PDA

View Full Version : Missing Thread?

Quertus
2017-01-27, 12:59 AM
So, I've been feverish, but I believe that I posted to a thread about a D&D 3.5 sorcerer named... Black Scar?

From what I remember of what little I skimmed, people weren't being very polite in that thread. So I was expecting moderators might give warning, or even lock the thread.

But now I can't find it. Which can happen when I thread is moved, but... I can them track it down by looking at my activity. I cannot find a link to what I posted in the thread when I check my recent activity. So... can entire threads be deleted? Is that what happened in this case? If so, why? And, perhaps more interestingly, what are the general rules for the situations under which threads get deleted.

As a side note, the forum tracks posts - total number of posts, posts per day. Do posts that were made in threads that get deleted count towards either statistic?

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post these questions.

Grand Arbiter
2017-01-27, 02:52 AM
So, I've been feverish, but I believe that I posted to a thread about a D&D 3.5 sorcerer named... Black Scar?

From what I remember of what little I skimmed, people weren't being very polite in that thread. So I was expecting moderators might give warning, or even lock the thread.

But now I can't find it. Which can happen when I thread is moved, but... I can them track it down by looking at my activity. I cannot find a link to what I posted in the thread when I check my recent activity. So... can entire threads be deleted? Is that what happened in this case? If so, why? And, perhaps more interestingly, what are the general rules for the situations under which threads get deleted.
*I am absolutely not a mod*

That thread was made by a poster who's kept coming back after being banned at least a dozen times. They keep reposting the same thing, sometimes with additions, and are not particularly well-liked. The mods frequently delete/remove the threads that individual makes from what I've seen.

As a side note, the forum tracks posts - total number of posts, posts per day. Do posts that were made in threads that get deleted count towards either statistic?
I am idly curious about this myself.
now to go to sleep before I stay up another three hours past my bedtime...

Quertus
2017-01-27, 08:08 AM
*I am absolutely not a mod*

That thread was made by a poster who's kept coming back after being banned at least a dozen times. They keep reposting the same thing, sometimes with additions, and are not particularly well-liked. The mods frequently delete/remove the threads that individual makes from what I've seen.

I am idly curious about this myself.
now to go to sleep before I stay up another three hours past my bedtime...

Ah, explains why people were referring to the OP by a different name than his actual name.

Sleep is your friend. Don't keep your friends waiting. :smallwink:

Rockphed
2017-01-27, 12:14 PM

I think that the count of posts only includes posts that have not been deleted. I think the first time a great purge happened a couple of people saw their title (which is connected to post count) get smaller. That said, we don't care about post count and titles here. As I understand it, the titles cannot be removed (and possibly cannot be identical), so they were made into a little bit of thematic flair.

Quertus
2017-01-27, 03:18 PM
Experimentation indicates that my deleted posts are counted in the total. Although I'd still love confirmation of this observation.

Roland St. Jude
2017-01-27, 05:08 PM
Sheriff: Individual posts or threads can be moved either with or without a redirect. If done with a redirect, you can still see the thread title where it was originally posted and click on it to go to the thread (or get an "access denied" message if it's been moved to an area you don't have access to). If done without a redirect, it just disappears from the area it was posted in.

If you post in a thread that gets moved out of sight, it's just going to disappear. That happens sometimes with threads that are inherently problematic or just such a mess that they can't be left visible but also can't be cleaned up.

I'm not going to get into the rest of it. Post counts and user titles are irrelevant, a bit of local color and that's all.