PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Invaded By Illithids Fantasy World Ideas

Scowling Dragon
2017-01-27, 02:23 AM
Currently Im going to run a Spelljammer campaign. Details are not important but point is that the Ilthid Empire is Rising once again.

Point is I have some questions I want answered so the setting can be complete:

This takes place after the fall of their first empire, and it still hasn't reached similar proportions yet, but why haven't the Giths Taken action? They exist in alternate planes, but Im thinking.

Why would gods permit their planets to be conquered by these invaders. Especially generally Athiestic invaders.

I need for there to be more diversity of stuff to do in setting so I need a good excuse as to why the Ilthids wouldn't just turn any conquered planets into kingdoms of thralls and actually let most people run loose.

Fri
2017-01-27, 02:48 AM
Why would gods permit their planets to be conquered by these invaders. Especially generally Athiestic invaders.

Same reason on why gods permit demons, tarrasques, or whatever monstrosity usually destroy any other lands. Pick one. Usually they're not allowed to intervene directly by clause of non-intervention, and only allowed to act through agents? The evil gods are helping the atheist illithids for one reason or another? (because it mess up with good gods is a good reason as any)?

I need for there to be more diversity of stuff to do in setting so I need a good excuse as to why the Ilthids wouldn't just turn any conquered planets into kingdoms of thralls and actually let most people run loose.

What about simply resistance? It's hard to turn a whole planet into thrall, so maybe they just turn a continent or two into an empire of thrall, and decide it's good enough, planet's is considered conquered enough for their purpose, let's move on to other planet instead of painstakingly trying to off every single non-thrall. So in other continents life might goes on as usual as possible, with the inhabitant trying to take back the conquered lands, and the thrall empire try to conquer the remaining lands, but the illithids leave that behind, they don't have time to micromanage everything.

Berenger
2017-01-27, 06:48 AM
This sounds like Stargate Atlantis: Fantasy Edition.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-01-27, 07:26 AM
I think the illithid should build an even bigger Death Star. That seems to be the hip thing for galactic empires to do these days.

If you have the Elder Evils book, have a look at Pandorym. It's an imprisoned highly lawful god-killing psionic entity. Illithid would be happy to make full use of that.

Yora
2017-01-27, 07:27 AM
Maybe the gith have not taken action yet. But now they will and they are not really interested in keeping the world intact as long as the ilithids don't get it. Ilithids need living humanoids to reproduce and that's their weak point where they can be kept from expanding further and replacing their losses.

Bit like Starcraft, actually.

Scowling Dragon
2017-01-27, 01:07 PM
Lots of neat ideas here.

I will check out Pandorym. It sounds more like what I want. The reason I mentioned Gods in this case is because the Ilthid menace was once so great that even the Blood war stopped for a moment to think that maybe they should focus on the Ilthids instead.

Gods keep other gods in check. But what about beings that don't want ANY god around?

Im thinking that the PCs will very often have to make deals with the "Villains" of settings. The Arch Lich, Asmodeus. Pretty sure none of these guys would be happy with some other arch villain taking their turf.

Also I will check out Stargate Atlantis.

Gith are also interesting.