PDA

View Full Version : Legendary magic item question

Ryuu Hayato
2017-01-27, 01:05 AM
I was thinking about a method of balance a little bit better the magical items. I belive that +1/+2/+3 on attack rolls be a something too strong, something that make you have so much sucess. I realy like the concept of Flametongue and Frost Band, they add die or dice of damage insted incresse the attack roll.

Sword of Answering
You gain a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this sword. In addition, while you hold the sword, you can use your reaction to make 1 melee attack with it against any creature in your reach that deals damage to you. You have advantage on the attack roll, and any damage dealt with this special attack ignores any damage immunity or resistance the target has.

So, if I remove the +3 bonus on the attack rolls, the magical item will continue on legendary tier? Or it'll go down to very rare? If I remove the +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls and add +1d6 on damage, the magical item will be very rare or legendary?

Ryuu Hayato
2017-01-27, 06:21 PM
No one? =[

Gignere
2017-01-27, 06:46 PM
No one? =[

+1d6 is a poor substitute for +3 hit and damage. Maybe give it another ability like blooddrinking gives 1d10 temp hps after a kill.

Ryuu Hayato
2017-01-27, 07:11 PM
+1d6 is a poor substitute for +3 hit and damage. Maybe give it another ability like blooddrinking gives 1d10 temp hps after a kill.

I don't like +3 on hit. If I only stay +3 on damage and the effect, the sword now I'll be very rare?

Gignere
2017-01-27, 07:43 PM
I don't like +3 on hit. If I only stay +3 on damage and the effect, the sword now I'll be very rare?

+ 3 damage and blooddrinking maybe +1d6 instead of +3 this way at least it can multiply on a crit.

Typhon
2017-01-27, 08:22 PM
By legendary, you mean rare? If it is going to base a legendary off of a rare or uncommon weapon of +1/+2/+3, they why not have it be something that the characters have to repower. Such as it is weakly magical, unless mcguffin is found and utilized by ritual on the weapon. Another option would be similar and that is that Mjolnir setup. It won't fully function unless character meets x requirement.

Honestly, my opinion though, you could always create a slightly lower powered version. +1 flametongue instead of +2 and half all effects. Eventually +hit is going to come into play. Either by player spells or other items.

For you though, I think re-powering the item through various rituals is a good option. One ritual may bring about different powers, as DM you decide with one to make easiest to complete and what part of the weapon is re-enchanted.

Baptor
2017-01-27, 08:32 PM
I was thinking about a method of balance a little bit better the magical items. I belive that +1/+2/+3 on attack rolls be a something too strong, something that make you have so much sucess. I realy like the concept of Flametongue and Frost Band, they add die or dice of damage insted incresse the attack roll.

So, if I remove the +3 bonus on the attack rolls, the magical item will continue on legendary tier? Or it'll go down to very rare? If I remove the +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls and add +1d6 on damage, the magical item will be very rare or legendary?

This is going to be bullet points so I don't spend all night writing.

- I've done the numbers, and +1d6 damage is almost always stronger than +1 hit/damage, mainly because hitting isn't hard to do in this edition. I'm sure everyone will want to see those numbers, and I don't care.

- Rarity is bogus. In many cases a higher rarity indicates a stronger item, but not always. A weapon of warning is easily one of the strongest weapons in the game and yet it's uncommon. The lifestealing weapon that drains on a crit is only a cut above a flavor item and yet it's rare. Rarity is bogus, just ignore it.

- With rarity out the window, you'll just have to eyeball it. Imagine what the characters can do with the item and go from there as far as it's power level.

- I agree with you that +1 this and +2 that is lame and uninteresting. Toss it. Most of the items are still interesting without them.

- The sword of answering, sans +3, is still a pretty strong item. I'd probably hold onto it until at least level 7 or so, maybe 10th before handing it out.

Hope this helps.

EvilAnagram
2017-01-28, 01:14 AM

This wouldn't be legendary without the +3, even with the d6.

Since it allows more nimble riposting, maybe make it so that it gives the bearer a +1 to AC so long as he is not adjacent to any allies?