PDA

View Full Version : Rogue halp!

GreyBlack
2017-01-27, 08:02 AM
Hello everyone! So I'm a 3.5/PF veteran and I was recently tapped for a new 5e game. Pre-gen characters. Of the characters available, I decided to go with the Lightfoot Halfling Rogue (Criminal background, Thief archetype I believe), because I'm kind of in the mood to steal everything that isn't nailed down and on fire (inclusive "and", not one or the other). I'm familiar with the basic mechanics (get advantage, sneak attack, and otherwise hide in an ally's backpack to snipe with a crossbow), but I'm wondering if there are any other tips or tricks I should be on the lookout for. I get the feeling that I will be angling for the "Lucky" feat early on, as it will help significantly with sneaking and stealing, but am I missing anything else?

EDL
2017-01-27, 08:55 AM
I started with the same pregen in my first 5e game)
As my personal opinion, i'd choose Arcane Trickster over Thief. Having a familiar is great (scouting tool, free advantage etc), some cantrips and low-level spell can also help a lot.

Specter
2017-01-27, 09:53 AM
- No need to hide in a bag. Just stay behind someone taller.
- Check with your DM how he'll rule Sleight of Hand in combat. Can you use it to take someone's held object? If yes, then definitely disarm everyone.
- As for feats, Magic Initiate is also a goood choice: you can get a familiar (which can give you advantage) and two cantrips, which can make you much more versatile.

Good luck.

JellyPooga
2017-01-27, 11:09 AM
If it's the pre-gen Thief from Lost Mines of Phandelver, then I heartily recommend a little dip or all-out multiclass to a Charisma-based spellcaster (I went for Warlock, but Bard or Sorcerer are also totally valid). I got the impression that whoever made that pre-gen didn't play Rogues much...you don't even start out owning a dagger! What Rogue doesn't have a small collection of knives for Pete's sake!? That dump-stat Intelligence means you're not much of a Thief IMO; not if you want to roleplay it "properly" a least; no "cunning plans" (unless they're of Baldric level "cunning"), useless at Investigation, can't tell reality from an illusion...Rogues should be street-smart, inquisitive and cunning, not thick-as-a-brick Int 8. You can't even play the con-man, despite that high Charisma, unless someone else comes up with some "cons" to pull.

ChubbyRain
2017-01-27, 04:23 PM
Hello everyone! So I'm a 3.5/PF veteran and I was recently tapped for a new 5e game. Pre-gen characters. Of the characters available, I decided to go with the Lightfoot Halfling Rogue (Criminal background, Thief archetype I believe), because I'm kind of in the mood to steal everything that isn't nailed down and on fire (inclusive "and", not one or the other). I'm familiar with the basic mechanics (get advantage, sneak attack, and otherwise hide in an ally's backpack to snipe with a crossbow), but I'm wondering if there are any other tips or tricks I should be on the lookout for. I get the feeling that I will be angling for the "Lucky" feat early on, as it will help significantly with sneaking and stealing, but am I missing anything else?

The optimal weapon for the rogue is the dagger. You can do so much with a dagger. Like most rogues in previous editions, the base weapon damage doesn't matter, you want to sneak attack.

You either sneak attack or set up for sneak attack.

One dagger in each hand, you can dual wield (bonus action) thrown weapons.

Melee

Move next to creature
Attack creature with dagger
Hit: Cunning Action disengage and run away
Miss: Determine if you want to dual wield and try for another stab or disengage and run away.

"Range"
Move into position
Throw a dagger
Hit: keep moving, cunning action hide/dash/disengage as needed.

Miss: Throw second dagger, keep moving.

Now say you find a mage, one that doesn't have a good melee attack but can keep finding you or getting in position to hit you no matter where you are?

Climb onto bigger creature (acrobatics (Dex) )... Climb on them and they have to use an action to get rid of you. Stab them until they die or you are knocked out, they are going to be able to hit you no matter where you are so... Take him/her down with you.

Deleted
2017-01-27, 08:33 PM
I found this recently...

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?395706-Person_Man%92s-5E-Rogue-Guide

Very insightful, a bit outdated, though should work well for you OP. I would really take a look at the "Ways to get advantage" section.

GreyBlack
2017-01-28, 07:42 AM
Thank you all for the insight! I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes.

Just with regards to spellcasting though... I have a general stereotype for being the "Spell Caster General" in whatever group I'm in, so it would be fun to break it up.

@ Specter: Something else I'll want to check into is whether I can sleight of hand objects _on_ to someone in combat. Sleight an oil flask onto someone with a short lit fuse for fun and adventure, for example. ::bigevilgrin::

ChubbyRain
2017-01-28, 06:26 PM
@ Specter: Something else I'll want to check into is whether I can sleight of hand objects _on_ to someone in combat. Sleight an oil flask onto someone with a short lit fuse for fun and adventure, for example. ::bigevilgrin::

One of the big things with 5e is... Ask your DM.

Personally, I allow my players to use skills in fun and interesting ways, but some DMs are picky about that sort of thing.

MustacheManny
2017-01-29, 12:16 AM
The optimal weapon for the rogue is the dagger. You can do so much with a dagger. Like most rogues in previous editions, the base weapon damage doesn't matter, you want to sneak attack.

Why does base attack not matter? Wouldn't the extra damage from a short sword or even a short bow be more useful than a d4 dagger, even when you include the sneak attack?

Deleted
2017-01-29, 12:28 AM
Why does base attack not matter? Wouldn't the extra damage from a short sword or even a short bow be more useful than a d4 dagger, even when you include the sneak attack?

The base doesn't matter because it is 1 damage difference between d4 and d6 and 2 from d4 to d8.

The dagger gives you a lot of flexibility by allowing your to TWF, throw, TWF+Throw, and melee with one hand.

The majority of your damage, and you should be getting this each round mind you, is sneak attack.

Giving up all that flexibility for 2 damage and locking yourself into one fighting style (for the most part) hurts the rogue. The rogue needs to adapt to each situation to stay alive.

If you hit with your first attack, and do Sneak Attack, there isn't much reason to attack to stick around where you might get hit my a club to the face or a hold person to the brain.

Being able to throw your first dagger and then use a bonus action to throw your second one if the first one missed is another chance to not lose out on sneak attack.