PDA

View Full Version : Critique on this magic item?

Sir cryosin
2017-01-27, 08:52 AM
So I was thinking of adding a magical maul into my campaign.

Runehammer: as a action you can spend a charge to strike the ground or wall and place a Glyph of warding.

I'm trying to copy the Skyrim dawngard rune hammer.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-01-27, 09:00 AM
So I was thinking of adding a magical maul into my campaign.

Runehammer: as a action you can spend a charge to strike the ground or wall and place a Glyph of warding.

I'm trying to copy the Skyrim dawngard rune hammer.

One note for completeness sake:

This has the following advantages over casting the spell normally:

casting time reduced from 1 hour to 1 action
Reduces component cost from 200 gp to 0 gp
I assume the only available effect of the glyph would be explosive runes? Otherwise, what spell and where's the spell slot coming from?

Assuming 4 charges and a recharge of 1d4/day, this is a tremendously powerful defensive item for preparing a fortification. Traps traps everywhere. Offensively, it's not as good since the effect is stationary. If you allow the spell glyph variant (and don't charge spell slots), it's broken beyond belief.

ETA: Overall rating: Legendary. 4 simultaneous point-blank mini-fireballs per day (except with your choice of damage type) with a little set up? Yeah...that's a problem.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-01-27, 09:05 AM
One note for completeness sake:

This has the following advantages over casting the spell normally:

casting time reduced from 1 hour to 1 action
Reduces component cost from 200 gp to 0 gp
I assume the only available effect of the glyph would be explosive runes? Otherwise, what spell and where's the spell slot coming from?

Assuming 4 charges and a recharge of 1d4/day, this is a tremendously powerful defensive item for preparing a fortification. Traps traps everywhere. Offensively, it's not as good since the effect is stationary. If you allow the spell glyph variant (and don't charge spell slots), it's broken beyond belief.

Obviously the 'required secondary powers' need to be specified (I'd put in a clause along the lines of "if you are a spellcaster, you may expend one of your own spell slots to utilise the spell glyph version"), but I think the concept is fine. I'd have given it 3 charges, but that's a matter of taste. It might just about squeak into the rare category, though it might be safer to make it a +1 hammer and put it in the very rare category. Oh, and it should definitely require attunement.