PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a Pathfinder Prestige Class Idea [PEACH]

BoreiBahamut99
2017-01-27, 01:50 PM
I want to make a prestige class that I've taken to calling "Taijutsu Master." If you can't tell, I've taken Naruto as a base, particularly Might Guy's use of the Eight Inner Gates, though this could also be seen as a parallel to Goku's Kaioken technique. The obvious basis is giving an ability similar to rage, but with some additional bonuses and drawbacks, along with a later-level ability to heighten the effects voluntarily; I think this ability should be called "Frenzy," though feel free to suggest another name. Next is either granting special actions one can use while in this state, or granting abilities one can use any time. I feel I should grant a mix of the two; a few abilities mirroring Guy's "Time of Day Animal" attacks like Hirudora come to mind, along with maybe something like letting the character use 2 Combat Styles at once. What do you think? What drawbacks/bonuses should Frenzy gain?

Morphic tide
2017-01-27, 06:48 PM
Given that you want it based on two characters with a significant Monk feel and the name is distinctly Monk/Ninja themed, you may want it to have a Monk ability for the prerequisites. I'd go with Flurry, so that a dip into Monk fills that requirement.

Again, based on the things you are inspired by, the mechanic should be Con saves based on level of unlock, failure causing damage based on your Strength to Constitution ratio, with slightly exponential growth. I'll give a list example, as I like lists:

Stage one: DC 4 Con save, +2 Str, +1 Dex & Con
Stage two: DC 5 Con save, +4 Str, +2 Dex & Con
Stage three: DC 7 Con save, +8 Str, +4 Dex & Con
Stage four: DC 10 Con save, +14 Str, +7 Dex & Con

Alternatively, you could replace the DC with flat damage, but that makes it massively sub par when you lack easy healing.

As for other abilities, a melee focus with the ability to attach Trips, Disarms, Sunders and so on to your Unarmed attacks would work out fairly well and counter much of the downsides of having a rarely used feature. Trips, in particular, make for a nasty trick to pull.

BoreiBahamut99
2017-02-01, 10:02 AM
Ok, so I think I've finally decided on what the main thing will be for the class:

•Burning Spirit

-Stage One: +4 STR and DEX
•Rounds/Day = 5+CON mod, +2/level
•+10 ft. to movement speed
• Upon activating, DC 5 Fort save, fail means you take damage equal to your unmodified STR modifier
•Upon exiting, you are exhausted for 1 round and fatigued for a number of rounds afterwards equal to 2 times the number of rounds spent in "Burning Spirit."
-------------------------------------------------------------
-Stage Two: +6 STR and DEX
•+10 MORE ft. to movement speed
•+2 dodge bonus to AC
•-2 rounds per actual round
•DC 8 Fort save, fail means you take damage equal to your STR modifier +2
•Upon exiting, you are exhausted for 2 rounds and fatigued for a number of rounds afterwards equal to 2 times the effective number of rounds spent in "Burning Spirit."
-Stage Three: +10 STR and DEX
•+20 MORE ft. to movement speed
•+1 Attack/round at highest BAB (Stacks with "Speed" and/or "Haste")
•-3 rounds per actual round
•DC 10 Fort save, fail means you take damage equal to your STR modifier +3
•Upon exiting, you are exhausted for 6 rounds and fatigued for a number of rounds afterwards equal to 2 times the effective number of rounds spent in "Burning Spirit."
-Stage Four: +14 STR and DEX
•+20 MORE ft. to movement speed
•Unarmed Attacks deal damage as if 2 size categories larger
•-4 rounds per actual round
•DC 13 Fort save, fail means you take damage equal to your STR modifier +5
•Upon exiting, you are exhausted for 8 rounds and fatigued for a number of rounds afterwards equal to 2 times the effective number of rounds spent in "Burning Spirit."
-Stage Five: +20 STR and DEX
•+100 TOTAL ft. to movement speed
•Unarmed Attacks deal damage as if 4 size categories larger
•Only lasts 1 round
•Can make 2 Full-Attack Actions or Flurries of Blows in this round
•+5 dodge bonus to AC
•After the round is over, you fall unconscious and immediately begin dying. This dying can only be stopped by way of a successful "Wish" or "Miracle" spell. After you've died, you can only be brought back to life by "True Resurrection."
•DC 15 Fort save, fail means you take damage equal to your STR modifier +7
The extraneous bonuses from each stage stack. So at stage 4 you have a total +60 movement speed, a +2 dodge bonus to AC, +1 attack per round (like having a speed weapon), and your unarmed strikes deal damage as if you're 2 sizes larger. Stage 5's description, however, covers all the bonuses you get at that stage.

Does this seem balanced? I have no idea.