PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Mobile Spells

GandalfTheWhite
2017-01-27, 02:20 AM
I'm thinking of spells like Mordenkainen's sword, spiritual weapon, moonbeam, etc. You have the range of the spell when you cast it (60 feet for Mordenkainen's sword for example) and then you can move them on your turn (like 20 feet, again for Mordenkainen's sword). My question is this: can you move the spell outside its initial range when cast (like from 60 feet away from you to 80 feet away from you for Mordenkainen's sword) or, are you still limited to the 60 foot range of the spell?

DracoKnight
2017-01-27, 02:21 AM
I believe that you can move it further away from you, but I'm not 100% on this. Maybe we can get jaapleton to talk to Crawford on the subject.

Joe the Rat
2017-01-27, 10:54 AM
Mage hand and Unseen Servant specify a maximum range - the spell fails if you try to move/act/send it too far away. If it doesn't list a maximum distance from the caster, I would be inclined to say it does not have to stay within range.

INDYSTAR188
2017-01-27, 10:56 AM
I'm thinking of spells like Mordenkainen's sword, spiritual weapon, moonbeam, etc. You have the range of the spell when you cast it (60 feet for Mordenkainen's sword for example) and then you can move them on your turn (like 20 feet, again for Mordenkainen's sword). My question is this: can you move the spell outside its initial range when cast (like from 60 feet away from you to 80 feet away from you for Mordenkainen's sword) or, are you still limited to the 60 foot range of the spell?

An interesting question, has it come up in a game?

Erys
2017-01-27, 10:59 AM

"Once a spell is cast, its effects aren’t limited by its range, unless the spell’s description says otherwise."

PHB, very top of page 203 under the Range section.

StrikingViking
2017-01-28, 02:55 AM

The way I read the Spiritual Weapon spell is, it takes a bonus action to cast, and another bonus action to move it up to an additional 20 feet. Since you can never have more than 1 bonus (emphasis on bonus) action on your turn, I would rule "No, you can't move it an additional 20 feet on the same turn you cast it."

Mordy's sword costs an action to cast, leaving the bonus action still available, so I'd allow the caster to move it the extra 20 feet on the same turn when the spell was cast, since that requires a bonus action.

Moonbeam costs an action to cast, and an action to move it 60 feet in any direction. The way I read the Extra Attack feature and the Haste spell, they allow extra attacks with physical weapons, not magical constructs or effects. I'd rule that moving a recently cast Moonbeam requires a full action, and the caster would not be able to move it an additional 60 feet on the same turn it was cast.

All that said, play the game how you want

RickAllison
2017-01-28, 12:22 PM
"Once a spell is cast, its effects aren’t limited by its range, unless the spell’s description says otherwise."

PHB, very top of page 203 under the Range section.

This is it. It also means you don't have to remain in range for suggestion (8 hours would be difficult), you can run away after afflicting an enemy with a spell (Druid uses Heat Metal on the big guy's armor, then retreats so he just slowly dies), and you can travel with spells like Flaming Sphere.

Alatar
2017-01-28, 09:21 PM
I'd rule that moving a recently cast Moonbeam requires a full action, and the caster would not be able to move it an additional 60 feet on the same turn it was cast.

Unless the caster spends an Action Surge. I think my next wizard may start with two levels of fighter. And his name shall be Akchun Serge!

"The name is Serge. Akchun Serge."