PDA

View Full Version : Warforged Limits of components?

Triskavanski
2017-01-27, 03:51 AM
Trying to figure this bit out with Warforged components.

Any character capable of creating a magic item can make the same magic item as a warforged component, and any warforged character capable of using a magic item can use the same item as a warforged component. Warforged components use the special rules given below, and otherwise conform to the normal rules for creating and using magic items

So According to this, I could take something like the Sandals of Harmonious Balance and make them into a warforged component.

A warforged component usually occupies the same space on the body that a magic item of the same kind normally would. Components that do not occupy any space on the body cost twice what they would cost as ordinary magic items. These components only work when bonded to the body of a warforged; they are not usable by members of any other race.

If I did that and embedded the sandals, I would take up my feet slot. But I could pay x2 the cost (So like about 28k) to not have it take up that slot, letting me put on say, boots of speed. But is there anything to stop me from doing the same with boots of speed and embedding them as well?

Could I do the same thing for say an Armbow, so it doesn't take up my hand?

Uncle Pine
2017-01-27, 04:05 AM
In general, you can make any magic item "slotless" by doubling its price. Normally, the only reason you can't make weapons slotless (unless you animate them) is because you need to wield a weapon to attack with it. However, I'm not sure how that would translate to things like the armbow and the armblade.

Triskavanski
2017-01-27, 09:03 AM
I See. Could be some fun things there.

Since grafts are magic items in their creation, would it be possible to create them as warforged components?

Necroticplague
2017-01-27, 10:58 AM
I See. Could be some fun things there.

Since grafts are magic items in their creation, would it be possible to create them as warforged components?

Grafts aren't magic items. Fiend Folio (page 207), Libris Mortis (79), both state this, while Lords of Madness more dances around the subject (says any abilities they give are EX, that they don't radiate magic or have CL, or count against magic item slot limits).

That aside, since grafts don't use up slots already, and already are a permanent modification to a creature, what purpose would this serve, even if you could?

Triskavanski
2017-01-27, 12:51 PM
Ah I thought they became all EX and part of the flesh when they were attatched.

Namely certain grafts, like the one that cuts off your legs to replace them with a snake tail or the fiendish wings would be pretty cool ones to use it. Like some sort of modular guy.

GrayDeath
2017-01-29, 02:11 PM
You just gave me some very interesting ideas, thank you!

Triskavanski
2017-01-30, 06:51 PM
Well, you're welcome. I'm pushing to see how this character turns out.

unseenmage
2017-01-30, 11:10 PM
Some tables play using the 'Constructs are Magic Items' rules interpretation. I have used smaller Constructs as Embedded Warforged Components in at least two games. The Spider Thief and Spellsong Nightingale from WotC's Clockwork Wonders archive are grand choices.

Extradimendional spaces are fantastic too. An Enveloping Pit in you belly, a Handy Haversack in one are, and a Portable Hole in another? Yes please!

Also, the only benefit I see from turning Grafts into Embedded Warforged Components would be that they become untargetable as a seperate object when inactive and only a Warforged can activate them.
But they ARE already grafts so those interactions are niche at best.

Fun thought, what happens to the Embedded Components when the Warforged is affected by the Greater Humanoid Essence or Incarnate Construct spells?
By RAW iirc, the Greater Humanoid-ed Warforged can still access them while the Incarnate has a rougher time of it. The Incarnate has to UMD just to use the things and they should/could/would rip through the new fleshy bits when accessed.