wizard Cantrip, but Pallys get Extra Attack, and twice as many attacks means twice as many chances to Crit.
I don't see much use in any of the other options though, and suggested they stay with the 2 free skills. Was this the right call?

Kileonhardt
2017-01-27, 01:01 AM
So, a player in party just found out about the Variant Half Elf options, instead of the 2 skills. They're playing a HElfy Paladin, simce the +2/+1/+1 is really nice for a Pally.

Is there any reason to give up the 2 skills for Magic.
We're talking a great weapon Vengeance Pally here, in armor, and is unlikely to MultiClass.

I was thinking BB/GFB as a Wizard Cantrip, but Pallys get Extra Attack, and twice as many attacks means twice as many chances to Crit.
I don't see much use in any of the other options though, and suggested they stay with the 2 free skills. Was this the right call?

Paladin aren't really your skill monkeys anyway so giving up the skills isn't that big of a deal. That being said, with HE cantrips keying off INT, which will likely be the dump stat, there is no reason to go HElfy. Drow Magic would be a better option just because it keys off Charisma and gives you a little utility in faerie fire and darkness.

Personally I'd stick with base HElf or 1/2 Wood Elf for Fleet of Foot. Doesn't seem like much but that 5 extra feet of movement is great when your wizard or sorc casts haste on you.

djreynolds
2017-01-27, 01:12 AM
Its cantrip, BB... no one say you have to use it.

And if you are in melee and have war caster... you can use it then for AoO

Also I found minor illusion is very good for detective work. I use it show others bounties I'm chasing

Arkhios
2017-01-27, 01:28 AM
Paladin aren't really your skill monkeys anyway so giving up the skills isn't that big of a deal. That being said, with HE cantrips keying off INT, which will likely be the dump stat, there is no reason to go HElfy. Drow Magic would be a better option just because it keys off Charisma and gives you a little utility in faerie fire and darkness.

Personally I'd stick with base HElf or 1/2 Wood Elf for Fleet of Foot. Doesn't seem like much but that 5 extra feet of movement is great when your wizard or sorc casts haste on you.

Why couldn't/wouldn't a paladin want to be a "skill monkey" though. Is this again an assumption that paladins by default are dunces? Besides, Intelligence is no longer a factor in the possible amount of skill proficiencies.

Although, I agree with the wood elf variant. Extra speed is extra speed. The faster you can run from the unfavorable position to more favorable position, the better.

INT based cantrip is a bit weak unless you have a decent INT score.
BB is a good one if you intend to grab War Caster, but I don't see much use for it otherwise, as a Paladin.

Kileonhardt
2017-01-27, 01:45 AM
Why couldn't/wouldn't a paladin want to be a "skill monkey" though. Is this again an assumption that paladins by default are dunces? Besides, Intelligence is no longer a factor in the possible amount of skill proficiencies.

I know Intelligence is no longer a skill factor but I wasn't using it in that regard, it was purely in regards to most of the possible Wizard cantrips.

Paladins can focus on skills if they wish, I was merely pointing out it's usually not optimal. I even stated I'd generally just keep the HElf skills.

I do agree with everyone mentioning BB could definitely be a viable reason for 1/2 High Elf if War Caster is planned.

Vaz
2017-01-27, 01:52 AM
What Wizard cantrips key off Int?

djreynolds
2017-01-27, 01:59 AM
I know Intelligence is no longer a skill factor but I wasn't using it in that regard, it was purely in regards to most of the possible Wizard cantrips.

Paladins can focus on skills if they wish, I was merely pointing out it's usually not optimal. I even stated I'd generally just keep the HElf skills.

I do agree with everyone mentioning BB could definitely be a viable reason for 1/2 High Elf if War Caster is planned.

I personally think for IMO, warcaster is better than resilient con. Your Aura of protection should be able to cover you, at least +5 on the save on top of you con bonus

But warcaster gives advantage and an AoO with something like BB/GFB.

Also BB/GFB prior to 11th level if it hits does pretty good damage and helps save on smites to use when you really need them

Now once you get improved divine smite, yeah it loses some steam but it is viable.

Kileonhardt
2017-01-27, 02:03 AM

Not sure if this was serious or not so I'll answer it anyway. Any spell attack (sans GFB or BB) use Int for attack rolls / saving throws when taken with High Elf Magic.

Arkhios
2017-01-27, 02:18 AM
Not sure if this was serious or not so I'll answer it anyway. Any spell attack (sans GFB or BB) use Int for attack rolls / saving throws when taken with High Elf Magic.

Exactly my thoughts, but being pedantic to a fault, here's a few:

Fire Bolt (int to attack)
Shocking Grasp (int to attack)
Acid Splash (int to save)
Ray of Frost (int to attack)
Minor illusion (int to save)

As said, these are only a few, but there are more.

GFB is also kind of keyed off of INT, with the secondary target taking a bonus damage equal to spellcasting ability in addition to the (eventual) dice.

Vaz
2017-01-27, 04:44 AM
But no, seriously, as an Eldritch knight, why would you want those?

Arkhios
2017-01-27, 04:50 AM
But no, seriously, as an Eldritch knight, why would you want those?

To have, I dunno, options maybe? No one wants to be a one trick pony.

Vaz
2017-01-27, 04:56 AM
So take a Bow? Sure the damage eventuay outstrips, but you don't take Eldritch Knight to be a spellcaster. You take Eldritch Knight to hit stuff and self buff. Yiu take Bladesinger to sling spells.

djreynolds
2017-01-27, 05:01 AM
Its not bad for a paladin, though I think GWM will get more mileage, but if you can select it for free from being a half-elf, its not bad. Its just at 5th is the extra attack and 11th is improved smite.

I'd take the skills in religion and history, they might come up for a paladin in roleplay

Arkhios
2017-01-27, 05:01 AM
So take a Bow? Sure the damage eventuay outstrips, but you don't take Eldritch Knight to be a spellcaster. You take Eldritch Knight to hit stuff and self buff. Yiu take Bladesinger to sling spells.

Do you? You might, but someone else might have different ideas of a fun and interesting character.

Besides, last time I checked, wizard evocation spells (the other half of Eldritch Knight's readily available spells mind you) were not self buffs nor do they help you hit stuff.