PDA

View Full Version : Info on baby mimics please!

Bayonet300
2017-01-27, 02:52 PM
I understand a baby bestiary has been published recently which includes a picture, information, and a specific name for baby mimics. Could someone please share that info or any original ideas on baby mimics, please?

BiPolar
2017-01-27, 03:01 PM
I understand a baby bestiary has been published recently which includes a picture, information, and a specific name for baby mimics. Could someone please share that info or any original ideas on baby mimics, please?

Cribs, onesies, mobiles, etc.

JumboWheat01
2017-01-28, 08:59 AM
They mimic pants. You never know if you're putting on real pants or a young mimic until suddenly you have no legs.

Armok
2017-01-28, 12:54 PM
Those times where you could have sworn you left a sock or a pencil right over there, but it mysteriously vanishes?

Mimics.

Temperjoke
2017-01-28, 01:18 PM
Headcanon - Mimics bud out little mimic spores when they reach a certain point in their life cycle, which are spread over a wide area via the methods that normal spores travel (air currents, piggy backing, etc.). After a length of time, when certain conditions have been met, the spores begin growing and develop into baby mimics. These baby mimics first begin with simple shapes and textures, like pebbles or wood chips, targeting small insects at first. As the mimic grows, it begins targeting larger prey, such as various rodents, and develops more complex shapes to facilitate this. Under perfect conditions, such as a wide diversity of prey, mimics have been able to reach amazing sizes in growth and complexity, emulating entire houses and cave complexes. Mimics have also been documented as entering symbiotic relationships with the weaker humanoids they once preyed upon, by allowing them to use it as a den, anticipating that larger, more nutritious prey (such as adventurers) would come for the weaker humanoids. Even if better prey does not appear, hosting a den of weaker monsters affords it a stable food supply, similar to how humans keep livestock.

pwykersotz
2017-01-28, 01:47 PM
I can't speak to any official baby bestiary, but I figure Mimics would be fairly interesting as baby's.

I picture the mimic parent as having a lot of babies at a time. More than four, less than twenty. I picture them being born by the mimic transforming into an object that would lure prey, and the babies being born as trappings to that object. So a chest filled with small items, or a dinner table set with silverware. The parent would choose the first form of their children.

Other than the form they were born into, the babies would be slow and poor at transformation. They would learn over weeks and months, subsisting mostly on the remnants of what their parent consumed. Eventually they would scatter or die. Some would be picked up by passing people who think they are mere objects, others would be devoured by their siblings. A few would move onto their own hunting grounds. And if they grow too big without moving on, their parent recognizes them as a threat and kills them, or dies trying.

I picture these little terrors as savage, toothy little monstrosities that are full of energy and have only minor patience. If you watch a baby mimic for long enough, it can't help but reveal itself through movement or change as it tries to find a position or form that will entice its food to approach.

Deleted
2017-01-28, 02:15 PM
Headcanon - Mimics bud out little mimic spores when they reach a certain point in their life cycle, which are spread over a wide area via the methods that normal spores travel (air currents, piggy backing, etc.). After a length of time, when certain conditions have been met, the spores begin growing and develop into baby mimics. These baby mimics first begin with simple shapes and textures, like pebbles or wood chips, targeting small insects at first. As the mimic grows, it begins targeting larger prey, such as various rodents, and develops more complex shapes to facilitate this. Under perfect conditions, such as a wide diversity of prey, mimics have been able to reach amazing sizes in growth and complexity, emulating entire houses and cave complexes. Mimics have also been documented as entering symbiotic relationships with the weaker humanoids they once preyed upon, by allowing them to use it as a den, anticipating that larger, more nutritious prey (such as adventurers) would come for the weaker humanoids. Even if better prey does not appear, hosting a den of weaker monsters affords it a stable food supply, similar to how humans keep livestock.

I like it!

I also like the idea that mimic babies are raised as humans or whatever race until one day (re: puberty) they realize they are literally a monster and go insane.

The world around them is filled with monsters, things that are very real and very evil. Being a monster means that your entire life was a lie and that you are one of the creatures that everyone you grew up around wants dead. They will probably think you killed the "real you" and replaced him/her.

Over the years of isolation and needing to be a monster to survive... The mimic finally breaks and becomes the monster they always were.

Cespenar
2017-01-28, 04:01 PM
Since mimics default to a treasure chest form, a baby mimic can very well disguise as a gold coin. Then, just when you put your hand into your coin purse to pay for that healing potion, something bites your finger off.

Millstone85
2017-01-28, 04:13 PM
I too know nothing about that baby bestiary. Sorry.

But in 4e, the classic object mimic was essentially the juvenile stage of the creature. Older ones became impersonators, with the creepy habit of taking on the appearance of their most recent victim.